Is being about to track your shipment keep you sane or insane?

Okay I have decided two things, after this week maybe a quiet night is a good thing, and two I have ordered and awaiting a very expensive gun to arrive, so best not to spend misc cash I need for other things. However, now my mind now is wondering "where is my gun?" and thanks to UPS App I know it is now in Germany awaiting shipment to USA.

Now the question comes: Is knowing where your stuff is at the touch of an app a good thing or bad thing? Because the shipment path can be like watching someone trying to herd cats, works, but how you get there boggles the mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE

UPS I like the tracking......

USPS is useless since I often receive items that tracking says isn't even picked up yet.

FedEx drives me crazy as I watch my package travel all over the place in a zig-zag, circular, make no sense route all around me. Yesterday I was expecting a package and watched three FedEx trucks make three deliveries on my block in a two hour period.

If you are watching your packages in eager aticipation this time of year two weeks before Xmas you are in for a very frustrating experience. Everyone is running those dazzling "free shipping" specials where DHL picks up the package, two days later FedEx has it then two days later USPS gets it. USPS sits on it for three days then starts moving it towards your location at a snails pace. It stalls at the largest city close to you for another two days then gets delivered.... on the worst possible date and time for you....lol

If you try to get the dealer/seller involved all you get it the old "this time of year we always have shipping problems" or the standby "after it leaves our warehouse we have no control" zero accountability answers. 

If those lame answers don't work they quickly go to the old faithful standby COVID did it. I am looking at one now for some rings that will take 10 days to go one state over.

Well it drives me a little insane for sure. 

I feel the need to be here when packages arrive to make sure I gets it before someone else does. This is especially true since they built the 58 plex across the street some twenty plus years back. The delivery personages seldom ring the bell anymore, even though I have a note on the door plainly asking them to do so. Often as not they barely knock, when leaving packages worth hundreds of dollars on my doorstep, before they run off back to their trucks.

Still, as has been mentioned, it gets pretty frustrating watching your package run past your area and then stop a few hundred miles away, for a day or two, before returning. Or watching it just sit somewhere for a week or more not moving at all.

With the tracking I am often very disappointed as I stay home to collect my item and it shows up a day or two later.

With the trend in package thefts of late, I track like a hawk now when stuff is delivered to the house. Thieves here will follow the trucks around and grab within a few min and distegard all cameras. That make me insane more than tracking typically….Had a DHL package from South Africa that went through Jamaica to Ohio, sat for 5 days, went back to Jamaica, sat for a week, was supposedly loaded on a plane back to Ohio, DHL lost it, found again in Jamaica and rerouted through Miami. It ended up clearing US customs twice and found Texas a week later via usps. All i could picture was a Bugs Bunny map with all the turns and stops in Albuquerque. 

i should have saved it, but have security cam footage of a fedex driver throwing my package on my steps. like a shotput. as it seems consistent nationwide from the feedback here, i do wonder if they are under some crazy pressure like the amazon employees are.

and also agree UPS tracking has been most accurate for me. it will update the delivery date occasionally back and forth, but it seems to be accurate, and trying to guess based on where its stopped at.

What’s strange for me that Fed-Ex and DHL have provided some of the best delivery service. Fed-Ex has done well consistently for a few years. Conversely UPS and USPS have been problematic. UPS has delivered to several wrong address, left a package in a drainage ditch, and other issues I won’t mention. At times tracking can be a little buggy with all of the aforementioned services. So trying to watch it may drive you nuts. I’ve gotten anxious waiting on certain items, but not thinking about it helps because it may come early or it may be delayed. What’s crazy is that after some packages are delivered they sit for a while after all of the time worrying about tracking. With the shipping delays, especially around the holidays, it’s good to know where your packages are. Now we have to factor in extreme weather. For example, an Amazon warehouse was significantly damaged by a tornado in Illinois this morning. That could’ve been an Optics Planet warehouse….Imagine trying to track a package after a natural disaster like that? One might drive themself crazy. 

Any carrier which transfers to USPS for final delivery is the pits. That is the absolute worst delivery method. Not one manufacturer or dealer will tell you they use that. They simply say DHL/FEDEX which is who picks it up from them. They are well aware the product gets transferred to USPS adding probably another 3 days to delivery. It is the cheapest method available and tracking disappears once USPS has it. 

I track a lot of stuff,it is a good thing when you can see items moving along,a terrible thing when you see they are stuck and have not moved.

I like it for reason I know when to be home....and it seems when I am waiting it will arrive it late,very late and I am thinking I could have gone fishing or shooting instead of waiting.......

My USPS is great,I have no problems tracking my packages with it.....I know others blast the service,and properly can be bad in other parts of the country,mine is good here and so is FedX,.....DSL are crazy good,from China to my house in 5days,DSL all the way......

Ordered a Black Friday special TV from Walmart online before Black Friday cause I didn't want to mess with the crowd. They shipped it by USPS. It went somewhere and sit for a few days with no tracking updates. Contacted Walmart Help Center and they said since no updates for 48 hours it is lost and they sent me a replacement.

Got a confirming e-mail that included this: 

walmart replacement.1639249686.jpg

Two days later the original order arrived.

Today checked tracking for replacement and it is at the local PO (on time by the way) waiting for pickup. Since it is Sat the local PO is only open from 9-10AM so will have to wait until Mon to see if it is in one piece. The first one was perfect.

Now I got a TV for each eye.

Too bad it wasn't a Delta Wolf!

PS - I must say this is a first for me. I don't expect something for nothing, but since its their policy.

I had a package from Amazon scheduled to be delivered today, two day shipping. It apparently shipped out somewhere in Wisconsin on Thursday night, Yesterday shortly after 5pm USPS showed it in Illinois and the DFW area at exactly the same time, and it was to be delivered today between 1 and 4 pm, it did arrive this morning, shortly after 8am via USPS, apparently they made a special run as our regular Saturday mail has yet to arrive.

austin870 - "Any carrier which transfers to USPS for final delivery is the pits." I think it depends on where the transfer to USPS takes place. Around here FedEx (SmartPost) transfers about 100miles from here and it does add 4-5 days. UPS (SurePost) on the other hand transfers at the local PO.

I completely agree. The trouble is these shipping companies change contracts and logisics with no warning like we change socks.