Is it just me?

Can't say I've ever had any issues with the one on my Crown. Though, I can see how it could be an issue. I sling mine, sometime on my back, even, and never had it catch on anything. Not once. Lots of hunting done with it, mostly in the brush/woods. I think normally the cocking handle would be facing away from me so, maybe this helps?

Do you happen to be left handed?

Or are there others who find the drop down handle on the side lever of a gun a real nuisance? I find it’s way too easy to catch the handle on my jacket or on an object while out hunting causing the bolt to partially open without me noticing. For speed shooting or bench work they might be fine but for hunting 👎

Bb
Agree 1000% and it's been my main complain for sometimes, when I got the 2 Airacudas I immediately found out I hated the thing having been used to the slim, very flush with the action sidelevers on my Evanix guns.

As a hunter I would never buy a gun with that type lever.

Can't say I've ever had any issues with the one on my Crown. Though, I can see how it could be an issue. I sling mine, sometime on my back, even, and never had it catch on anything. Not once. Lots of hunting done with it, mostly in the brush/woods. I think normally the cocking handle would be facing away from me so, maybe this helps?

Do you happen to be left handed?
No, I’m a righty

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Well BB, since I don't hunt, it's never been as issue for me.
On the flip side, for gun's with heavier hammer springs, the lever sure helps over the bolt ...... and the handle give you something to grab onto.

Unfortunately, like many things in life ......... not everybody is going to be happy :unsure: .
Absolutely but even with a monster hammer spring, the mechanical advantage a lever gives, cocking isn’t hard but I can see for target shooting, smoother is better.

Bb

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I have a few that I have caught in the past. Typically I will change the way I hold the rifle and it isn't an issue. But I do agree that they can be a pain for sure. Would be nice if you could have a lock of some kind that would prevent the handle from moving. Though on the flip side if something were to get stuck on the handle I wouldn't want the handle to break.

Reactions: bucketboy
Or are there others who find the drop down handle on the side lever of a gun a real nuisance? I find it’s way too easy to catch the handle on my jacket or on an object while out hunting causing the bolt to partially open without me noticing. For speed shooting or bench work they might be fine but for hunting 👎

Bb
Yeah, I don't think it was designed for hunting, more for target work.

No Problems with my Side Bolt action Rapids......
But Since I Now use a 3-Piece bolt handle design...I use a Tight lock-up!!
So unless there is a direct blow to the handle... it stay put very well!!
With the 3-Piece bolt handle, the lock down of the bolt is SMOOTH....
20201028_121656.jpg

20201028_121746.jpg

It's a matter of what you're doing. If you buy a gun optimized for bench competition, it's likely going to suffer a bit as a carry-around hunter - and vice-versa. Yep, that handle is a damn nuisance, unless you're shooting a bench competition, where it's pure gold. Who does, and doesn't have a problem with it will be entirely based on how they shoot.

GST

No Problems with my Side Bolt action Rapids......
But Since I Now use a 3-Piece bolt handle design...I use a Tight lock-up!!
So unless there is a direct blow to the handle... it stay put very well!!
With the 3-Piece bolt handle, the lock down of the bolt is SMOOTH....
20201028_121656.jpg

20201028_121746.jpg
Clever👍

Reactions: Ca_Varminter