• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA Is AEA challenger pro suitable for playing in the backyard ?

Well I have one in 30 and the power cranked up with a Donny Ronin on it and I shoot in the back yard.

Granted I'm in a pretty rural setting and hear gunfire frequently from other people shooting real guns in their yards.

But anyway, yeah a moderator will quiet it down especially if you turn down the power. That said then you might as well buy a lower powered 22 air rifle in the first place, probably save some money too. There's a lot of nice lower priced air rifles with regulators available in 22 especially if you aren't even planning on using the Challenger Pro's full power.

Yes without a moderator and at full power it's going to sound like a 22 rimfire or louder.

Well I have one in 30 and the power cranked up with a Donny Ronin on it and I shoot in the back yard.

Granted I'm in a pretty rural setting and hear gunfire frequently from other people shooting real guns in their yards.

But anyway, yeah a moderator will quiet it down especially if you turn down the power. That said then you might as well buy a lower powered 22 air rifle in the first place, probably save some money too. There's a lot of nice lower priced air rifles with regulators available in 22 especially if you aren't even planning on using the Challenger Pro's full power.

Yes without a moderator and at full power it's going to sound like a 22 rimfire or louder.
I have a gamo break barrel air rifle .and while it's very accurate for squirrel hunting at 30 yards.I'm eager to try a higher preision ,more powerful air rifle .I wouldn't want to carry this Gamo rifle when hunting because its accuracy and power at longer distances aren't satisfactory . At 25yards .I measured a 1-inch accuracy with an energy of over 15 FPE

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
The Challenger Pro is a very heavy gun my friend. You won't be carrying that either, believe me.

Maybe you should consider an Air Venturi Avenger or Avenge-X and get a moderator for it? Unless you are going to be shooting heavier .22 slugs, the Challenger Pro is overkill. And it's not the most ergonomic gun either. As I said I have one in .30 caliber.... and it's a powerhouse. But I end up shooting my Guantlet .30 more often because it's more comfortable for me, and it's also a powerhouse.

If you can afford a Challenger Pro you can also afford the new Air Venturi Avenge-X .... without ever having tried one myself I can assure you this is going to be a better (and cheaper) rifle in either .22 or .25 ... might as well do .25 and get some nice power on tap. You can adjust it externally down to quiet it and use lighter ammo and get more shots.

Adjusting the power on the Challenger Pro is very imprecise. It has that "power wheel". But it's extremely touchy. The slightest 1mm adjustment can make a huge difference. So I don't even use it, I just adjust the regulator where I want it (which you have to degass the gun and remove the air tank to do, and then you can only guess based on how much you turn the nut), and then use ammo that it likes. So in practice it hasn't been as versatile for me as you may think.

我的朋友,挑战者 Pro 是一把非常重的枪。你也不会携带它,相信我。

也许您应该考虑使用 Air Venturi Avenger 或 Avenge-X 并为其找一个主持人?除非您要射击更重的 0.22 子弹,否则挑战者 Pro 就显得有些过分了。而且它也不是最符合人体工程学的枪。正如我所说,我有一枚 0.30 口径......而且它是一个威力强大的手枪。但我最终更频繁地使用 Guantlet .30 进行拍摄,因为它对我来说更舒适,而且功能强大。

如果你能买得起 Challenger Pro,你也能买得起新的 Air Venturi Avenge-X .... 我自己没有尝试过,我可以向你保证,这将是一把更好(而且更便宜)的 0.22 或 .22 步枪。 25 ...不妨做 0.25 并获得一些不错的可用功率。您可以从外部调整它以使其安静,并使用更轻的弹药并获得更多射击。

Challenger Pro 上的功率调整非常不精确。它有那个“动力轮”。但它非常敏感。最轻微的 1 毫米调整就会产生巨大的差异。所以我什至不使用它,我只是将调节器调整到我想要的位置(你必须对枪进行脱气并拆下储气罐才能做到这一点,然后你只能根据你转动螺母的程度来猜测),然后使用它喜欢的弹药。所以在实践中,它对我来说并不像你想象的那样多才多艺。
thankyou for your response . I think I may need to reconsider purchasing the AEA

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Leo, The AEA Challenger Pro 22 Cal was my first PCP air rifle that I bought and remains one of my favorite PCP rifles I use it in my backyard without any issues. I run a DonnyFL Ronin on it and I have it tuned to full power. I had a problem with possums coming out at night and eating my dog's dogfood. My AEA Challenger PRO 22 cal stays configured to dispatch possums . It is a one-shot head shot that only takes one shot. With that said, I will warn you that the AEA Challenger PRO turned up shoots at about 80 fpe which is about the same energy of a 22 rimfire. So this rifle will shoot through and fence board, 2x4s, etc. You have to be Very carefull where you aim and shoot this rifle. There is a video below of me showing what this rifle will do in my backyard.

