Is a .30 caliber airgun REALLY deadlier than a .25?

Having had some experience with hogs and iguanas using .30 airguns I qualify my answer. Shooting iguanas ( headshots) with a Delta Wolf and 44.75 Hybrid slugs @915fps have not dispatched them any quicker or deader"than a 22 cal FX M3 with Javelin slugs @975 fps. In relation to body shots, in all honesty I have not seen any measurable difference between the 30 and the 22. The M3 allows more than 125 shots before refilling (to remain within regulator pressure). With the 30 , after 30 -35 shots the Wolf in "gasping" for air Hogs, to a big extent are in a different category I have made a one shot kill on 250 pound vietnamese feral hog as well as one shot kills in smaller hogs, however, with Hogs, the caveat, as in most big game it is shot placement that determines the outcome. If you are after smaller and more abundant game, it might be wiser to go for a lighter caliber with more air and magazine reserve loading capacity. For bigger game such as hogs , the 30 will be fine if you place your shot in the right place, albeit a powerful 22 slug might very easily penetrate the the skull if you hit the right spot. Hope this helps,

LFCM

I would assume FPE would be the deciding factor. If the shot(s) hit the same spot the round with the greatest FPE should do the most damage. Do an FPE calculation. If the Javelin is the 36gr @ 975 = 76 FPE. 44.75 @ = 83 FPE......this is muzzle velocity I assume. FPE will decrease with distance.

I'm shooting JSB Match Diablo .30 44.75gr in my Delta Wolf @ 930 fps muzzle velocity, FPE at the muzzle is 86 FPE, at 50 yards 778 fps / 60 FPE and 549 fps at 100 yards / 43 FPE. I've never shot an iguana but I'm reasonably certain at 50 yards a .30 with that energy would make a sizeable wound/mess.

Last edited:
Yes and no!. It still depends on what power is behind and abillity to penetrate. Best example on this: How deadly is a headshot with a 5inch snowball thrown by human hand on wild boar?...
That could VERY EASILY turn out to be deadly.
When the wild boar realizes what just happened, and turns around and charges at the idiot human, it could very well turn out to be deadly!

Reactions: rigbymauser
Thank you so much for an excellent article. I love the science behind shooting. I have been hog hunting several times with my .30 cal Gen11 FX Crown. I was wondering about the "point blank range" at which your customer attempted to shoot those hogs. My crown does not create 70fps, nevertheless my shot placed just above and between the eyes dropped the hogs immediately from 20 to 25yds. Not sure why his shots didn't do the same. Just wondering. Also did a test on one carcass of an 85lb hog from 20yds and even after breaking a rib the pellet went through to just under the skin on other side.. Might have to try a .25 cal next time!!

I have seen Hogs shot with a 30-30 and .308 keep on truckin for awhile. Really depends on shot placement and projectile penetration I think a higher SD pellet/slug would do very well regardless of caliber but seems to favor the .22 and .25 due to weight available and velocity limitations of air guns with the heavy .30. Wonder what the Altros slugs would do?

Reactions: ccarson2