Is cold temperatures an issue for pellet rifles?

So I got a Diana 34EMS and just mounted a UTG droop correcting base a Vector Optics Veyron 3-12X44 scope and Vortex rings. Everything has been tightened, loc-tightened and allowed to sit overnight for the loc-tight to cure so I went out this morning to zero this new scope. At first, things went going too bad and I was in the final stages of fine tuning my scope when it appears things started to open up with flyers all over the place. This happened with both Crossman Premier 14.3 grain hollow point pellets as well as H&N 18.21 grain Baracuda Hunter pellets.
Now it may be the scope is defective but it’s an air gun rated scope with an etched reticle or it could be my general lack of experience with pellet rifles although I was shooting from a prone position with the forend resting on a sand bag on top of an ammo can a bit loosely to replicate a offhand artillery hold and I’ve been mindful of my follow through after the shot breaks. Could the cold weather here be a factor? It’s about -24 today without the windchill. I know from long range shooting with cartridge rifles, those kind of temperatures can have an effect on a bullets point of impact so I am wondering if using a rifle that has to use this same cold air rather than powder for propulsion may be having problems with these temperatures? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Recheck all the scope mount screws and most importantly the stock screws. Sometimes the scope needs to settle in the mounts and the mounts in the receiver. Mainly at the scope stop. Put a tiny piece of blue painters tape on the scope in front of a ring and watch is closely to see if the scope is moving rearward. Clean the barrel continuously until the factory oil stops spewing out of the receiver. Cold weather can be a factor but it sounds more like the above.

Do you have enough space to shoot it indoors? (I have a ten-yard basement range and it keeps me from going nuts in the winter.) If so, that would help determine if the temp is the cause. That's awful cold... I'd think that the internal lubricants the factory used aren't designed for that kind of cold and that could account for the deviations in accuracy. That a nice system and it should shoot quite well.

If you have access to a chronograph, that could add some good data too. As you know, inconsistencies in velocity can make a difference in accuracy.

And thank you for your service.

Stay well,

J~

Keep in mind cold air compresses differently than warm air. You also have heavier clothes on so your hold is slightly different. Metal expands and contracts when temps change. You may need to make sighting adjustments when extreme temperature changes take place. Just part of shooting year round.. At 35 yds my TX can change by 3/8".... sometimes less, sometimes more...but typically around 3/8"

A friend and myself went rabbit hunting years ago in extremely cold Michigan winter mornings. We both had Beeman R1’s. Never broke a spring or caused any other damage. We left the rifles in the garage overnight to adjust to the bitter cold. We would quick zero before the hunt. Point of impact does change but the group never got erratic. I wouldn’t probably use a springer for this type of cold weather hunting anymore. But then I also now live on the Gulf of Mexico. Thank the Lord!

For many years our gun club had winter airgun matches outdoors, over half of our shooters were springer shooters. Other than some re zero adjustments nobody ever had anything break due to cold weather!! Frequently we were shooting in 20-25 degree weather. If the temps dropped down near zero then to heck with it, to damn cold for man or beast!!! Overvthe years I have done a lot of cold weather soring gun shooting with no issues other than re zero for the cold!!