• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is it rude to barter?

Unless it is marked firm then absolutely by all means it’s ok to barter. In reality there are many items in the classifieds that are priced rudely high. Lol. Most people think their stuff is worth more than reality anyway.

The first couple times I see the same ad with a too-high price I smile inwardly, knowing the seller has built in some room for those who want to feel like they got a deal when they talk him down.

After the ad keeps getting renewed at the same price for too many times though, I realize the seller is one of them, "I know what I got" types and doesn't realize their item is overpriced.

So I am looking and very interested in something a member has on here but he also has a second item that is slightly appealing. Is it viewed as rude if I were to ask for a better price if I were to take both? Generally when people sell cars and such they account for some wiggle room, didn't know if that is also the case with these kind of items?
Hello @DLAfab

No it is not, it is called "The Free Enterprise System" and the majority of the Forum members will respect a friendly and fair offer. Good luck (y)

ThomasT

One thing that does burn my butt as a seller is to have someone give you a lowball offer and then if you accept it ether ignore you and not repond back to you or then make up some bs reason they can't buy it. They like playing games with people. Most guys selling on here have better things to do than play games with these guys. I even had one guy tell me I was trying to scam him because I came way down on my price to accept his offer and then he wouldn't buy it. That is why I don't like selling stuff online. I wish we had more airgun shows for FTF bargaining like regular gun shows.

Last edited:
So I am looking and very interested in something a member has on here but he also has a second item that is slightly appealing. Is it viewed as rude if I were to ask for a better price if I were to take both? Generally when people sell cars and such they account for some wiggle room, didn't know if that is also the case with these kind of items?

I believe that 'rude' is a construct of a narcissistic mindset; ergo, when I hold the door for an alphabet person and they 'go off' on me for a simple, gracious act or when a WTS posting does not mention FIRM and I counter the posted price with an explosive reply!

In my mind, there is an ocean of difference between the offence a person takes (which is 100% their own emotional responsibility) vs courtesy, grace and mercy.

They are not in direct opposition and I offer this; look at the post, if you get the feeling that the person is 100% Merica!, consider not sending a reply with anything but an acceptance of the stated price.

Spoke to the seller this afternoon and I'll definitely be taking one of them off his hands. As far as package deal for the 2 I'm having to pass for the moment. The listed price of each didn't include shipping. Payment options are shipped to me COD which adds $40-$50, plus shipping costs on top or I send him a money order and when he receives it he will ship direct and not have to pay the COD fees. He has good feedback on here and for what it's worth, talking with him I get a sense I can trust him. So sadly I won't be adding 2 to my collection but I'll at least be getting 1.

For a guy who only joined 6 days ago, I wish you luck on your purchase.
I'd like to think we would all wish everyone luck on a purchase regardless of when they joined. Is it a risk buying private sale items online across the country... absolutely! But I also have the view that if I make a $700 mistake trusting someone and it is so detrimental to my life than I really shouldn't be indulging in hobbies anyway. Maybe even in my older age I am naive but I like to think there are still people out there with good values and honest.

One thing that does burn my butt as a seller is to have someone give you a lowball offer and then if you accept it ether ignore you and not repond back to you or then make up some bs reason they can't buy it. They like playing games with people. Most guys selling on here have better things to do than play games with these guys. I even had one guy tell me I was trying to scam him because I came way down on my price to accept his offer so he wouldn't buy it. That is why I don't like selling stuff online. I wish we had more airgun shows for FTF bargaining like regular gun shows.

Great post, 49.

I have a decades-long friend... correction- acquaintance, that will interrogate and haggle sellers incessantly; then (often) beg off if they meet his offer. Having had similar experiences dealing with him, long ago I started telling him, "I'm not interested in dealing with you Rod; it never works out."

At a recent gun show he asked a seller if he could pick up a gun on his table. The seller replied, "No, I've had interactions with you before. Just move along!" I couldn't stop laughing.:ROFLMAO:

I agree with you whole-heartedly about selling online, especially airguns. SOOO much better to look one-another in the eyes, have conversation, see, handle and shoot the gun, and avoid shipping.

Not sure why people are referring to dickering over price as bartering. Bartering literally involves no money - bartering is trading. Everything mentioned here is about sale prices so it's not bartering.

That said, I agree that if an ad says the price is "firm" you're on thin ice by making a lower offer. I know I discount some things very well and state a firm price and if someone comes along and offers a lower price, I know they're just an a**hole I don't want to deal with. Most things I don't put as firm and I have to be open offers.

As a buyer I negotiate price as it aligns to my perceived scarcity and chance of missing the opportunity. I try to not buy stuff I won't use, so if I find something I am looking for on the used market in really good shape, I usually do want it and if the price is significantly better than what I was planning to pay new, I don't dicker. In the firearms world there are items that are hot sellers even at retail price so you have to be fast and pay asking price. The classifieds here seem to move more slowly.

As for the guy who ups his price when the buyer gets serious - I wouldn't do business with a seller who renegs on their original offer. I'm sure some sales people find that amusing but for me in business I'm always watching out for a rat. I would spit on whatever he wrote his new price on and walk out.

Some buyers definitely enjoy the game more than the value of the transaction. What a tremendous waste of everyone's time. Like AirNGasman described, they too deserve to be blocked and cut off because they're not trustworthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: theLBC
I believe that 'rude' is a construct of a narcissistic mindset; ergo, when I hold the door for an alphabet person and they 'go off' on me for a simple, gracious act or when a WTS posting does not mention FIRM and I counter the posted price with an explosive reply!

In my mind, there is an ocean of difference between the offence a person takes (which is 100% their own emotional responsibility) vs courtesy, grace and mercy.

