• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is it a tool or a toy for you?

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
There are two types of people in the AG world. Those who call there airguns toys and those who call them tools. For me they’re both. It’s a toy when I’m just target shooting, enjoying the satisfaction of a good group. Then it’s a tool if I need to take out some pest.

I assume the majority of airgunners are target shooting, followed by the minority who get one for a pest problem. 

Do you guys call your airgun(s) a tool or toy?

***EDIT***
I thought this was obvious but it seems a few people on this thread took the meaning of the word toy as something a child plays with. As stated multiple times in this thread, the meaning of TOY when referring to airguns is an ADULT TOY. The same goes with my $2000 electric skateboard that goes 26 mph, it’s my toy but I wouldn’t let my 5 year old daughter ride it. Collectible cars, drones, planes, etc ALL can be TOYS. All of them provide pure joy but can also inflict serious injury or death if mishandled. It’s the context that the word TOY is used. All semantics. 

All of my guns, air or otherwise, are tools (even when I'm just target shooting with them) and I treat them as such. This is a big part of why over the years I've gotten away from fancy wooden stocks, engravings, fine finishes, etc. I like my tools to be rugged, light weight, well balanced, and dependable most of all.

^^^^ This 💯% . Now don’t get me wrong. I do play with them. But at the end of the day I have a purpose for those tools. 
How about Functional Art ? I very often think of my guns as this. 

Useful toys. I won't call them a tool, because I can't honestly say I bought them to handle pest problems (or I'd have stopped at one...). They're fun, and I enjoy pesting with them. If I didn't, I could probably buy 100 traps for the same money. That said, I'm with Spartan on appearances. Function before form no matter what. A pretty rifle that won't shoot isn't worth a can of beans to me.

GsT

Interesting perspectives.

Just to be clear, when I say toy I don’t mean toy as in their lethality should be taken lightly. I mean toy as in Adult Toy that is for pure fun. I know there’s some guys here that have airguns just for competitive shooting or even just plinking in the backyard. 

As for target shooting it takes a certain type of person to like it. Certainly one that has patience. It’s easy to hit your target successfully one time. But when you do it multiple times, getting your breathing right, your grip right, keeping the gun from canting, smoothly squeezing the trigger so you don’t pull the shot, when those things are executed properly for a multiple shot group it is very rewarding.

Also for me the better I get with target shooting, the better I can get the job done when pesting

I used to hunt with a bow and arrow, not anymore. My wife/kids hated that smell in a house when I returned home with a full trunk, and very quickly I lost my interest for that taste as well. And the hunting trips up - very North were not cheap neither.

Also used to compete in archery for a decade or longer, not anymore. How much money I spent every year for that sport running around at tournaments... for $3 medals? I have couple boxes of those now I can give you for a beer ;) Shooting sports not making any dollars at all. Five years ago I turned my money fully towards vacationing and travelling with family and we've been to places.

I like shooting rings no matter with a bow or airgun, TOYS, and I just like expensive, my bicycles, drones or photography or cars...

I got into it to have a hobby I could foreseeably continue well into my declining years and, if lucky, almost regardless of my health. A toy(s).

And that wouldn't take up a ton of room ... but that's not turning out to be true. :D

And that was very cheap to do once the initial investment(s) was made.

I do use mine to shoot squirrels with, so it functions as a tool too. But secondarily.