Is anyone else burned out on people passing judgment on killing varmints?

20210326_17500101.1626542515.jpg
You can see the damage done to vehicles on this dairy. The owner wants every bird dead or gone. I don't shoot morning or white wing doves but everything else is fair game. I do eat some of what I shoot and give a lot to the workers. The rest are for the cats, hawks, and coyotes.

What exactly does a "morning" dove look like?

thank you for agreeing with my vegtables i make some of the best salsa in upstate ny and refuse to let a ground hog eat all my tomatoes i have found the best way to get them is to remove screen on window facing garden you all know how hard g hogs are to sneak up on harder then ducks

You too, eh? I also grow tomatoes and peppers. I don't bother growing onions. They're cheap enough at the local grocery. In addition to salsa, I also like to make sausage & peppers w/ them. I also grow stringbeans and snow peas. 

The way I do it is to barely open my back door as the back door faces the garden and my backyard bird feeder. Then I aim through the crack in the door. Sometimes I line my table and a shooting rest on it w/ where the crack will be for longer shots, when I need a steadier aim than offhand.

lol hell, if you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen ... i will pass judgement when i feel its called for, nothing burns me more than some idiot maring the image of airgunning by just wasting sht indiscriminately and actually 100% believes in his heart that killing wildlife is helping something lol .. yeah, nobody buys your saving the world by shooting songbirds on the countryside lol .. rats on a dairy farm ok .. real pests destroying your property ok .. or if your hunting to eat ok .. 'making up' a bullsht reason to kill things not ok

Typical hypocrite!

Indeed. Sanctimonious, isn't he?

Sanctimony: Righteousness accompanied by an unwarranted attitude of moral or social superiority; 

smug or hypocritical righteousness... - derogatory - Example: "they have no shame and turn on the phony sanctimony"

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sanctimony

We are digressing, 

Protecting your Veg patch √

Hunting for food√

Getting rid of varmints ( Pests) humanly as possible √

Videoing your attempt at a head shot on a "varmint" at 200y and brushing of the sight of said "varmint" crawling of to die with a titter and a comment about the " popping sound" the hit made AND as a consequence of putting, said video into the pubic domain giving sucker to the anti hunt/gun brigade,

That is not cool and anyone doing so should be reminded of the harm they are doing to our hobby/sport/living ect.

Saying that, the reminding should be done in a discrete non pubic fashion, otherwise the "anti" brigade will make hay at our in fighting.

I shall continue to do the first three and hope never to do the forth.

Good luck.

We are digressing, 

Protecting your Veg patch √

Hunting for food√

Getting rid of varmints ( Pests) humanly as possible √

Videoing your attempt at a head shot on a "varmint" at 200y and brushing of the sight of said "varmint" crawling of to die with a titter and a comment about the " popping sound" the hit made AND as a consequence of putting, said video into the pubic domain giving sucker to the anti hunt/gun brigade,

That is not cool and anyone doing so should be reminded of the harm they are doing to our hobby/sport/living ect.

Saying that, the reminding should be done in a discrete non pubic fashion, otherwise the "anti" brigade will make hay at our in fighting.

I shall continue to do the first three and hope never to do the forth.

Good luck.

It doesn't matter if you shoot the critter at 10 yards or 1000 yards, the anti crowd will always whine and complain.

Again you don't like it then stay quiet. If no laws are being broken then there is nothing wrong. As a hunter you have to personally set the limit and conditions. I can bet my limits vs yours vs others here will all be different. It doesn't give me the right to insult and badh you because I don't feel you did xxxxxx correct. The same as it doesn't mean you can say I didn't do xxxxxx correct.

People need to stop believing that there is only their view, and that their view is the only correct one.

Unfortunately, the Art of Disagreement is dying, hastened in its demise by the internet wherein the anominity provided often leads to name-calling, self-righteousness, and false bravado.

