Is a .30 caliber airgun REALLY deadlier than a .25?

I want to give an example of stopping power. 

The Cal used by professional hunters for stopping cape Buffalo in Africa is a super wide one. That means that a larger Cal transfer more energy, even at slow speed of the projectile. 

In demolition companies, to make a building to fall down they use a very heavy iron ball that do not even moves at the fps of a Daisy bb gun. 

Not a particularly relevant thing, IMO. From everything I've read, cape buffalo can be very difficult to stop with anything. And considering the numbers of small game species that have been taken with .177 air guns, air gun performance has little relation to the above.

Mice can be taken with .177 doubtless.

The discussion is about suitability for javalina or wild turkey or bobcat or coyote size animals of of .25 Cal compared to .30 Cal.,

For all those I would prefer to have a .30 Cal with the customary 80 foot pounds on my hands than a .25 with the customary 55 foot pounds ..... Always.

And if both rifles were equaly 65 foot pound, I would prefer also the .30 Cal.

What is also a fact is that you need a pellet, on both calibers, that is hard enough to penetrate where you want to place the shot. 

I've done many tests with different media, and while these tests were interesting on bullet performance, they rarely applied to real-world scenarios. Ballistic gel, new paper, and clay are constant media, and live tissue is not. I've had bullets tumble or do a ninety-degree turn. I've shot canine size animals on the farm and tracked the actual wound channel as well as organ damage and failure. In a large target, a pellets will drill a straight line wound, and the caliber dictates the size of the wound channel. Expansion is of no value and is the difference between a single or double lung. Penetration of a .25 and .30 are equal at the same feet per second. Foot pounds of the applied energy is only handicapping the larger caliber. I believe the failure of killing the hog was due to the pellet being too soft. You can use all the energy you want on playdough, but it will not penetrate a wall.

I've done many tests with different media, and while these tests were interesting on bullet performance, they rarely applied to real-world scenarios. Ballistic gel, new paper, and clay are constant media, and live tissue is not. I've had bullets tumble or do a ninety-degree turn. I've shot canine size animals on the farm and tracked the actual wound channel as well as organ damage and failure. In a large target, a pellets will drill a straight line wound, and the caliber dictates the size of the wound channel. Expansion is of no value and is the difference between a single or double lung. Penetration of a .25 and .30 are equal at the same feet per second. Foot pounds of the applied energy is only handicapping the larger caliber. I believe the failure of killing the hog was due to the pellet being too soft. You can use all the energy you want on playdough, but it will not penetrate a wall.

Have no fear, youngbuck.

There will be a part II to this video coming this Friday.

This time, real flesh is the testing media...I will show you the difference in tissue damage between the .25 and .30...and I'll show you why the .30 didn't penetrate the hog skulls.

You're absolutely correct about the importance of penetration...such as the single or double lung issue.

Shot placement and penetration are the two most important factors with an airgun...period.

-Donnie

I would like to share some pictures of trajectory of a .357 pellet in a chest shot on my second white tailed deer.

Please look at the damage on ribs. Look at the size.

Following Donnie line of thinking a .25 Cal would have cause the same damage. Impossible, IMO:

DSC_0286.1633543061.JPG

DSC_0294.1633543097.JPG

DSC_0295.1633543128.JPG

DSC_0292.1633543169.JPG

DSC_0293.1633543200.JPG

Pellet (JSB 81.02 grain) was recovered after traspasing the scapula (shoulder)within the bone and the skin on the opposite side of entrance.

This is reality and not suppositions on gel or tins of pellets.

An this is the rifle that did the job:

IMG_20211006_133120795.1633545192.jpg

I would like to share some pictures of trajectory of a .357 pellet in a chest shot on my second white tailed deer.

Please look at the damage on ribs. Look at the size.

Following Donnie line of thinking a .25 Cal would have cause the same damage. Impossible, IMO:

DSC_0286.1633543061.JPG

DSC_0294.1633543097.JPG

DSC_0295.1633543128.JPG

DSC_0292.1633543169.JPG

DSC_0293.1633543200.JPG

Pellet was recovered after traspasing the scapula (shoulder)within the bone and the skin on the opposite side of entrance.

This is reality and not suppositions on gel or tins of pellets.

Trajectory was the wrong word to use there.

Nowhere in this entire thing have I ever once mentioned the .35 caliber at whatever energy you were using it.

Very much like your "formula", you are inventing relationships that do not exist.

Like I told youngbuck3006, Part II of this examination is coming this Friday.

It will clearly address your concerns.

Nice buck and good shot, BTW.

-Donnie

The topic is really more about penetration than “deadliness”. 

