Is it rude to barter?

So I am looking and very interested in something a member has on here but he also has a second item that is slightly appealing. Is it viewed as rude if I were to ask for a better price if I were to take both? Generally when people sell cars and such they account for some wiggle room, didn't know if that is also the case with these kind of items?

I would say yes it would be rude to ask for a lower price if they specifically state in their ad that they will not entertain lower priced offers or if the price is "firm".

If there is no reference of not wanting to get lower priced offers then ask away in my opinion. Just don't offer half of market value unless you want to tick them off.

I remember an ad on another venue from someone who sold a lot of nice stuff at good prices and had a good reputation - that anyone who contacted him wanting to get the item for less than the "firm" asking price, would be blocked from buying anything he was selling because he continued to get lowball offers despite clearly stating he would not sell the item for less than the listed price. My guess is it didn't make much difference.

I find that a fairly large percentage of people on pretty much any "classifieds" site don't read the ad fully before they start asking questions or making offers. On a local classifieds website over half of the questions I get from buyers are clearly answered in my ads. I politely answer their questions but sometimes after multiple questions that are clearly answered in my ads, I start just sending them a link to the ad with "That is answered in the listing"

Last edited:
Yeah if anyone ever put firm than that certainly would be rude and id never ask someone to do better on the price. This is just a general listing with a price attached of $600 each that's been up for a while, I'm mind was thinking maybe I'd get lucky and they would entertain an offer a little less if I took them both. I try to be a very respectful person and being new here I'd hate to offend someone.

I've had numerous guys contact me and ask for a lower price on various past listings in the classifieds.

Sometimes it's been ridiculously low, other times only slightly lower. Human psychology is a strange thing......guy gets $5 off the asking price of a $50 item that sells for $100 new and they're all excited about the five bucks. Wouldn't pull the trigger @ $50, but yaps about the great deal they got for $45.

I've had numerous guys contact me and ask for a lower price on various past listings in the classifieds.

Sometimes it's been ridiculously low, other times only slightly lower. Human psychology is a strange thing......guy gets $5 off the asking price of a $50 item that sells for $100 new and they're all excited about the five bucks. Wouldn't pull the trigger @ $50, but yaps about the great deal they got for $45.
Yeah I was thinking something like a 5% lower price if I took both. Combines the shipping and seller would only have to go out of his way to make one package trip instead of 2 occasions. Haggling for anything that is less than $500 seems almost not worth the effort but I get some people are in a tight spot but still want something that makes them smile

Reactions: oaks1450

Good observation. Some people feel that they simply cannot pay asking price. A long time friend of mine, when asked for a lower price on a bid he presented to a customer would often scratch out the bid price and write down a price significantly higher! One lady laughed and said, OK, good joke, I will pay the bid price. He replied, no, that price is gone. This is your new price. And......SHE PAID IT!

Yeah I was thinking something like a 5% lower price if I took both. Combines the shipping and seller would only have to go out of his way to make one package trip instead of 2 occasions. Haggling for anything that is less than $500 seems almost not worth the effort but I get some people are in a tight spot but still want something that makes them smile

Maybe rather than making an offer right up front for less, just ask them if they would consider dropping the price if you bought both of them and see what they offer.

Be polite and the other person has the right to say no. Personally I don’t take offense in barter or even lowball offers because I can always say no. However if someone is pushy or rude about it then it’s an automatic no. However I know some people do take offense from barter and lowball offers, but you can always walk away.

Last edited:

Exactly........I used to love watching people on EBay bid over and over until the price was higher than buying retail as they got caught up in "winning" the auction. I was at Cabela's once and saw a bunch of specific broadheads for sale. I bought all of them. Made quite a profit on them. LOL

I don’t think it’s rude to makes offers. Some people seem to be delusional about what their used stuff is worth. Offer after offer that is lower than their price can help snap them back to reality. I personally don’t like trade offers. If I wanted what you’re offering to trade me, I would already own it. But I don’t get mad when someone tries. It’s all part of selling used. If you don’t like all this, don’t sell your used stuff and become a retailer.

Reactions: qball
Regardless of the wording in the listing, it is a judgment call. The prospective buyer should be sufficiently familiar with the item to know the range of reasonable pricing. In cases where I have perceived the listing price to be on the high side of the market, I have asked the seller if he "could entertain an offer of.....". I have had acceptances of such offers where the listing was "firm". And the rejections I received were, in most cases, offered politely, as were my offers. IMO, if the offer is not an obvious low-ball figure, it is an acceptable communication.

Last edited:
Reactions: grackleblast
I don’t think it’s rude to makes offers. Some people seem to be delusional about what their used stuff is worth. Offer after offer that is lower than their price can help snap them back to reality. I personally don’t like trade offers. If I wanted what you’re offering to trade me, I would already own it. But I don’t get mad when someone tries. It’s all part of selling used. If you don’t like all this, don’t sell your used stuff and become a retailer.
Seems most people on here are feeling the same. I don't feel bad about making an offer now

With forty years of buying, selling and trading hundreds of airguns under my belt, I don't worry about insulting a seller that thinks a reasonable offer is insulting. Rather, reasonable offers are a good way to eliminate unrealistic sellers that you probably don't want to deal with anyway. Same goes for buyers. I expect buyers to barter; but soon as they insult me, I send them packing.

The key to successful bartering by buyers and sellers alike is avoiding insulting offers, because that's a sure way to end negotiations instantly.

To paraphrase- bartering is an art form. Here's how it's done-

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller