IS A WHELLER TORQUE SCREW DRIVER WHAT TO USE TO mount A rifle SCOPE.

I have never used a torque wrench to mount a scope.

Just treat the bolts like you were tightening a cylinder head. Run them all in at finger tight until they are all engaged to the same thread level, then work round in diagonals just a snotch at a time until they all feel snug.

A PCP is highly unlikely to snake a scope loose - just make the bolts snug so the scope won’t move and not bear down the wrench with the risk of crimping the tube.

Diagonal tightening (1,4,2,3 on a four bolt clamp) is, in my opinion, far more important to put an even load on the clamp, than worrying about torque readings. Just don’t over tighten- there is no need to treat a scope like nailing down an angry rattlesnake.

Whilst I am expending effort on this, don’t skimp on rings. Pointless sticking a nice scope into crappy rings. Take a look at Tier One (personal favourite).

I don't want to discourage using a torque driver, as it can be a good learning tool. But a properly fitting screwdriver tip is more important. The bits with some torque drivers don't fit into the driver real securely, and the tip often doesn't fit the screw head well, so you can end up with a sloppy connection, which can result in damaged screws. Once you translate a certain torque to its feel, you won't need the torque driver for scope rings.

I use a Wiha torque limiting screwdriver...
torque1.jpg

Doesn't have to be Wheeler brand just make sure it is in-lbs.
Thank you
Doesn't have to be Wheeler brand just make sure it is in-lbs.
While plenty of scopes have been mounted without the use of something to measure the amount of torque you put on both the screws to mount the bases and scope rings, yes the better way is to use the something like the Wheeler to measure and apply the correct amount of torque to each.
Thank you

i use a wheeler FAT wrench, my only complaint is none of the tips fit any of my scope rings well at all!

18in/lbs on the rings, 30 on the base!
I broke FX scope rings at 15”# using a Wheeler Fat Wrench. I emailed FX and asked what rating they suggested and they couldn’t give me a specific number but they did replace the rings.

I have never used a torque wrench to mount a scope.

Just treat the bolts like you were tightening a cylinder head. Run them all in at finger tight until they are all engaged to the same thread level, then work round in diagonals just a snotch at a time until they all feel snug.

A PCP is highly unlikely to snake a scope loose - just make the bolts snug so the scope won’t move and not bear down the wrench with the risk of crimping the tube.

Diagonal tightening (1,4,2,3 on a four bolt clamp) is, in my opinion, far more important to put an even load on the clamp, than worrying about torque readings. Just don’t over tighten- there is no need to treat a scope like nailing down an angry rattlesnake.

Whilst I am expending effort on this, don’t skimp on rings. Pointless sticking a nice scope into crappy rings. Take a look at Tier One (personal favourite).
Thank you

Reactions: EncoreUneFois