• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is FX the PCP-world equivalent of Tesla?

I love my 2 FX airguns. I have a Dreamline Saber Tac and the Impact MK2 700mm sniper edition. Collectively, these 2 guns alone cost me over $5K. I’ve had both for about 3 months. I waited about 6 weeks for the Dreamline and a full 9 weeks for delivery of the Impact. They have both been pure pleasure to shoot.

So, this week FX released the Youtube video dump of the new M3. It all seems so choreographed now. The same heavy hitters and influencers of the PCP world will be showing us the new M3. It looks amazing and I want one already but, here’s the thing. Twice I’ve bought FX guns under the impression it was the cutting edge of technology and accuracy only to watch a “new model” launched soon after I purchased mine. Have we become programmed into just accepting this?

Like Tesla, FX goes for the fences in tech advancement and this is great. It seems part of the result is we have become conditioned to just accept that any new FX offering will involve the following:

Huge initial marketing dump on Youtube

”Available on pre-order” yes, we had 5 or 6 as soon as they released but, now they’re gone and it’s a 3-6 month wait

Parts and accessories that are “also available” but, again waiting months for a product

Not so much a rant here as an observation and a question; Is this the future of PCP airgunning?

I can see the similarity too but, the difference is Apple tells consumers in advance of launching new products. The only surprises are the actual changes. FX has consistently dropped new products into the market with no pre-launch marketing. I understand why they are doing this. Pre-launch marketing is an instant hit on current models revenue. In a pre-launch model the producer is typically the one who absorbs this revenue hit. However, in the FX model it’s the consumer who eats this. I figure the launch of the M3 made every MK2 worth $500-700 less than the day before the launch.

Yeah, I'd say Apple is a better example. Both routinely release similar products with small updates and convince those with the disposable income (Or lack of self control) that they "Need" the latest and greatest. IMO there's nothing "wrong" with this as a business practice, especially when we're talking about a purely discretionary purchase. I do however have issues with the planned obsolescence and inability to do self repair pattern we see with Apple. Resist the urge to upgrade and in twenty years that Mk1 (Or M3) is still going to work as intended, not just be a worthless paperweight like a $1000 Iphone.

If you really feel the 'need' to purchase the newest models of guns being launched, then the marketing campaigns have been very effective on you.

I am older now, and having worked for a time in the Silicon Valley I also felt that need for a while. But over time (age and wisdom?) I took a step back and started instead buying new things which were on the downward slope of price and technology. Older, cheaper models of stuff. When you look at things from a little distance, many times you find that the older models will do everything you need, and usually more.

O.P., you have 2 very excellent guns. Step back and determine what they won't do for you as compared to the newest models. And determine whether the new ones would make your shooting any better, or give you more any accuracy. You may likely find that money would be better spent on ammo and practice as you may not yet even be able to utilize the guns you already have to their fullest potential.

Yes, I use an iPhone. But it is an iPhone 6. Am I tempted to upgrade it? Not in the least as it more than fills my needs for a phone.

One of the most recent air guns I purchased was a used Daystate from 2016. Having only received it yesterday and shot it once, I find that it is an incredible piece of engineering.

Did I purchase an M3 when they were launched and became available yesterday? Well, that is a different issue altogether which I don't want to discuss...😉

Innovate or die. No gun from any vendor is going to remain the "latest and greatest" for very long, particularly in a market with strong demand. There are already some great names in airguns that are failing at this - they make great guns, but they're the same great guns they've been making for years, so they're getting less and less talk and falling behind the innovators in capturing and maintaining attention. (It would be interesting to see sales numbers, but I don't have that...) Now those great older designs will still do everything they used to, and most still have decent factory support, but they're not getting the 'buzz' that I suspect is critical to maintaining and increasing revenues. FX has brilliant marketing, and that's what we're seeing. Tesla and Apple, whatever their differences, also have outstanding marketing. 

GsT

If you really feel the 'need' to purchase the newest models of guns being launched, then the marketing campaigns have been very effective on you.

I am older now, and having worked for a time in the Silicon Valley I also felt that need for a while. But over time (age and wisdom?) I took a step back and started instead buying new things which were on the downward slope of price and technology. Older, cheaper models of stuff. When you look at things from a little distance, many times you find that the older models will do everything you need, and usually more.

O.P., you have 2 very excellent guns. Step back and determine what they won't do for you as compared to the newest models. And determine whether the new ones would make your shooting any better, or give you more any accuracy. You may likely find that money would be better spent on ammo and practice as you may not yet even be able to utilize the guns you already have to their fullest potential.

Yes, I use an iPhone. But it is an iPhone 6. Am I tempted to upgrade it? Not in the least as it more than fills my needs for a phone.

One of the most recent air guns I purchased was a used Daystate from 2016. Having only received it yesterday and shot it once, I find that it is an incredible piece of engineering.

