• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is it a tool or a toy for you?

Would you call your 22 rf a toy? Put a slug in and your toy is getting close to same thing. I get it that none of you feel a cap ( gun) and air gun are the same things. And understand your not going around telling young kids that a pellet gun is a toy. But i do feel its a bad idea kidding or not to call what we shoot toys. Words matter and to any and all who hear the words gun and toy are very difffrent things. Same reason we dont call drugs candy. Think its best not to call a gun a toy.

Would you call your 22 rf a toy? Put a slug in and your toy is getting close to same thing. I get it that none of you feel a cap ( gun) and air gun are the same things. And understand your not going around telling young kids that a pellet gun is a toy. But i do feel its a bad idea kidding or not to call what we shoot toys. Words matter and to any and all who hear the words gun and toy are very difffrent things. Same reason we dont call drugs candy. Think its best not to call a gun a toy.

You make a great point. Others might not understand “Toy” in the sense that it’s an adult toy not to be taken lightly. I think about a father with a 5 yr old son hearing his dad call his airguns toys. The kid may understand toy to be like his toys and that could lead to a very bad situation. 
Unless you’re talking to airgun buddies who understand what you mean when you say toy, it’s best to not refer to them as that

Wow, this is getting out a control. My grand son plays with “ toys “ of all kinds. It is rare we refer to any of them as toys. It’s hey you want to play catch, shoot your bow, ride your skate board , ride your bike, ride your go cart, ride the four wheeler, ride the horse, [ helmet, because its dangerous ) play with your race cars, shoot your pellet gun, go fishing in the boat etc. It’s so rarely ever any of it is called “ toys”, in fact the only time I can think of as calling any thing a toy is when we say, pick up, clean, or put up your toys. And it’s such a vague statement it can mean any thing from marbles, to four wheelers. So really nothing should be called a toy really, as each one no matter how small or insignificant has at least a chance of injuring or killing you, or some one around you. Even “ toys” need to be treated with respect and handled appropriately. So no I don’t refer to my 22lr or my 44mag, or my or my grandsons bike, or wagon, or trampoline, or match box cars or most other things as toys. Its usually referred to as what ever it is. Pick up your bike, clean up your marbles, put up your skate away so no one slips on it and kills them self. If you have fun using it, I can see it referred ( generically ) as a “toy”. How many times have you heard or even said your self, “ hey check out my new toy”. That being a gun, truck, bike, pellet gun, play station, knife, swinging targets to see who can win while playing game, ( game and toys kinda go hand in hand) heck I’ve even heard girl friends referred to as toys. And my wife watches enough of those true life murder shows, I know how deadly THEY can be. I say lighten up, and enjoy your toys, life will go a little smoother, hopefully. Tools keep me working all week,( can’t wait tell the weekend) and toys are what i am waiting to enjoy when iam not using my tools. Tools= work ,Toys= enjoyment ( both when used properly of course) 

There are “ candy “ drugs ( gummie bears, chocolate bars, jelly beans almost every thing can be made with THC or worse) there are cookies with drugs, there are fruit drinks, coffeee, soft drinks all with drugs. Call it what is. I would imagine the houses that have that kind of “ candy” put it where the kids can’t get it, and obviously don’t offer it to them as their “ candy “ . It’s still going to be referred to as “ candy” it’s just who your talking to, you have to choose your words correctly, same thing as pellet guns, vs guns, vs toys 

Yeah i guess things are getting out of control, crazy times when some idiot can say stupid stuff like might not be the best idea to call guns toys. What ya gona do? Takes all kinds i guess. Dont let it get you down smoke some candy have a shot or two of corn mash kool aid and go play with your toys. Dont worry the crazys like me dumb enough to step off the train will all soon enough be run over by it.

Even a box for a daisy red Ryder says “not a toy” and must “include adult supervision”, with all these danger notifications, so that there in my opinion says it’s not a toy. 

Heres how I look at it- if you were introducing your 8 year old son or daughter into your Airgun, would you start the lesson off as “let’s now get into a bigger toy now that I think you’re ready for” 

To me, any gun that should be actually called a toy are ones that do not shoot any projectile, has an orange painted cap at the muzzle, and at best has a click noise to simulate some kind of discharge noise.

Or those annoying pop guns that kids pop all day at your local bass pro or cabelas, those are toy guns. 

I thought this was obvious but it seems a few people on this thread took the meaning of the word toy as something a child plays with. As stated multiple times in this thread, the meaning of TOY when referring to airguns is an ADULT TOY. The same goes with my $2000 electric skateboard that goes 26 mph, it’s my toy but I wouldn’t let my 5 year old daughter ride it. Collectible cars, drones, planes, etc ALL can be TOYS. All of them provide pure joy but can also inflict serious injury or death if mishandled. It’s the context that the word TOY is used. All semantics. 

To me, any gun that should be actually called a toy are ones that do not shoot any projectile, has an orange painted cap at the muzzle, and at best has a click noise to simulate some kind of discharge noise.

Or those annoying pop guns that kids pop all day at your local bass pro or cabelas, those are toy guns.

I guess you never heard of nerf guns

Yup. Semantics. Some folks delight in them. Anyone with the least acquaintance with philosophy or politics understands how semantics can be used in the pursuit of baloney, to use a technical term. How you frame a question, even if in your mind, makes a huge difference as to how it gets answered.

But you can never control how the next guy frames it. You can try to control for various interpretations, but if you go too far in qualifying and elaborating the question, everyone will be too bored to answer it.