They are not in direct opposition and I offer this; look at the post, if you get the feeling that the person is 100% Merica!, consider not sending a reply with anything but an acceptance of the stated price.
odd how peeps can use dog whistles to make something politcal....? WTH

A willing buyer
A willing seller
two things that matter...
a deal can be struck if true intent to buy and true intent to sell exist.
in the end everything is negotiable

Many people attach emotional value to material things... for me, i would rather make a buyer happy to get a deal than to let stuff sit in my safe for another year.

Culturally speaking - some cultures do not feel they had a satisfying transaction (no matter the price) if they didn't get to haggle.

Learn to have fun, learn to let go.... after all it's just stuff.

True story from this week:

Last year i listed two BRAND NEW Co2 Beretta pistols in classifieds. I had intended to shoot them with my grandson but that opportunity never afforded itself. Eventually One Sold after many months, and yes i offered the buyer a discounted price, and we both were happy - i don't like safe queens and he wasn't sure if he would like it enough to keep it or pass on.
The other pistol didn't sell and i kept relisting it... I dropped the price to as low as "i thought was reasonable" finally i discontinued the Ad on AGN.
Several months later i got a phone call from a older guy in TX who was doing a internet search for the same gun I had listed that "didn't sell" even though the ADD was expired and not active, He found me because i always include a phone number in my contact info as i like talking to people whenever possible.
He politely asked me what i wanted for the gun... i told him and he countered with an ADD at Pyramid Air showing the same pistol on sale for almost $100 less then my asking price... my initial thought was "what the hell" but, i verified the ADD and said "my bad" I told him i would take $25.00 less then the Pyramid Air price and pay to ship it.
We were both happy!
While boxing it up i remembered i had a bunch of Co2 accessories for the gun and sent the buyer pics.... he bought all of them.
Now i am happy as a clam in mud and my safe is more roomy and a really nice guy in TX who lost his wife a while back is feeling more connected to the world.
Although he is not an AGN member, i encouraged him to join and to check out Field Target as the people are GREAT to be around... he may just show up!

Last edited:
odd how peeps can use dog whistles to make something politcal....? WTH....

No dog whistle, no politics.

Actually happened and was just an example how people dont take personal responsibility for their own emotions.

This applies to haggling as well, courtesy is key.

odd how peeps can use dog whistles to make something politcal....? WTH

A willing buyer
A willing seller
two things that matter...
a deal can be struck if true intent to buy and true intent to sell exist.
in the end everything is negotiable

Many people attach emotional value to material things... for me, i would rather make a buyer happy to get a deal than to let stuff sit in my safe for another year.

Culturally speaking - some cultures do not feel they had a satisfying transaction (no matter the price) if they didn't get to haggle.

Learn to have fun, learn to let go.... after all it's just stuff.

True story from this week:

Last year i listed two BRAND NEW Co2 Beretta pistols in classifieds. I had intended to shoot them with my grandson but that opportunity never afforded itself. Eventually One Sold after many months, and yes i offered the buyer a discounted price, and we both were happy - i don't like safe queens and he wasn't sure if he would like it enough to keep it or pass on.
The other pistol didn't sell and i kept relisting it... I dropped the price to as low as "i thought was reasonable" finally i discontinued the Ad on AGN.
Several months later i got a phone call from a older guy in TX who was doing a internet search for the same gun I had listed that "didn't sell" even though the ADD was expired and not active, He found me because i always include a phone number in my contact info as i like talking to people whenever possible.
He politely asked me what i wanted for the gun... i told him and he countered with an ADD at Pyramid Air showing the same pistol on sale for almost $100 less then my asking price... my initial thought was "what the hell" but, i verified the ADD and said "my bad" I told him i would take $25.00 less then the Pyramid Air price and pay to ship it.
We were both happy!
While boxing it up i remembered i had a bunch of Co2 accessories for the gun and sent the buyer pics.... he bought all of them.
Now i am happy as a clam in mud and my safe is more roomy and a really nice guy in TX who lost his wife a while back is feeling more connected to the world.
Although he is not an AGN member, i encouraged him to join and to check out Field Target as the people are GREAT to be around... he may just show up!
That’s a good idea to include a phone number. The ad will live on forever to be found with searches 👍.

Reactions: cavedweller
Heck no its not rude. If you go about it the right way. I buy so much stuff from all kinds of people. Lots of folks list stuff up to show off what they have others have no clue what current prices are and some just have to much dang money so they think they deserve to get top dollar. Other folks are spot on and I normally just send a ILL TAKE IT if that is the case. If you want to make an offer explain your offer and how you ended up at that price. This normally works better in person or on a phone call not on a keyboard but that is how the forum is and where you found your deal so you have to deal with the cards on the table. Good luck.

Reactions: ba49
One thing that does burn my butt as a seller is to have someone give you a lowball offer and then if you accept it ether ignore you and not repond back to you or then make up some bs reason they can't buy it. They like playing games with people. Most guys selling on here have better things to do than play games with these guys. I even had one guy tell me I was trying to scam him because I came way down on my price to accept his offer and then he wouldn't buy it. That is why I don't like selling stuff online. I wish we had more airgun shows for FTF bargaining like regular gun shows.
the problem with putting on more shows is it is a lot of work and money. Maybe some of us can put on a free "parking lot shows" just get permission to hold a show and advertise for local 's to bring your own table and sell but stress Air Guns only . IT would be a start . and maybe a flop the first time ? but maybe not . Another possibility would be hold it at the local PB range ?
Personally i travel and stay in a motel overnight ('s) , i go to 3 or 4 shows a year but i can as i am retired . this year i will travel to 4 .