At the same energy level, we should expect the smaller caliber to penetrate further. It has less frontal area with which to interact with flesh (ballistic gel in this case). That means it is dissipating less of its energy per inch of penetration...which also means it is doing less tissue damage per inch of penetration. Thus in almost every real-world case, the larger caliber is more deadly.

Unless you’re shooting an animal in which you need over a foot of penetration to reach a vital organ....

Deadliness starts with penetration.

-Donnie

Penetration is a "life" changer for sure.

Personally it has cost me a lot of money for food, clothing, college tuition etc...

Will

At the same energy level, we should expect the smaller caliber to penetrate further. It has less frontal area with which to interact with flesh (ballistic gel in this case). That means it is dissipating less of its energy per inch of penetration...which also means it is doing less tissue damage per inch of penetration. Thus in almost every real-world case, the larger caliber is more deadly.

Unless you’re shooting an animal in which you need over a foot of penetration to reach a vital organ....

-Donnie

Personally it has cost me a lot of money for food, clothing, college tuition etc...

Will

LOLOL

You're alright!

-Donnie

-Donnie

Will

Good one Will. 

I can confirm your observation 😂

Well, I always chuckle at these conversations. I guess I figure if one can kill whatever one is after, it's deadly enough. I'm kinda in the, Dead is Dead camp. If a .22 can dispatch a rat or Eurasian Collard Dove, so can a .25 and .30. A .30 is a waste, as probably so is the .25. I see the slug shooters doing wonderful things at extreme ranges, and birds exploding, which seems a complete waste of money when a pellet would have done the job instead of a heavy slug.

It all comes down to, pick the right tool for the job. .30 isn't needed for mice and a .22 can't take out some of the larger game. .22 will drift more than a heavier .30 in competition, but a .22 might be all that's allowed.

Pick the right tool for the job.

A very unbiased and good explanation of the difference between 25 and 30 cal. Not to defend the 30 cal. but I use only 25 cal. because of the right balance between energy and accuracy at a given range, but since the test was done at 10 yards, and I think of how the 30 Cal performed I can't help by human nature that due to the weight of the ammo that the 30 Cal at a further distance would then generate the necessary velocity to meet or exceed "the speed and energy" of the 25 to improve or increase penetration. (hee-haw) lol. I am curious if you do another part 3 video on this same subject let's not do the 10 yards pork sirloin test (hope it didn't go to waste! (ha-ha.) Instead as a suggestion, a section of wild hog or deer with hyde on (maybe a head with skull intact for fairer comparison that would better reflect real world results. I don't disagree with your assessment in your part two video. But to even the playing field a little more. maybe shoot at 25 - 45yds and see if there is even a difference. What do ya think?
Oh BTW. Not to be blunt or contrary to the video. In general terms, you are right but since you brought in Alphabet org and the Military which I retired from and in combat arms with formal training I was compelled to respond but to enlighten or clear the perspective.
  • The Alphabet org tests only measure a bullet’s performance in a controlled setting and medium (ballistic gelatin). They do not account for the infinite variables encountered in real-world scenarios.
Notice it's all about the bullets "not pellets" and PCP "slugs". It's not an apple to apples comparison. The military use their ballistics R & D labs to determine pretty much the same standards to a degree but more focused with the combat environment and elements to be encountered on deployment.

Note: When I put Federal Bureau of Investigation it changes to Alphabet.org on it's own.

Interesting topic. I just watched Kentucky Balistics do a video on bulletproof glass and real life evidence shows a crossover between energy and velocity.

I use my .30 on trash bandits and whistlepigs because the slug just pops out the far side, no over penetration.

My .25 slugs seem to glide right through even they mushroom and overpenetrate.

Deadlier? How dead is dead?

skimming it, it misses one point i think .. the frontal area of a larger projectile transfers more energy and makes a larger wound that bleeds faster etc .. 'expansion' isnt really a factor below high powered rifles with so low ofa reliability it shouldnt even be considered in the debate .. and of course the idea that 'all things being equal' as far as energy is pretty dense also .. theyre 'not' equal .. the larger caliber does have more energy in practical application unless comparing a weeny gun to a high end one, on top of creating a bigger wound .. does it matter on a rat? .. no .. not really no lol ... neither do slugs, or super expando, or any other such nonsense ..

Because he's comparing a super anemic .30 to a high octane .25

you don't buy a .30 to most likely run it at 70 FPE, and most .25 are more in the 50-60 FPE range, so......

.......a more fair comparison would be to test the .25 with 25gr pellet @ 900 fps vs the .30 with the 44gr pellet @ 900 fps

then, the .25 with the 34gr pellet at 900 fps vs the .30 with the 51gr pellet at 900 fps......or whatever velocity you decide.

Test the gun for what they are build up to do not strangle one gun and supercharge the other to get the results you want to get.

And that is why the test is extremely flawed.