Is FedEx's service as bad in your area as in mine?

First of all I would like to say that I have to vent about FedEx's delivery system. Most of my airgun related purchases end up being shipped via FedEx.
I don't know why, but they have a terrible record,as far as I'm concerned, in the past 3-4 years.
I'll start off with my latest airgun purchase (purchase of a high end airgun anyway). I bought a dream tact from UA back in October of 21'. Of course I was checking the tracking often because I was anticipating the minute I would receive it. I tracked it from Utah all the way to Memphis and then to Nashville (about 40 miles from my house). I was breathing a sigh of relief because, I just knew it would be at my house just outside of Clarksville, TN by 10:00 the next morning. At around midnight I checked again and the package had just departed Nashville. Hurrah! The next morning I woke and immediately checked to see where it was. They had put it on a truck and shipped it 250 miles east right at the North Carolina border,where it was sitting. Of course I got on the phone to find out what the hell was going on. The guy told me, "Don't worry, it's going to be delivered today. Besides,it wasn't supposed to be delivered until tomorrow, originally."
I broke! "What the hell? You guys are the ones who updated the delivery date." "My package was within 40 miles of my house 9 hours ago. If I'd known you were going to ship it here via North Carolina, I'd have arranged to pick it up in Nashville."
Long story short, I finally received it at around 7 that evening.
That's just one story. It just keeps getting better. I have had 6 different shipments via FedEx since then that have been delayed, lost or stolen,or destroyed and damaged.
What the hell is going on with FedEx?
I have had shipments from Midway USA via UPS that are always on time and when I received my packages, they didn't look like someone had been playing football with them.
I wonder if other people are having these issues with FedEx delivery. Or is it just the service around my area?

FedEx contracts for delivery drivers. It's a crap shoot as to if it's good or crap. We've got a good 1 right now but have had some real losers in the past.
This…
I do small business logistics and my experience pretty much tracks with mccoy’s, UPS is alright. USPS and DHL are the heros in my experience at least in my area.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
Here UPS is the best, USPS is second although their tracking is useless, FedEx is third only because every once in awhile the package seems to zig zag all over and drive within miles of my house from FedEx location to FedEx location with no sense of efficiency. DHL took two weeks to deliver me a package shipped from 30 minutes away.

Reactions: WVaMccoy
In the past I loved Fedex, but in my area it went down the hole. We had Blue Apron and Hello Fresh for awhile and a few of the boxes arrived and literllay looked like they fell off the back of the truck and then got backed over. Countless boxes had damage that allowed the food to warm up. So in my area I prefer UPS or USPS.

Physically abusing the package is probably a specific problem and will vary with personnel in a given area, but it reflects on poor management. The shipping routing, I assume, is largely an automated function these days, run by complicated logistical management software. And there are glitches. I had a package shipped to NC from the mid-west. Tracking indicated it to be in Louisville, KY one day, which seemed logical. The next day it was headed to Iowa! I haven't had many such experiences, and I assume it results from an error in the management of the shipper's truck fleet. I guess those systems are designed for maximum efficiency of load capacity, and with thousands of packages in the system every day, I'm not surprised at errors. But there are obviously regional differences.

FedEx Ground is actually criminally negligent where I live, what a joke. People leave signs on the side of the road for them to not leave packages in the street, ...and they still do! FedEx Overnight is still, and always has been, the best in the business. Completely different divisions. Never order Ground, they're the worst. Just my learned opinion.

Fed ex sucks.

They always seem to update the delivery date to sooner than what seller estimates when they get the package, but then it gets to one of their hubs and sits for a day or two. My last big purchase they initially told me delivery would be two days early. Hooray, I was excited. Watched it and even took off work the day it was supposed to arrive. By end of day, they finally updated status as “operational errors”. It sat at their hub 30 minutes away. I watched two or three of their trucks turn around at the cul-de-sac at the end of the subdivision on the day it was supposed to arrive, and a couple the next day.
It finally arrived in decent shape at 8:30 pm a day after the original expected delivery date.

Pretty much if it’s coming FedEx, take the sellers expected date and add a day. Ignore the tracking information that says it will be coming early.

As a small business owner that ships close to 1000 packages a years i can say with utter certainty that FedEX is Not the worst..
They are a far cry from being the best, but certainly as a whole, Much better than USPS.

The Best by a mile is UPS.

My basic criteria in rating them
1) will the package reach it's destination and be on time
2) cost of shipping
3) Filing a claim or lost package recovery, USPS sux hairy balls on this, paperwork is a nightmare, and trust me they do not give 2 steaming piles of :poop: about you or your customers.

During the covid hoax I received a FedEx text that my Impact arrived. It was a “adult signature required” delivery. I was at work so called my son, nope no package. I said check the porch. Nope, no package. Called FedEx. Might as well have called the North Pole to speak to Santa.
I get home and search. FedEx guy hid the package on patio behind gas grill.
I guess that was nice, he some how knew it was fairly valuable being signature required. But he basically forged my name. Later on I asked him what that was all about. He said during covid they wanted no physical contact with us zombies. He could have at least said “back porch” on text.
Otherwise I get good FedEx service, and UPS and US Mail. Oh god, what have I done to myself.
I saw this video yesterday.

I don’t receive much via FedEx these days but multiple times in the past a package would show out for delivery in the morning and the day would go by and that night the tracking would be updated saying they attempted delivery but no one was home. On a day where multiple people were home the entire day.

We’ve never experienced that with UPS or USPS.