• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is Civility Dead?

I am a member of various forums and have to remember what is and is not allowed on each one as it varies widely. One which is political and is the wild wild west of forums. We need rules to keep things family friendly, organized and to the point of the site and various forums on this site. But like with Twitter, YouTube etc. rules and the Karens who enforce them there it can get out of control. This place is my primary air gun site, but I have started visiting another as of late. There are a lot of great guys there but some overbearing er. ah, individuals who want to boast about their skills and talk down to you like you're an idiot noob. It didn't take long for me to hurt one's feelings. He brags about his mad skills and very expensive air gun setups, any one of which I would love to have. But given the economy I cannot dump $5K on a rig when my non air gun which cost me about $700 will do everything his Masterpiece can do. My air guns have their space and the powder burners have theirs. That got me a bad boy. Thou shalt not speak of other devices which propel small pieces of lead. Thou shalt not hurt the feelings of a fellow member with a stable of $5K air gun setups, even if he was a bit of a donkey to you. If someone has five plus grand to drop on a rig just to see how far air gunning can be stretched, then by all means have at it. For me air guns let me shoot, do pest control and just have fun where it's far too dangerous to use powder burners, like my back yard. So here I am where the mods are not as strict. I get it. It's their site, they set it up and get to make the rules. I get to go elsewhere and provide view time and interactions stats that help with ad revenue, somewhere else. If someone sez something you don't like or agree with just ignore them unless they are misleading a noob and giving very bad advice, or just being rude, again. But even then, be a little reserved about it. You never know that person may have had a very tough day. If you want to go online and thrash it out over politics etc. there are places where it's a free for all. Here ya best put on your Mr. Rodgers sweater before those fingers hit the key bd. Folks lets self-censor, police, or whatever you want to call it bc if the Mods have to come in the rules will be applied, it's going to cut back on the fun factor having to tip toe to not offend anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JW652 and ChRiSiS
Have this discussion with my wife weekly! YES, civility in this country has DIED! People no longer agree to disagree & have differing opinions & views. Civility was a "grey area" that allowed us to tolerate each other. The U.S. has become a place of opposing poles with no room for a grey areas (i.e. "if you don't believe as I believe there's no room or tolerance for you!"). It greatly saddens me that lines which civilization wouldn't cross a few years back are now trampled & spat upon. We're in a sad state & it's NOT going to get better.
Agree that civility in our society died a few years back but that doesn't mean we can't have it here. I went back an had a look at the rules for the first time in years and had to clean up my previous post. I think everybody should go back and read the forum rules once a year. Its easy to slip bc I am on several wide open political sites and dude it can get rough if you like to play rough. Even there I generally try to be polite and it just aggravates the mess out of my opponents when they cant get a rise out of me.

Before I joined this forum, as required, I read the forum rules. Of those rules, rule number 1 stands out to me: "...The diversity of opinion and intelligent civil discourse is encouraged; by the same token: rude, lewd, vulgar, obscene, flaming, baiting, trolling, hateful, threatening, insulting, violent, or slanderous content will not be tolerated...".
I have agreed to abide by the forum rules, as I understand that without rules chaos is inevitable.
Being human, I am far from perfect. If ever you find my comments offensive or uncivil, feel free to point that out to me.
A recent thread I initiated provoked a few emotional and intense responses:https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/the-most-off-putting-ad-in-the-classifieds.1268961/
Rest assured, in all matters, I endeavor to treat others as I wish to be treated.
Thanks for listening [sic]
Al

Al,

I saw no issues with your post, it's your opinion and by God, you should be free to express it!

I happen to disagree with the premise of the other post cited by you but I agree that civility MUST remain or we are just as bad as the thugs that control our streets.

Dave

Reactions: qball
Al,

I saw no issues with your post, it's your opinion and by God, you should be free to express it!

I happen to disagree with the premise of the other post cited by you but I agree that civility MUST remain or we are just as bad as the thugs that control our streets.

Dave
Appreciated greatly.
I've lived long enough and observed enough to know that what is the most popular opinion at any particular time, in many cases is not the best opinion.
That's where having principles comes into play -- I'll stick to mine.

Last edited:
Why can’t we all agree to disagree? This is just a forum for a hobby with Radom people on the internet. While I also think the warning to low baller may not be tactful but certainly not anything wrong at all. If someone don’t like it then fine and don’t buy it. It is not possible to agree with everyone on everything so let it be and practice civility, we aren’t in dark ages anymore so why can’t we all be civilized people and meet in the middle or at least agree to disagree cause everyone is entitled to their opinion in this country.

No offense but y’all just a bunch of random people on the internet so what’s there to get all worked up about? Hate to break this to y’all but you gonna die and the world does not revolve around you……..it only revolves around me! 😂🤣🤣

Reactions: ChRiSiS
As the OP said, we are all humans, and therefore not perfect. We come from very diverse backgrounds in upbringing, religion, wealth, age, and you name it. Having been in the Army, I saw everything, so you just have to take what people say with a grain of salt. All of us will never agree on anything and express our opinions here. Some good, some not so good. It's a waste of time trying to convince someone of your point of view, so spend it elsewhere. It's like politics, half will love one candidate, and the other half will hate him.

Reactions: bamavet55
People nowadays are so focused on being unique and feeling special. Just go somewhere and look at people. Their clothing looks more like a costume than clothing. It’s a shame but I am to a point in my life that I feel a unique stand out person is just someone who’s good to the core. It’s a shame but in a world full of turds, normal people are getting harder to come by. Everyone seems to have an angle or a game they’re playing.