Is anyone else burned out on people passing judgment on killing varmints?

If anyone disagree with how things are done and want to influence someone to be better then I hate to break this to you but criticizing on the internet doesn’t usually work……make that never works. Constructive criticism or suggestion on how you were able to achieve better results has much higher likelyhood of having any positive effect. 

As far as God given rights goes I’m fairly certain passing judgement isn’t one of them, last time I checked it’s his job still. 

There is one thing that I really, really like on Facebook that I wish this forum had too:

The ability to block members.

I don't want them kicked off of forums, I don't want the mods to give them a talking to. I just want them not to see my post and comments. I just want some users to be invisible to me, and I to them. 

That way, if someone gets under my skin because they feel they need to tell me how to shoot, I'd just make them disappear. Well, disappear virtually on this forum.

There is one thing that I really, really like on Facebook that I wish this forum had too:

The ability to block members.

I don't want them kicked off of forums, I don't want the mods to give them a talking to. I just want them not to see my post and comments. I just want some users to be invisible to me, and I to them. 

That way, if someone gets under my skin because they feel they need to tell me how to shoot, I'd just make them disappear. Well, disappear virtually on this forum.

+1 on this forum needing a block feature. I too use another social media forum that has a block feature. We can even delete the offenders post from sight. It's very useful. 

I do my fair share of thief pesting based on what I see the need to be. I am not a Kill Bill by any stretch. I typically don't say much about them on-line, but have mentioned a few including some long-range shots on occasion that I am very proud of because I planned ahead and practiced and learned my guns to the point that I now can make those longer shots with ease with the proper power for the pest I am dealing with. I could care less what some tree hugger type snowflakes thinks about it. It is my business and not theirs.

Some one mentioned God who is the ultimately judge and was the one who gave us dominion over the animals. He judges your heart. So, if one is pesting for fun and not for a good reason in their heart, they may want to check themselves and regroup and come again with a different approach.

I agree too that there is no getting rid of countless opinions on forums designed for such. So, if you post you can expect some opinions you may not agree with along with some that you do, and all in-between. Commenting against pesting in the hunting gate is absurd, especially if your head is not on the same wavelength with pesting of critters that need pesting.

I've been hunting with air rifles for 40 years since I was 14 (up until just this year all with spring rifles) in CA mostly ground squirrels of which there are probably millions in this state along with my fair share of birds and few other species along the way. I love hunting with air rifles and I do it quite often. That being said I almost never post it about or when I don't post pictures of the results. I don't feel the need to post pictures of dead animals or really advertise much at all how much I hunt with air rifles outside of close friends and family.

I don't want other peoples judgements of me based on my hunting activities so I tend to keep things low key. If appreciate that this forum is "segmented" into different areas hunting being one so those that disagree with this activity can avoid the topic if they wish which is what they should do. I don't see the point in criticizing people for their hunting activities. Those that enjoy this sort of thing should be able to share and discuss the topic with like minded people without getting grief about it.

That being said we all know there is a right and wrong way to hunt and if a post seems to indicate the wrong way to go about then I think it's fair to point that out. I also think some images are too graphic even for a hunting forum so people should exercise care with choosing what pictures they choose to share online.

I respect and understand people's dislike of killing animals you are not going in eat in most cases (or just killing in general) if they choose not to engage in that activity that's fine with me just don't criticize those that do enjoy hunting in a location that is supposed to be a "safe" place to discuss the subject is all I would ask. 

Spray mark 

You just gave up all your respect in that one sentance! you have gratified the killing of a living thing, of which you have no god given right to kill just because you don't like it or the so called threat it poses to your property!

my response:

I did not understand your first sentence. And it’s probably better that I don’t.

that said, there are a lot of people on this forum that enjoy shooting Varmints. I’m going to lump all of the pest animals under that one category. Varmint. I used to go out prairie dog shooting when I was a younger man. I had spent years reading about it as a kid, and it was something I definitely wanted to do as an adult. It was and is an incredible experience. The farmers absolutely welcomed us with open arms. They did not want to have to use poison.

I was all about long range accuracy. How far can I hit a prairie dog at? Being out there on the Prairie in the wind and sun all day, was something I’ll never forget. It was very cool when we made a hit at 400+ yards, holding 3 feet to the right because of wind and 2 feet over the top because of drop. It was very cool.

It’s a hunting forum. Why can’t we pop varmint? A pest? Why can’t we say wow look at this cool shot I just made? Without someone having to be offended.

And help me understand why you would want to read them? And then feel the need to comment? What is your hope? What is your goal?

I just don’t understand.

I also think, if something takes your valuables, that makes them a thief to be eliminated. Yet, that does not give them human attributes. Its just putting a label on them. Sort of like saying that fox is stealing my chickens. It doesn’t make him a bad fox. He’s actually just doing his job.

mike

I read your long range target threads with .177 and enjoy them Mike, I was also an avid hunter and probably shot more than most on here put together at one time, I was also a member of the VHA USA (Varmint Hunters Association) and joined the 500 & 1000 yard clubs nearly 20 years ago.

