Is Benjamin too late to the party coming out with a .257 Bulldog?

I’m not into the big bore air guns really but I noticed this in the new catalog and I know some of you guys like the Benjamin Bulldog so I thought I’d point out that it’s going to be available in .257 now.
So what’s your guys thoughts on this? Is Benjamin too late to the party with this one?

7D8109B6-EB73-43C1-BA9E-C52D2BFD5D15.jpeg

Perhaps, but much will depend on the longer range accuracy on it. It seems the 257 crowd uses it for that rather than hunting. It seems like the Bulldog platform is more hunting specific and I'm not sure what their stated advantages over 9mm is for this caliber. Either way, it should be a good starting platform for those interested in doing a long range build who have an aversion to the Airforce styles. I've got a couple 257's, both based off Airforce platforms.

The Bulldog ranks right up there with any gun I know for 'Most Ugly' award, but it's hard to deny that it's been a good seller for them. I got one that's been worked over by Veradiumair and it's a stellar little gun, even if it wont win any beauty pageants.

I like the idea of a new .257 on the market. The only other offering is a Doug Noble conversion from the condor platform.
This is a great point and one that I had blinders on to. I already have two .257's, but both came to me by luck. If I were to actively search for one now, my options would be limited. I think that availability alone will be a good selling point. If it's accurate, then I'd venture a guess that it will do quite well on sales.

You buy a .257 Texan for a $1000.00 and still have to buy a $500.00 stock to make it shoot. The bulldog does have a stock and same company barrel manufacturer as Airforce. Hopefully price point still the same as original bulldog... For hunting this should be awesome.
Before getting my latest .257 AF, I would have called BS on this. The first I got was acceptably accurate... but the second is lights out. Major difference? The second has a Maddog stock.

Late to the party. My .357 I hogged out and upgrade is a pretty cool gun. But I'm not in love with it enough to add another to the collection. Damn thing takes up so much room with the goofy stock design, I wouldn't buy another even if I really wanted one.

But I have no doubt it will be a shooter. I wish someone would come out with a different stock for them

Late to the party, maybe. But sometimes late is the best time to show up.

Too bad Crosman will not incorporate this into their design.

Zo1rpSa.jpg

It will be nice to be able to buy these vs DIY.

25np0rA.jpg

TQ5ptXD.jpg

This one has 35" of TJ's 1:14.....and it isn't lacking in the UGLY department, lol.

CyOKFyU.jpg

Last edited:
If it can meet and exceed its spec’s it would be a great seller. But with the .457 I’m kinda leary about the specs.
760 fps, 450 fpe?
So a 350gr .457 Bullet going 760 fps is 449 fpe. Does the mag even hold bullets that long? IMHO the only bulldog that doesn’t look like a pile is the one from bthurman over at Veradium.
But if you really wanted one to hunt yotes then that would be at night so it won’t be as ugly.

Crosman/Benjamin has often been late to the party. However that hasn't kept them from being the top-selling American airgun manufacturer of all time (for over a century). I'd be curious how they fare/compare on the World stage. I suspect they've sold more airguns than any other manufacturer.

Crosman/Benjamin has often been late to the party. However that hasn't kept them from being the top-selling American airgun manufacturer of all time (for over a century). I'd be curious how they fare/compare on the World stage. I suspect they've sold more airguns than any other manufacturer.
More than anyone in the Western Hemisphere. I wouldn't be surprised if Snow Peak has already passed them, or the factory making B3s. Lots of places you can get a low powered airgun, but it's difficult to get a firearm.

Perhaps, but much will depend on the longer range accuracy on it. It seems the 257 crowd uses it for that rather than hunting. It seems like the Bulldog platform is more hunting specific and I'm not sure what their stated advantages over 9mm is for this caliber. Either way, it should be a good starting platform for those interested in doing a long range build who have an aversion to the Airforce styles. I've got a couple 257's, both based off Airforce platforms.

The Bulldog ranks right up there with any gun I know for 'Most Ugly' award, but it's hard to deny that it's been a good seller for them. I got one that's been worked over by Veradiumair and it's a stellar little gun, even if it wont win any beauty pageants.
It must just be my personal opinion but I think that my 357 bulldog is awesome looking. I like its futuristic look, every time I shoot it, I feel like I'm on starship troopers or something shooting at some giant bugs 🤣. Out of all of my PCP guns, I think that it's the coolest and best looking of them.

It must just be my personal opinion but I think that my 357 bulldog is awesome looking. I like its futuristic look, every time I shoot it, I feel like I'm on starship troopers or something shooting at some giant bugs 🤣. Out of all of my PCP guns, I think that it's the coolest and best looking of them.
I'll never look at the Bulldog the same again... haha