Is baiting really hunting?

austin870

You live in Missouri, don't you? You're fortunate to live in a state that is leading the Nation in rejecting all forms of federal gun control.

OTOH, Missouri has some sucky game laws, yeah? Especially in regard to airguns. You guys aren't even allowed in your state to bait for game on private property.

Missouri Airgun Laws and Hunting Regulations ... https://airgunlaws.com/missouri-airgun-laws/

Here's an example of the oppressive, subjugating laws the citizens of MO have to put up w/. You guys have my abject sympathy.

Quote:

What Can You Hunt With An Airgun In Missouri?
Missouri allows you to hunt several species with an airgun within their defined hunting season. The following animals can be hunted with an airgun in Missouri:

• Bobcat

• Crow

• Gray Fox

• Red Fox

• Squirrel

• Whitetail Deer (.40 Caliber) 

-------------
And, why in the world does each county in Missouri apparently have its own airgun laws?

I also agree with fuznut. If you think hunting over bait is guaranteed success try it. You will be surprised.

When I lived in PA the general feel about baiting is about like some of you feel here. I did not hunt over bait there. It was neither legal nor necessary. I had at least half a dozen deer cross my yard every night. I was in a town where hunting them wasn't legal so I did not. But deer are abundant in PA. Woods are open so you can walk them. Both the local population and the game commission agree that baiting is inappropriate.

I think obeying the law is a minimum requirement. If that is what some of you are saying we agree. But I also think the local game commission has a much better idea of what is appropriate than somebody in PA has of deciding it for somebody in SC or Texas. In SC running deer with dogs is legal in part of the state and illegal in other parts. Some of that is probably tradition but I think some has to do with what works to get a useful harvest.

The purpose of the game commission is to get enough animals harvested that they do not starve. But not so many that they are rare. So they set rules to fit these criteria. I'd much rather see a deer harvested over bait than see it's starved carcase. I think that is entirely ethical.

Spot and stalk just does not work when you cannot walk in the woods.

When I lived in PA the general feel about baiting is about like some of you feel here. I did not hunt over bait there. It was neither legal nor necessary. I had at least half a dozen deer cross my yard every night. I was in a town where hunting them wasn't legal so I did not. But deer are abundant in PA. Woods are open so you can walk them. Both the local population and the game commission agree that baiting is inappropriate.

Ever hear of a town called Nacogdoches? Oldest little town in Texas?

It's literally a town carved out of a thick forest. Two major creeks flow north to south. One on the west side of town. The other on the east side.

Deer are teeming there. Everywhere you look. All over town. All points of the compass. Bow season is a blast there. Technically: one is not supposed to engage in archery inside the city limits; (unless one in in ones backyard practicing ... or at the range)...but, all the archers there do it anyway.

I do my hunting at the lake. Not w/ a bow. Ordinarily while I'm at the lake fishing; I use a belly boat/tube float, chest waders, scuba fins, a U.S. Army surplus poncho and a baseball cap ... but, during deer season, I keep a .44 magnum revolver under my left arm. I take the deer after they have come out of a particular watershed at the shore to drink before sunset.

Technically, it could be considered 'baiting', I suppose. The water is the bait, The shore of the lake at the edge of the watershed is the bait station .Our game warden says its cool for me to do that, just don't shoot a minute after sun set.

Longfellow, the shore of a lake is not baiting. You setting a bucket of water in the middle of the woods might be considered baiting. Sheeesh.

Excuse me? It's difficult to understand what you are ... um, ... (ahem) ... eluding to. That is not what I said.

Repost: "Technically, it could be considered 'baiting', I suppose. The water is the bait, The shore of the lake at the edge of the watershed is the bait station".

You should try hunting deer like I do. It's very effective. Ooops, I forgot. PA doesn't allow baiting. Even technically. Such a pity.

Ok, I’ll play along. Even technically the shore of a lake cannot be considered baiting. It wasn’t put there with the INTENT to lure animals for you to kill. To help you along, baiting when it comes to harvesting animals is used as a verb. It’s something you do personally to achieve a goal. I hunt two other states that allow baiting. I let a guy bait on my lease because it keeps he and his kids in one area. They have fun and kick some money my way. I’m not thrilled with his two feeders and the quad trails that lead to them but seeing how happy they are when they kill a deer is worth it. He’s doing the best he can with what he has to work with.

With critters like rabbits and squirrels and deer that do serious damage the objective is to reduce their population as much as possible and to do so as fast as possible before they can become sexually mature and reproduce. I want a clean kill with one shot to the head and a bait station helps greatly to do this with small animals where the kill zone is the size of a golf ball. 

I also do not consider those who shoot deer as hunters but rather people culling or "harvesting" as the F&G personnel refer to the killing. It is mostly about selling hunting gear and clothing and vehicles and licenses for profit by the states. Moose are introduced into Colorado and then put on the kill list. Wild turkeys were introduced by the thousands into California and now there are more than a million that do a good deal of property damage in neighborhoods but are protected as "game" by the F&G people. With so many predators killed over the years there is little other than auto collisions to keep populations in check and this is not effective in the slightest.

Ok, I’ll play along. Even technically the shore of a lake cannot be considered baiting. It wasn’t put there with the INTENT to lure animals for you to kill. To help you along, baiting when it comes to harvesting animals is used as a verb.

You're still not getting it. One last repost: "Technically, it could be considered 'baiting', I suppose. The water is the bait, The shore of the lake at the edge of the watershed is the bait station".

What is a watershed?
It’s a land area that channels rainfall and snowmelt to creeks, streams, and rivers, and eventually to outflow points such as reservoirs, bays, and the ocean.
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/watershed.html

Surely watersheds exist in PA? Surely, you have seen a watershed at least once in your lifetime? Deer use watersheds as highways because they can move around without being seen.