But I made the decision that killing for fun was wrong, most here do that, some admit it some dont, you are also entitled to post whatever you want on here, but so are those who dont agree with it.

But to post on a public forum and expect people not to give their opinion whether right or wrong is silly, as I said if you dont want people to stick their nose in and it winds you up that much simply dont invite the criticism, dont post it! that is all I am saying.

Alternatively ask the site owner to make it a join only forum, hence anyone who comments has only themselves to blame!

FYI, I have also been with the NRA USA in the UK on TV debating for hunting against PETA.

Yeah, I got a reply to my post last week about why I'm not shooting paper instead of ground squirrels. Here's the answer: Vermin makes a better POP sound than paper when hit! (Joke!) My first thought was WTF are you looking under HUNTING if you don't want to see it? I try to be ETHICAL when it comes to pesting. It truly bothers me when shot placement is not the best & that animal suffered but making them suffer IS NOT MY GOAL. Clean & humane kill shots are what I strive for but s--t happens. I don't need a MORAL lecture on what I'm doing. I get that the taking of life is a serious thing & I act accordingly. I don't like that people who don't know me are passing judgment on who they ASSUME me to be. We all have to decide for ourselves about the ethics involved. I don't need anyone else's help! The ONLY time I've passed judgment on this forum about hunting was when someone posted a video of a nighttime kill & then asked "what animal is this?" I couldn't help myself. It could've even been a neighbor's kid for all he knew. I just felt that ETHICS never even entered his mind (killing without even knowing WHATyou're killing ) & it pissed me off. (All that showed in the video were two eyes shining at the camera)

^ This should be the goal in ALL hunting including pesting. Very well said.

My first thought was WTF are you looking under HUNTING if you don't want to see It?

The quote above is a bull’s-eye. Why in the world would you go and look under hunting, if you don’t like the fact that people kill stuff?

Why do you have to bust into one of our threads and make it known that you think that killing things is wrong?

it’s a freaking hunting channel. People show things that were killed. Involves blood and guts and gore. It involves killing things that you may not agree with.

The only possible reason I can think of, is that you want to mess up our posts. How about just keeping out of our posts? How about not going where you don’t like to go?

If there is a bad neighborhood on your way to work, and another route helps you avoid it…Do you take the bad route every day, and complain about it?

mike

My first thought was WTF are you looking under HUNTING if you don't want to see It?

The quote above is a bull’s-eye. Why in the world would you go and look under hunting, if you don’t like the fact that people kill stuff?

Why do you have to bust into one of our threads and make it known that you think that killing things is wrong?

it’s a freaking hunting channel. People show things that were killed. Involves blood and guts and gore. It involves killing things that you may not agree with.

The only possible reason I can think of, is that you want to mess up our posts. How about just keeping out of our posts? How about not going where you don’t like to go?

If there is a bad neighborhood on your way to work, and another route helps you avoid it…Do you take the bad route every day, and complain about it?

mike

Flintsack, you got my vote. When some of my holy then thou friends as me why i pest and i show them a photo like this and ask what happen here. With a stupid look on their face they say thats food. All that nice meat you eat was a live animal at one time. Killing is killing. Gone pesting!!!!!!
Screenshot_20210715-123909.1626367990.png

There is validity in pointing out how someone actions may harm something you hold dear, however better on this forum that one should do so diplomaticly via a PM

I myself have stopped watching a number of YouTube hunting channel's due to the laughing that would accompany very kill,

I feel this disrespectful, and worse still, it gives the PETA nutter manna ( nutters who believes with good reason that he/she holds the whip hand) 

We really ought not to help these nutters, either by giving them ammo ( no pun ) by posting online actions that the average Joe would see as unethical, OR by highlighting other shooting fans perceived misdemeanors in a public verbal slug* fest.

* Again, no pun.

Good luck,

Looks like the truck just drove through downtown Chicago!!

Back to the topic...again if you don't like it or agree....its simple. Either don't watch or don't comment. Nobody really cares about your scruples about killing pests, laughing, or whatever. Get off your high horse and go else where. It really simple to just change the channel if you want, but to many people seem to think that their opinion is always needed and is the "end all, be all" typr comment.

As long as nothing illegal is going on, then leave it alone. Much like the movie Bambi taught us, " if you can't say something nice, then don't sat nothing at all". More people should start learning that lesson

Growing up on a farm, I've eliminated more than my share of pests with air guns and powder burners. Being older and no longer farming I no longer kill things unless they are being destructive or pose a threat of some kind. This forum is very clear that there could be some graphic images. So I really don't understand why someone would read that and then complain about what they see. As far as bringing God into the discussion, I would refer to Genesis 1:26 "Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."