I've always thought a good rule of thumb for rendering an opinion or taking somebody to task via the internet is "Would you say it that way if the person it was directed at was standing right in front of you"? My gut tells me that disagreements would take on a decidedly nicer tone if that rule of thumb was more widely subscribed to, and some probably wouldn't occur at all.

Personally, in the forum environment, I think unless it is specifically asked for (absent safety concerns), keep your opinions to yourself. And if you can't help yourself and must opine, be polite, be respectful, and adhere to the above rule of thumb.

Justin

lol hell, if you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen ... i will pass judgement when i feel its called for, nothing burns me more than some idiot maring the image of airgunning by just wasting sht indiscriminately and actually 100% believes in his heart that killing wildlife is helping something lol .. yeah, nobody buys your saving the world by shooting songbirds on the countryside lol .. rats on a dairy farm ok .. real pests destroying your property ok .. or if your hunting to eat ok .. 'making up' a bullsht reason to kill things not ok

You recently commented on my pesting video saying I was just killn sht for no reason without knowing the situation. Then you made a sarcastic comment about what I spent on my rifle. You passed judgement before even asking about the situation which is irresponsible on your part. It seems you are an knee jerk emotional snowflake and can't help but lash out at people. I have great respect for the farmers where I do pesting because they work hard long hours and are fighting to make a living. The farmers stress about the pests and their damage and the fact that I can use air rifles around buildings people and farm animals is much appreciated. The pest birds, groundhogs and rats that steal food, do building and equipment damage cost them plenty of money and is unhealthy not only they farm animals but the farmers themselves. The starlings I shoot particularly by the hundreds at night cause disease and stench in the cow barns and much stress on the milking herd. After two sessions of shooting starlings at night they never returned for the rest of the winter. When I first came to my main permission there was a flock of over 300 pigeons stealing cow feed and making a mess. Now I rarely see more that a couple dozens pigeons at the most. The farmers pole building/work shop had pigeons and starlings flying in and out all the time crapping on everything including the farmer while doing equipment repair. I get great satisfaction from knowing my equipment and using the right rifle to get the job done. The more pests I kill the better for farmer and the health of his animals.

Reactions: JimNM
For me it is when shooters fail to make a distinction between rabbits and squirrels and wild turkeys that can be very destructive and harmless skunks or beneficial coyotes. In my state where F&G introduced wild turkeys in the thousands over a 40 year period the are considered game animals and so protected. Not even feral pigs can compete with the damage done by a flock of wild turkeys.

Carlson,
Just to be clear, you like coyotes and skunks.

And you would prefer to have feral hogs, to wild turkeys as your local invasive species.

Do you like rabbits and squirrels? Do you eat them?

You definitely don’t like turkeys. Do you eat them?

lol. I’m so confused. 
mike

I don’t like coyotes and skunks and would shoot them on site, where legal.

I would think feral hogs would be absolutely horrible. Especially competing with deer 🦌 

For me it is when shooters fail to make a distinction between rabbits and squirrels and wild turkeys that can be very destructive and harmless skunks or beneficial coyotes. In my state where F&G introduced wild turkeys in the thousands over a 40 year period the are considered game animals and so protected. Not even feral pigs can compete with the damage done by a flock of wild turkeys.

OH! FFS Wild Turkeys are native to every state in the US. They scratch the ground and dig up poop to eat. What damage? No really what damage? Have you ever actually SEEN what feral pigs do to an area?

Rabbits are native in the the whole country. Some species of rabbits don't range over the entire country but they are everywhere. Squirrels in their various forms are native to the entire country. All of these animals CAN cause damage and be pests.

Skunks are a rabbies sink. Otherwise they are generally no problem unless you surprise one and get too close. I shoot them in my yard because I like to let my dogs come into the house ... You get the idea.

Coyotes are beneficial where they are a native species. They are NOT native to the entire country but having removed species which competed with Coyotes and limited their range (wolves in particular) coyotes have flourished in places like Virginia and not always been "beneficial".

Any hunter with a few years experience knows these things.