Well anyway, if and or when the subjective, 'think w/ their feelings', sanctimonious, nitpickers ever try to criticize me for baiting, then I can just point to you and tell them Vetmx has unequivocally declared that I am not baiting. Thanks, Bro.

Yes watersheds do exist in Pa. But technically they have nothing to do with baiting bro.

Watersheds and Drainage Basins.

A watershed is an area of land that drains all the streams and rainfall to a common outlet such as the outflow of a reservoir, mouth of a bay, or any point along a stream channel.

https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/watersheds-and-drainage-basins?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

It would be a real shame if PA doesn't allow its hunters to use watersheds for ambush points. Because, here in East Texas, using watersheds can be a very effective method to harvest deer.

Same goes for fishing. Fish use the creek channels in the lake as a highway. 

https://www.bassmaster.com/fish-structure-correctly

austin870

You live in Missouri, don't you? You're fortunate to live in a state that is leading the Nation in rejecting all forms of federal gun control.

OTOH, Missouri has some sucky game laws, yeah? Especially in regard to airguns. You guys aren't even allowed in your state to bait for game on private property.

Missouri Airgun Laws and Hunting Regulations ... https://airgunlaws.com/missouri-airgun-laws/

Here's an example of the oppressive, subjugating laws the citizens of MO have to put up w/. You guys have my abject sympathy.

Quote:

What Can You Hunt With An Airgun In Missouri?
Missouri allows you to hunt several species with an airgun within their defined hunting season. The following animals can be hunted with an airgun in Missouri:

• Bobcat

• Crow

• Gray Fox

• Red Fox

• Squirrel

• Whitetail Deer (.40 Caliber) 

-------------
And, why in the world does each county in Missouri apparently have its own airgun laws?

Laws only show what the "mob/majority" want which I am typically not a part of. It is either that or politicians appeasing their party moral agenda for vote attracting or lobby money. As far as having the laws made on a county level that allows for diversity letting "the local mob/majority" make such decisions instead of people hundreds of miles away we don't know. I don't want someone in a big city like St Louis making laws to govern me in a rural area simply because there are more people up there. It disallows the always-doomed one-size fits all law making generally controlled by urban areas. I didn't set it up but it does keep the big city majorities which are anti gun from making laws to restrict the rest of us. It is far from perfect but better than most.

The real lucky break we got as a country was the politicians did not think to add airguns to the control of the Alphabet org. Europe did thus they get national 12ftlb restrictions. 

The real lucky break we got as a country was the politicians did not think to add airguns to the control of the Alphabet org.

Yes, one more reason why the USA is such a great country. 👍🏼

Europe did [add airguns to the control] — thus they get national 12ftlb restrictions. 

Yeah, well, it's actually much worse in some other European countries — take my home counry of Germany — airgunners suffer under a 6 (SIX!) foot-pound restriction! 

If you want 7FPE or more, well, you need to get a gun license. — And, heaven forbid, if you want to get "such a violent, unethical, immoral, criminal thing like a gun" requiring a gun license.... — well, that's going to cost you a four-digit amount in dollars, and time counted in months, not to speak of a written exam that makes final exam week in college look like child's play.

Well, I live and shoot now in South America (Peru), where the gvmnt has left airgunning alone so far. I'm very very thankful for that!! 😊 

Matthias

Wow Jungleshooter.... I never knew a country had it lower than 12ftlbs. I think 6ftlbs would be like a Daisy BB gun. I am pretty sure that is about the speed of a good slingshot. Are those illegal? We won't say who is running the government there with the "you'll shoot your eye out" lawmaking.

Canada also uses the 6 fpe limit. By law their airguns are limited to 500 fps, max. Only way around that is to get a PAL, ( Possession & Acquisition License). A PAL is actually a firearms license. 

https://firearmscanada.com/resources/obtain-firearms-license-canada/

And, of course ... Canadian airgun forums abound. Here's an example from one of them.

What is the 500 FPS rule exactly. | Canadian Airgun Forum

www.airgunforum.ca › forums › topic36562-30

Apr 15, 2021 · The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. ... 4.6 FPE @ 499 fps ... with an air gun ...

Longfellow, That is facinating. I never dreamed Canada was like that what with all that moose, elk, bear, goose etc hunting and desolate land everywhere. Land of the sportsmen. I looked around and there are a lot of 500fps guns made for the Canadian market. Air arms, Crossman, Benjamin, Gamo, Nitro, Beeman etc.

It appears you pay a one time fee of $80 then take an eight hour safety course similar to our concealed carry courses for $170 and you can own pretty much whatever. I thought it was going to be more like Great Britain were everything is massively restricted and very dificult to get licensed for anything. Heck if you place a stamp on a letter with the queen's head upside down it is Treason.

Every country that nationalized airguns got laws made by the most hyper sensitive anti gun people in the country. Not one country wound up with pro gun people controlling the restrictions. That is a good reason to have decentralized gun control and hunting laws. 

austin870

Here in America one of the more popular airguns is a basic Crosman .22 Backpacker.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/crosman-doomsday-bug-out-air-rifle-kit?m=2913

It has a velocity of approximately 500 fps using 14.3 gr pellets w/ 10 pumps. There's a thread here at AGN: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/crosman-1322-performace/#post-1033308 ...

That shows how the new Crosman 1322's have a stiffer piston than do older 1322's. Which gives them a slightly higher velocity.

Great airgun for 20 yard shooting. 

For non PAL shooters in Canada, that's about as good as it gets.