Is hatsan edge worth it.. and for how long?

I don’t know why but I can’t create a new topic so I am editing this one to ask: Is hatsan edge vortex worth it. I know what you all said, but for now I want to know if hatsan is a good company ( also would be nice to know if they man. In China) and if the Hatsan Edge Vortex is able to last for at least 2 years of everyday shooting. Also I’d like to know if it has a FPS of 800 (in .22) as advertised with, say, Crosman premium pellets/jsb pellets

They are all built to a pricepoint, most of the cheap ones are cheap for a reason. You can get a Hatsam 95 refurb from Field supply for $129, a friend of mine just got one and he says it shoots effectively as good as his RWS 460 ($500 gun). The Walther Terrus is a good gun, Airguns of Arizona has the for $149, but only in .177. If you can find a used RWS 34, that is a good gun that will last a lifetime with spare parts available. 

I'm afraid you are looking for a Unicorn. Any gun in that price range is going to be a crap shoot. You may luck up and get one that will last a while and shoots O.K.

I'll second that!

Joe Wayne Rhea stated in one of his Cyclops youtube videos, that box store buys are most likely about a 1 in 3 chance of getting a good shooting gun out of the box. Kenneth Kormendy (passed now) disagreed; but in most every review he did, he pointed out things that had to be fixed to get the guns up to good performance. Seeing that I'm on my third box store gun (and, it shoots fantastic, for about $140), I affirm Joe W Rhea's assessment. It can be like buying a tool from Harbor Freight: sometimes it's a jewel right off; other times, you got to exchange it numerous times.

So, if you're looking for a lower costing, quality air rifle that works out of the box, typically without fail, then pay more for a German-made (not just engineered) air rifle (RWS/Diana; Weihrauch; or Walther). If you choose PCP or pumpers, then there's even more (expensive and better) choices to work through. 

If you're willing to be patient and invest the time to buy and shoot (then return it and try again), then there are some pretty nice shooting low end air rifles (yes, even Chinese ones) to choose from, including Crosman, Gamo, Hatsan, Benjamin, etc. In the end, I think this hobby will become like my woodworking hobby--I will have to become a machinist/tinker to some degree to service the spring coils or gas rams just like I had to learn how to sharpen chisel and jointer blades, along with hand saws and planer blades, since you don't buy to new tool when the old one gets dull. 

Best wishes,

Arch_E

I'm afraid you are looking for a Unicorn. Any gun in that price range is going to be a crap shoot. You may luck up and get one that will last a while and shoots O.K.

I'll second that!

Joe Wayne Rhea stated in one of his Cyclops youtube videos, that box store buys are most likely about a 1 in 3 chance of getting a good shooting gun out of the box. Kenneth Kormendy (passed now) disagreed; but in most every review he did, he pointed out things that had to be fixed to get the guns up to good performance. Seeing that I'm on my third box store gun (and, it shoots fantastic, for about $140), I affirm Joe W Rhea's assessment. It can be like buying a tool from Harbor Freight: sometimes it's a jewel right off; other times, you got to exchange it numerous times.

So, if you're looking for a lower costing, quality air rifle that works out of the box, typically without fail, then pay more for a German-made (not just engineered) air rifle (RWS/Diana; Weihrauch; or Walther). If you choose PCP or pumpers, then there's even more (expensive and better) choices to work through. 

If you're willing to be patient and invest the time to buy and shoot (then return it and try again), then there are some pretty nice shooting low end air rifles (yes, even Chinese ones) to choose from, including Crosman, Gamo, Hatsan, Benjamin, etc. In the end, I think this hobby will become like my woodworking hobby--I will have to become a machinist/tinker to some degree to service the spring coils or gas rams just like I had to learn how to sharpen chisel and jointer blades, along with hand saws and planer blades, since you don't buy to new tool when the old one gets dull. 

Best wishes,

Arch_E

Ok, right now I am thinking like this: 

The only thing that I could get and not have to tweak would be a Diana/RWS airgun that would sorta fit my budget. So, I’d like to ask a few last questions (I hope).

1. Are most Diana’s springers or gas pistons

2. Do they have stupid anti bear traps, and if they do, are they the same/different then most airguns (Aka do they go out of a alignment super easy), if their springers

3. How much would the cheapest one w/ scope (also how good/bad are 4x32 scopes), that is either used in good condition (no torque/leaks, power problems, etc.) or new.

Thank you,

Antoni K

You want a scope too? That's a whole 'nother discusion. Breakbarrel guns are hard on scopes, most cheap ones will not last. A lot of expensive scopes won't last either, but if they come with a good warranty you can send it back for replacement when it breaks. UTG's with the 30mm tube are very popular and can be had for 1 or 2 hundred. Don't forget $30 for a good one piece mount also.

You want a scope too? That's a whole 'nother discusion. Breakbarrel guns are hard on scopes, most cheap ones will not last. A lot of expensive scopes won't last either, but if they come with a good warranty you can send it back for replacement when it breaks. UTG's with the 30mm tube are very popular and can be had for 1 or 2 hundred. Don't forget $30 for a good one piece mount also.

I just want to know - would you think that the Hatsan edge vortex in .22, and its 3-9x32 scope would last for ~1-3 years. If not, would a low-cost Benjamin do the job. 

Ok, right now I am thinking like this: 

The only thing that I could get and not have to tweak would be a Diana/RWS airgun that would sorta fit my budget. So, I’d like to ask a few last questions (I hope).

