Is anyone else burned out on people passing judgment on killing varmints?

I've always loved to hunt and shoot pests. But I've concocted certain rules of engagement where eliminating pests is concerned. Certain things I will do, others I won't. I accept others may do things differently. Short of blatant bad form and/or disregard for safety, I see no reason to call someone out just because they don't do things the way I do. I have occasionally learned something new by being quiet and observing.

rcarlisle

United States

Accuracy: +1

I've always loved to hunt and shoot pests. But I've concocted certain rules of engagement where eliminating pests is concerned. Certain things I will do, others I won't. I accept others may do things differently. Short of blatant bad form and/or disregard for safety, I see no reason to call someone out just because they don't do things the way I do. I have occasionally learned something new by being quiet and observing.

WELL SAID!!!

THANK YOU 

mike

Hound:

“Well if someone is being intentionally cruel or reckless with shot placement and just wounding animals left and right and then bragging about it,”

Wow. That is really something, what you said up there. I have never personally known anyone who would do what you described above, although I’m sure they exist in very small numbers. If they were dumb enough to do such a thing, would they publish pictures of it and brag about it online? They would be crucified.

mike

Not intentionally. But I’ve seen folks who’ve downed an animal with like 6-7 shots and post their “trophy” online where you can see gut shots and a missing jaw etc. They basically don’t realize they made the animal suffer and think down is just down regardless of how.

Or some like to brag about catching critters in “hav-a-hart” traps before drowning them in the cage. They’re out there and I say judge them to kingdom come. But the average guy pesting humanely? Folks shouldn’t be frowning upon that.

My neighbor caught some groundhogs in a trap, and she poured boiling water on them since she didn't have a gun. I damn near lost my mind when she told me that! She also considered drowning them, but she said her garbage can wasn't big enough to cover all of the trap (something told be she tried this and found out first hand). I told her to call me anytime, and I'd be there the same day to put one in the dome for a forever nap.