Is a multi pump .22 is good for hunting Nutria?

Looks like about 17 fpe and Nutria weigh 10-20 pounds. I don't think that is enough fpe for reliable clean kills. I'm thinking 30-40 fpe would be more appropriate. Even then you wouldn't have "plenty of gun". The size seems similar to a raccoon, not similar to a squirrel (which weigh about a pound). 17 fpe is fully adequate for squirrel in my experience but isn't overwhelming even on squirrels. For animals that large I would want a 25 caliber with around 50 fpe. I did take a small, 8 lb, raccoon with my 32 fpe 22 which is why I think it might be a reasonable minimum. Even with 32fpe it took 3 solid hits.

I really like this gun for the price and here we see Jim dispatching some pretty big bunny's. I'm thinking the nutria on my buddy's property would be doable as well. I know I could get within 40 yards. Nutria are bigger though. Thoughts?

That's a bit light for reliable kills at 40 yards on something that size. You'd want to take only head shots and keep your range to about half that. No point in having them swim off. You can eat those and they really are very tasty if they are from clean water where there are cattail roots for them to eat.

I really like this gun for the price and here we see Jim dispatching some pretty big bunny's. I'm thinking the nutria on my buddy's property would be doable as well. I know I could get within 40 yards. Nutria are bigger though. Thoughts?

Shot placement is something to consider. Clean shot to the brain , yes, anywhere else, no, not if you want to retrieve it.

Looks like about 17 fpe and Nutria weigh 10-20 pounds. I don't think that is enough fpe for reliable clean kills. I'm thinking 30-40 fpe would be more appropriate. Even then you wouldn't have "plenty of gun". The size seems similar to a raccoon, not similar to a squirrel (which weigh about a pound). 17 fpe is fully adequate for squirrel in my experience but isn't overwhelming even on squirrels. For animals that large I would want a 25 caliber with around 50 fpe. I did take a small, 8 lb, raccoon with my 32 fpe 22 which is why I think it might be a reasonable minimum. Even with 32fpe it took 3 solid hits.
Thank you good info

That's a bit light for reliable kills at 40 yards on something that size. You'd want to take only head shots and keep your range to about half that. No point in having them swim off. You can eat those and they really are very tasty if they are from clean water where there are cattail roots for them to eat.
Yes I think head shots from as close as possible could work but over all a little more umph is best. As far as eating no way

Shot placement is something to consider. Clean shot to the brain , yes, anywhere else, no, not if you want to retrieve it.
With everything I've heard in response as well as other research I think you've got it spot on. Question is will I get the head shot? My thoughts on the idea of an ''ethical kill'' is compare it to the death they would likely have in the wild. I think 5-20 minutes to die from getting shot beats most all of what they could expect from nature. That being said I'm a bit of a softy and would want it fast as possible personally.

Reactions: Farmplinker2