• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Is barrel cleaning overrated?

Is barrel cleaning overrated? I'd say no! My Notos is tuned to shoot just shy of 22 fpe after a tin and half of pellets my group went south. After a through cleaning accuracy came back.
IMG20240304214440.jpg

The bore looks ok but it does have some rough spots. A lapping and polishing job next?
IPC_2024-03-04.21.26.58.5580.jpg

Not sure I buy that dramatic a result after a tin and a half of pellets. Any chance your focus and confidence improved as a result of doing something you believe would have a positive effect?
Not at all! I practiced 10 meters air pistol for several years, recent days I'll send at least 60 shots downrange every day I know when the barrel is acting up.

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
A tin and a half is not many pellets, but there could be a rough crown, or "chamber", or transfer port edge that might account for the degradation in performance. So, it may not have been caused by what looks like a pretty good barrel in that bore scope view, that caused the trouble.

A bore lap/polish may also improve the crown or TP, but it might be a good idea to take a look at those areas to see if they need specific intervention, first. If the crown is bad, polishing just the bore is not likely to help. Not that I am advocating for "polishing" the crown in any way that would cause it to bell or flare towards the front. But, if there is a burr, that should be removed first. Even with a round headed brass screw in a drill, using and lapping compound.

If the lands are heavily scored from a poor crowning job, lopping of the damaged section at the muzzle and re-crowning might be indicated. See this thread for details:

Reactions: timmah2021
Not sure I buy that dramatic a result after a tin and a half of pellets. Any chance your focus and confidence improved as a result of doing something you believe would have a positive effect?
It is entirely possible that a barrel can lead up that fast. I had a smooth twist liner that would do it sooner than that.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
It is entirely possible that a barrel can lead up that fast. I had a smooth twist liner that would do it sooner than that.
There are a lot of factors involved, as well as a fair amount of folks who would say that leading air rifle barrel will fill imperfections in the bore resulting in better grouping. Not all ag shoot the same which is why we have to go through a variety of pellets and weights to find those which shoot optimally for each. It is possible his rifle shoots best with a clean bore, but unlikely to say this would be universal for all rifles.

without going into minute details of each step
clean barrel
polish barrel
clean barrel squeaky clean, I use a solvent
Trewax the barrel , using bore mop,, go shoot it,,,, , hat tip to Motorhead

and yes problem barrels need need burrs corrected at both ends,, I always push pellets down the barrel when I have it removed for maintenance, to feel the problems and feel where they are

I like to polish my barrels. A couple of hundred passes with JB bore paste on a nylon bristle brush, followed by another hundred or so with simichrome or Flitz polishing compound on patches. I also lube my pellets using a mixture of Finish Line krytech wax and a tiny amount of ballistol. I usually only have to pull three or four patches through my barrels to get them very shiny again. I have read many posts from those who lube pellets saying that it keeps their barrels cleaner longer so this may help you keep your groups tighter for longer. This has been my experience as well but as you have read here, there are plenty of others who think it's totally unnecessary. Try it and see.

Regards,
Feinwerk

I’ve always wondered if it makes sense to polish FX liners like the STX Superior? Those liners don't have traditional rifling since they have faux rifling pressed from the outisde.
FX bores do exhibit some surface roughness like many other makes of barrels. Not surprising...although they aren’t exposed to the process of drawing through a rifling button, it’s still DOM tubing so it can be expected to have some degree of surface fretting from being pulled over the mandrel, and is similarly vulnerable to surface irregularities arising from uneven/inadequate lubrication.