Flintsack

We call them redneck kitties.....
skunks.1627172056.jpg

Redneck kitties, LMAO! That is really funny! 

they are really mild mannered and won’t do much until threatened. Problem for some people is having dogs in the yard that chase after them which makes a massive mess! Fortunately I don’t have a dog right now so they get a pass from me, I enjoy seeing them on my security Cameras rummaging through my yard which keeps the rats out. They also love the squirrels I leave out for them. Wife was complaining that the skunk is in the yard again and dig holes under the fence but I don’t have the heart to shoot ithem. But if 2 adult males starts to have squirt gun fights then that will be a different story. Coons will not get a pass nor any cute roof eaters. 

I had an aunt Karen, rip. 

She had what she called D frocked skunks as pets. She had two, the female was huge. She fed them rabbits, and squirrels, and chipmunks, harvested with her 22 caliber Benji pumper…

Or maybe aunt Karen had cats. But she liked skunks. Hmm.. Karen was a bit strange.

Have you ever met a dog, who’s been recently sprayed by a skunk? Have you ever seen a skunk spray - up close and personal? Have you ever seen one growl and bare it’s teeth, up close and personal? Ever run into one camping with your kids on the way back from the shower? Pitch black. Raccoons 🦝 are fun also.

dogs + 🦨 = rabies shots, vet bills, tomato 🍅 juice

have you ever seen a dog running towards a 🦨 excited, ready to engage with it? Have you ever seen the aftermath? Dogs sometimes die they get sprayed so bad if it’s up close and personal. It’s rare, so is running into a skunk 🦨

Skunks are not very bright. They are also not very afraid. What should they be afraid of? Nothing ever tries to eat them, At least not twice.

When one needs dispatching, I use a 12 gauge shotgun. A pump.

mike

I had an aunt Karen, rip. 

She had what she called D frocked skunks as pets. She had two, the female was huge. She fed them rabbits, and squirrels, and chipmunks, harvested with her 22 caliber Benji pumper…

Or maybe aunt Karen had cats. But she liked skunks. Hmm.. Karen was a bit strange.

Have you ever met a dog, who’s been recently sprayed by a skunk? Have you ever seen a skunk spray - up close and personal? Have you ever seen one growl and bare it’s teeth, up close and personal? Ever run into one camping with your kids on the way back from the shower? Pitch black. Raccoons 🦝 are fun also.

dogs + 🦨 = rabies shots, vet bills, tomato 🍅 juice

have you ever seen a dog running towards a 🦨 excited, ready to engage with it? Have you ever seen the aftermath? Dogs sometimes die they get sprayed so bad if it’s up close and personal. It’s rare, so is running into a skunk 🦨

Skunks are not very bright. They are also not very afraid. What should they be afraid of? Nothing ever tries to eat them.

mike

Been sprayed by a whole family in one go...

Worked at a Camp on a local river when I was about 14. Bait boy. Owner comes up says, "Go into that closet there is a shotgun. You see that metal shed over there? There is a family of skunks living under it, go clean them out."

I walk over to the shed and look around back. There's momma and a passel of babies. They all duck and run under the shed. So I walk around front of the shed. Now this day is one of those middle of August so humid you can't even sweat but you can't get dried either days that come in the south. I open the door on the shed. This shed is about 6 by 8. The only thing in there is a push mower. So I pull the mower out and look back inside the shed. The floor is really only cardboard. 

I think to myself. I got this. Those skunks are all right there under this cardboard. I step back into the shed and the door closes behind me. Chick... chick goes the shotgun and I pointed that thing at the floor and pulled the trigger.

Heh... I never even noticed they sprayed. No really. The air turned an odd shade of puke green and I thought "I got them" and pumped another couple into the ball of skunks.

Then I walked back up to the RESTAURANT to report to the boss. "I think they might have sprayed me." :) Bossman says, "They might have. Why don't you go take a swim and then go to the house and clean up."

Always liked the smell of skunk scent since that time...