Is it necessary to have +100$ rings? Come on: it is just a pcp

$250 PCP, $100 scope, $15 scope rings...fine.

$500 PCP, $150 scope, $30 scope rings...okay.

$2000 and over PCP, $1500 and over scope, $30 scope rings...WTF!!!

No, it's not necessary. No, not everyone is rich and can afford it. Skimping out is a way of thinking and is personal to each individual. Would you buy a nice house with a poopty foundation? Would you put cheap Chinese tires on a Dodge Viper ACR or any other high performance race car for that matter? Buy what you can afford or save a little more if it will make you happy. If you skimp out and the product didn't live up to your expectations, only then will you know. If it has worked for you, then it's all good. 

$250 PCP, $100 scope, $15 scope rings...fine.

$500 PCP, $150 scope, $30 scope rings...okay.

$2000 and over PCP, $1500 and over scope, $30 scope rings...WTF!!!

No, it's not necessary. No, not everyone is rich and can afford it. Skimping out is a way of thinking and is personal to each individual. Would you buy a nice house with a poopty foundation? Would you put cheap Chinese tires on a Dodge Viper ACR or any other high performance race car for that matter? Buy what you can afford or save a little more if it will make you happy. If you skimp out and the product didn't live up to your expectations, only then will you know. If it has worked for you, then it's all good.

Good answer.

I've come to trust Sportsmatch after having many over a great number of years but haven't tried many of the newer and more expensive ones. 

It's been mentioned already in some ways but the tolerances ARE important. How tight, also. Two examples... I mounted a Weaver V 24 on my S200 and it was WAY off and due to limited adjustment range, wouldn't zero. Troubleshot and ultimately found the rings were twisted compared to each other and were bending the scope. Different rings... problem solved. Never noticed with those rings previously but they were BAD. No idea what brand though. Second example ... a friend mounted a Sightron Slll to his ft rifle and found it difficult to range with... a LOT of slop in the side wheel. After quite a bit of tinkering and research , he found torque specs that were in the low INCH pounds. Torqued it to spec and problem solved.

So for me, the adjustables like Sportsmatch and Eagle Vision are a minimum quality and similar for fixed. 

Bob

I've used Sportsmatch rings with excellent results on several guns now, including a Diana 460 that never showed POI shift. I also have had a few sets of rings where the scope did not "sit" well into the ring saddles. These days I always look and watch how easily the scope settles into the ring base saddle. Sometimes you can see a bit of misalignment before you torque the caps on. The Sportsmatch rings eliminate the concern of this since you can unlock them, mount the scope and torque the caps, then adjust and lock the base. NO stress on the tube. And the windage and elevation adjustment is very nice when needed. Expensive-yes. Worth it-IMO yes.