1. Are most Diana’s springers or gas pistons

2. Do they have stupid anti bear traps, and if they do, are they the same/different then most airguns (Aka do they go out of a alignment super easy), if their springers

3. How much would the cheapest one w/ scope (also how good/bad are 4x32 scopes), that is either used in good condition (no torque/leaks, power problems, etc.) or new.

Thank you, Antoni K

Spring coils are more numerous than gas pistons, typically speaking; though Crosman and Gamo have moved largely to the gas rams. There are some Diana spring pistons. I don't have any knowledge about them. I have 1 spring coil (Weihrauch 97K) and 2 gas pistons (Gamo and Crosman). The spring coil out shoots either gas ram (probably cause its a well-made Weihrauch). I have really gotten good results with my Crosman Nitro Venom .177; but, it's not as consistent (should be read as, "the shooter is not as consistent") as the Weihrauch, whose heft makes it more forgiving. AND, my HW97K is not pellet picky, nor does it's bear trap bother me, nor has it had any issues in the first tin (500 pellets).

I do want a Diana 34 (spring coil); but, it's hard to justify (especially during tax season). 

I'd prefer a 3-9 or 2-7 scope; but according to those more knowledgeable than I, a good 4x32 beats an avg variable scope any day of the week. I thought that I would shoot with open sights, since that how I've shot all my life. Now, at 60, I'm definitely liking my scope (any scope for that matter).

Best of luck!

Archie

Hatsan is made in Turkey not China. They dont rebrand them like others do. Mine shoots the cphp 760 fps. Hatsan tests with lead, crosman tests with alloys (lite pellets) to make there numbers look better. I bought a crosman first and returned it for the hatsan edge. The scope that comes with it was very usable. Just dont drop it on the scope. That's how I broke my scope. My edge is 3 years old, broke in, and better then ever. Milage may very ......

I see a lot of people commenting about hatsan but never owned one. Smh

I have had my Hatsan Edge (Vortex gas piston) .22 cal since August 2017. 😊

When I received the gun, due to a problem in transport I assume, the piston was defect. Where I live there is no Hatsan, there is no PA, just nothing, so I just had to bite the bullet and pay to get a new piston installed. 😣
The responsible gun smith was irresponsible, and said nothing about putting in a smaller piston than the original, instead of 20FPE I’m getting about 13 to 15FPE. 😡

The scope the rifle was packaged with a Hatsan “Optima 3-9x32” – now that is just a sophisticated equipment for self-frustration, as it does not have any parallax adjustment (and is adjusted to 100 yards, so continually blurry at typical airgun ranges). I’m not sure it would hold zero. 😣

Well, I got myself a Leapers UTG 6-24x50 scope, much better, still under $100, and now I was actually making progress.
I learned the artillery hold.
And I’ve shot around 3000 pellets over these past 1.5 years, that's over 5 pellets each and every day....! 😃

At 33 yards, I’m getting 10-shot groups of around 2", when the wind leaves me alone (field rest).
At 60 yards, I’m getting 2.5" to 3" groups (10 shots, with the right pellets, and low winds, and high concentration, field rested). 

Now, my scope has lost zero twice in the last couple of weeks – it just decided to shoot 3" high. Not cool. I realize that I get what I pay for (sometimes a bit more, that just depends). I’m basically done with spring-rifles, for a hole litany of reasons not necessary to elaborate here. And I’m done with cheap scopes as well. The forums have been teaching me this (and many many other things): Buy once, cry once. 😢 ==>> 😄

For getting results twice as good as mine, without messing up scopes due to the double recoil of a spring-powered air rifle (steel spring, or gas spring like the Vortex), I recommend getting an entry level PCP for 200 to $300, a 40$ Chinese pump, and I think you’ll never look back. 😊
But if you don’t want to mess with filling airtanks & amp and stay with springers, I’d go for the SIG Air ASP20 or the Diana 340 N-TEC – they are powerful for longer ranges and hunting, but according to airgun pope Tom Gaylord – much less hold sensitive than others. And high quality (as in “pass-on-to-your-children”-quality). 

I have the Edge vortex in .25cal. The .22 vortex would have a lil more FPS, but the .25 will hit harder. It makes that smack @ POI like my Benjamin Trail NPXL725. But the cheapest I've seen those is about $200 and comes with a picatinny mounted Centerpoint 3-9x40AO mildot scope. Great gun, as I have that one too. And the Edge barreled actions are the same as the Striker 1000's. So the Striker 1000x wood stock fits the Edge barreled action with no mods. Just drops right in. Good shooting, accurate rifle I got on eBay from Pyramid Air for $99.99. And, like the Striker 1000x, not overly pellet picky either.

Hatsan Edge .25cal vortex;

1555250471_18106752745cb33d277ae401.57560373_IMG_6322.JPG

Dropped into Striker 1000x wood stock /Centerpoint 3-9x40AO mildot scope;

1555250567_10754746925cb33d87cc5db0.13751530_IMG_6340.JPG

Benjamin Trail NPXL725;

1555250824_6215194185cb33e8873f664.98147923_IMG_4888.JPG

And the Crosman GuideHawk NP .177cal ultra magnum I got at Midway USA on their clearance page for $70! A Crosman 2016 limited production rifle. With the Sonicking 3-9x40 scope I won on Joe Rhea's Youtube contest! It's identical to the Genesis and shoots 1250FPS.

1555250929_7957012745cb33ef10fdb02.16871311_IMG_5537.JPG