A great alternative to AEA for backyard friendly PCP rifle is the Avenger Bullpup. It's about half the price, very quite, stupid accurate, and shoots around 30 fpe. There is a video below that details that rifle in the backyard.

AEA Challenger Pro 22 Cal

Avenger Bullpup:

Last edited:
Mike -- am I wrong -- for me I want a 22 air rifle to kick up to 55-60 fpe max, but also shoot 30 fpe all day. Magazine needs to fit some long slugs too. Gotta be regulated.

AEA Challenger Pro will certainly do the job but to me it's a bench gun. Too heavy and metallic to carry around much. I haven't even figured out where to hook up a sling on this damn thing yet and I've had it well over a year. Why bother, I'm not carrying it more than 50 feet out to the deck.

I would say ONE option to be "backyard friendly" AND have some power on tap. Umarex Guantlet 30 and you can now get it with the sidelever for a couple extra bucks.

Yes you're shooting 30 caliber ammo. BUT if you turn down the power on the hammer spring to minimum, you're then shooting around 70 FPE which is actually very very quiet even with a small Donny FX moderator on there. Backyard friendly all the way. So you can use that setting for target shooting with JSB 44.75 grain pellets and get about 6 magazines on the regulator. Amazing.

Then you can just turn the allen bolt 3 or 4 turns to the right and all of a sudden you're at max power and you can kick 65 grain slugs at 124 FPE. Only getting 3 mags on the reg however.

To Leo C I would say if you have a lust for power but also want a gun that can be quiet, go 30 caliber and the Guantlet 30 is affordable and you will love to shoot it.

I've been looking at a lot of air rifles lately, ranging from the affordable Benjamin Marauder to the slightly pricier AEA Challenger Pro, and even the more expensive FX Wildcat MKIII BT VP. As a beginner with only a .22 Gamo break barrel air rifle, I'm unsure whether I should start with something cheaper and then gradually upgrade to higher-end rifles, or if I should go straight for the best one available. Currently, I mainly play in the backyard, but I hope to one day have the opportunity to use the rifle for deer or wolf hunting.
银,我不认为你错了。听起来 30 Cal Guantlet 30 Cal 是一款非常适合后院使用的步枪。我可能会买一个并对其进行后院审查。但是,Leo 的问题是关于 22 Cal 中的 AEA Challenger PRO。我对那支步枪提出了我的意见(和视频)。

I sold an AEA Challenger Pro in .22 a few months ago.

The trigger is atrocious, very heavy and long, single stage and non-adjustable.
It is very loud, even with a big silencer.
It is extremely powerful, but that is mostly useless because of the bad trigger.

For backyard shooting buy something else.

Actually, for any shooting buy something else, since the AEA Challenger Pro is not worth anywhere close to the $800 price.
I sold mine for less than $500, and was happy that someone else bought it.

Last edited:
It is very loud, even with a big silencer.
It is extremely powerful, but that is mostly useless because of the bad trigger.

For backyard shooting buy something else.
This. I've worked on a Challenger Pro for a friend and this gun is way too powerful for a bench gun to shoot at targets and way too loud even with a silencer. And don't even think to shoot it without as it's even louder than a rimfire rifle.
The trigger can be polished and get a bit better but for 1200€ (price in EU) I can get a better fun than that.

The guy that owned the rifle then went for a cheap 350€ Hatsan Flashpup and he loves it. Well to be exact I love it as he has sold it to me. :)

I've got a regular challenger bullpup in 30 cal as well with 24 inch shrouded barrel. Extremely loud without a moderator so I ordered a Buck-Rail 30 cal mod for $40.00 and I still need something quieter. Does the Ronin tame the bark more? Big difference in price but I have to try something else. Love the gun otherwise shoots great!

I've got a regular challenger bullpup in 30 cal as well with 24 inch shrouded barrel. Extremely loud without a moderator so I ordered a Buck-Rail 30 cal mod for $40.00 and I still need something quieter. Does the Ronin tame the bark more? Big difference in price but I have to try something else. Love the gun otherwise shoots great!

If you want it really backyard friendly I'd get something bigger than the Ronin. Since it's already expensive, spending a little more may be worth it. But yes the Ronin does make a big difference in the muzzle report compared to nothing at all.

Reactions: Dogowsky
I have a standard 30 sl, 200fpe if I want it. Without a moderator, sounds like a powder burner rifle. I have the emperor on it. At 180fpe, it’s quiet enough for backyard. But I’ve tinkered with it so much messing with regulator, changing out springs, and the valve tension. For now I have it set to shoot around 90fpe, supet lighr spring, 2000psi and with emperor, so quiet you wouldn’t even think it’s a gun, well until u hear it hit. That’s the only loud part. IMO it’s the best deal for a gun. I love how I can set it to shoot super low and take plenty of shots or really high powered. It’s just so dam versatile. It’s heavy as heck but I only shoot it on a tripod. One heck of a great gun for the price!!