Did I purchase an M3 when they were launched and became available yesterday? Well, that is a different issue altogether which I don't want to discuss...
1f609.svg

Very good advice here, and if I may, just remember in the Terminator series, the T1 model always ruled over the current version when it was all said and done, ha ha!

Run to the CHOPAAA!

FX has the best marketing team. They have some of the best YouTube personalities working for them and do a great job at marketing and branding their stuff all over the internet.

I wish the other manufacturers, specifically Daystate, could get behind some quality YouTube channels with a high production value to promote their stuff. I feel like they don’t have a very good presence compared to others and their guns are too good to be ignored.

more like Apple......

Yeah just like Apple they bring new models out too soon and make older ones near on worthless. They're Will be a he'll of a lot of the mk1/2 for sale sensibly priced soon though 😂

Only thing that would keep the price high in the used market is demand. Even then, I'd never pay more than 70-75% of retail for a used rifle. 

It would be great of the Mk1/Mk2 versions dropped in price on the used market as folks would be able to purchase excellent guns at a lower cost. Only time will tell if that ever happens though. The M3 by no means has made the older versions 'near on worthless'.

One area which isn't discussed much is how the aftermarket and airgun manufacturers make real money on accessories.

For example the Saber Tactical Impact adjustable butt stock, bench version monopod and bag rider will set one back about $560. So for a $2,000 gun, this equates to about 28% of the gun's purchase price.

An FX caliber change kit for a Crown is $400, or about 24% of the total cost of a synthetic stocked Mk2 Crown.

Want to add an extra 580cc bottle to your Crown? You have to be willing to pay an extra 21% of the total cost of the gun if you want one.

Now I don't fault either the manufacturers or the aftermarket vendors at all for this. Their stuff is well engineered and manufactured, and it serves a real purpose to many. And many times they can't keep up with demand. But once again, one really needs to take a step back before accessorizing their gun and decide whether that new barrel and pellet probe are really worth a quarter of the price of an entire gun to them.

In this respect the airgun manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers have really exceeded even what Apple has accomplished in the way of accessory sales after the initial main item purchase.

No. Unlike electronics and vehicles, there is a physical limit to how much energy you can get from compressed air. Let’s be real... all of these fancy gadgets and add-ons don’t contribute to any real performance increases. You’re still just pushing a pellet at 880 and you’ll never get a slug to match the power of a 22lr. FX is more like Gucci than Tesla or Apple.

No. Unlike electronics and vehicles, there is a physical limit to how much energy you can get from compressed air. Let’s be real... all of these fancy gadgets and add-ons don’t contribute to any real performance increases. You’re still just pushing a pellet at 880 and you’ll never get a slug to match the power of a 22lr. FX is more like Gucci than Tesla or Apple.

That's why I'm waiting till FX comes out with a light-gas version of the Impact ;) 

(I want to be able to shoot a pellet through tank armor, one of NASA's versions fires a small projectile at up to 8.5km/s)

Fx is the equivalent of dog poop.

Oh, wait does that violate this garbage sites 'laws' where you're not allowed to state an opinion that may come off as insulting or offensive even if its true to your perspective?

Weird. Funny thing though about snowflakes, you all melt when faced with the slightest bit of heat...

I'm insulted that members are comparing the likes of FX to a world changing, innovative brand such as Tesla I have my life savings invested in. Please remove this topic as it violates me

:)

Clearly you are a coward...created a new account just today to trash the forum members. I am not an FX fan-boy, I do see the pluses and minuses for FX and their products...but principled people do not hide and snipe from behind a new identity on this forum.

This is not acceptable. I didn’t start this to be a troll. How about you not be a troll too?

Which one is your account? Sellout2FX or ellout2FX's behalf?

Now, Now, Guys

Maybe LQQK @ this as Are Not WE all lucky to Simply have choices. Remember econ. 101 ! I was ALL set to buy the Dinosaur MK II and could not find one ...even had some playing with me as to: how much I would offer!

Alas, A new choice appears and now those same teasers have put up their same very Dinosaurs before some of us are Not wise enough to see the Absolute Flood of FX MK II's now on the market and all of these gougers Frightened of Loosing the all mighty dollar....DUH1..... dump it before I get Killed they say...on the ignorant and fund the new toy!! 

For me the game changer came with the intro of the New Switchable cocking lever Option/Re-Design from left to right.......This did indeed make a simple upgrade aftermarket Not applicable as this portion of MK I & MK II Do Not have this New cut out & personally I wish to cock from left side while Not removing my trigger finger for a quick follow up shot... the other stuff is simply aftermarket add- on's ....Oh, & the other Gage...Now (3) is Very nice as well!...Heck Jus' this morning I noticed Ernest offering a short throw cocking lever (case in Point) God Bless! econ 101!