• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is it better to say nothing when someone asks about something that is illegal to do?

For sure there are too many laws and fellow air gunners want to help each other.
But why give advice that would be illegal to do,would that be good advice?
Like there is an accident and you rush over to help,you did not look both ways and now you are part of the accident.
I also think people do not respect air guns because they are "only pellet or BB guns".
Respecting all things is a better way,which to me means if you are going to "kill" something it is legal to do and you do it in a way that makes suffering at the very minimal.That is just my opinion.What is yours? Thanks

Theres so many different laws state to state and country to country that whats illegal in SF isnt illegal in MT. If someone asked me for advice on the best power level or caliber to shoot a specific animal or advice pertaining to taking animals illegally and I know its illegal to do so in that area I would let them know what the law states. If they didnt know it was illegal then they just learned something and if they already knew it was illegal then its on them to make the right choice. I wouldnt give them any info regarding taking the animal illegally.

Reactions: SHOMER
For sure there are too many laws and fellow air gunners want to help each other.
But why give advice that would be illegal to do,would that be good advice?
Like there is an accident and you rush over to help,you did not look both ways and now you are part of the accident.
I also think people do not respect air guns because they are "only pellet or BB guns".
Respecting all things is a better way,which to me means if you are going to "kill" something it is legal to do and you do it in a way that makes suffering at the very minimal.That is just my opinion.What is yours? Thanks

The laws in my area are different from the laws in someone elses area. It is on you to know the rules in your area. If we are to stop talking about anything and everything that would be illegal ANYWHERE..... well we might as well just stop using this website.

Know your own laws of your area, because it isn't anyone else's fault if you do something illegal.

Reactions: SHOMER and qball
To me, this is quite simple:
If I know it is illegal I will not even participate in the thread.
If it is borderline, as in something that I know, or SHOULD KNOW, to be illegal, I will not participate in the thread.

I am not going to tell the person what to do, then tell them that its illegal. I’m just not going to be a part of it. There are legal standards at work here, and I do not want to get caught up in someone else’s problem because I participated in an ill-considered thread.

Now, there are limits to this, since I cannot possibly know what is or is not legal everywhere. If it’s illegal where I live then its simple again - see my points up above.
If it’s illegal where you live, and I am aware of that, still not gonna play.
If you live in the UK or somewhere where it is illegal for you to have an air rifle shooting above 12 ft lbs without a FAC, or something similar, that’s your problem, not mine. I am quite happy to respond to a Canadian asking about how I moderate the sound of my air rifle, but I will not advise them to do it. They need to know their laws, that’s not my job. But I would not even think to suggest to someone in the US a way to moderate the sound of a firearm, other than applying through the Alphabet org for a NFA permit.