Is a 20 year old Beeman P3 repair and refurb even worth it?

I have this Beeman P3 I got in 2002. Back in the day, I loved it. Just the best shooter all around with an incredible trigger. Then I was a dumb teen and tried to do some modification to the plastic top part (that the barrel attaches to). The idea was to drill the plastic out for a longer barrel, but I ended up doing a terrible job of it. Since then, it's been sitting in it's case unfired. Truth be told I haven't had a place to shoot airguns since then, and fell out of the hobby.

In the past 20 years I've tried unsuccessfully to reach Beeman to order a replacement top plastic piece. No replies to emails or phone calls. Even worse, the P3 is out of production and all of the lookalikes have fiber optic sights.

Since I'm getting back into the hobby, my eyes have turned back to this gun that I once loved (still do). My idea is that I can buy a $45 P17 or whatever cheap knockoff that is ubiquitous, and swap the top part in.

Would the plastic of the P17 upper look so bad that it would clash with my old P3 lower?

Would it even be worth it if the internal seals of my P3 are probably rotted away?

Should I just put my time and money into a newer gun, instead of something from a ghost like Beeman?

Semi unrelated, I really want a Beeman P1 (used or new). Am I foolish to do so if there is no aftermarket support and even dealers can't get stock of it?

I'm really hoping those of you who have been in the airgun ecosystem while I've been gone can provide insight.

As amazing as the P17 is for the money, it's not the same animal as the original German-made P3 (HW 40). Even if your P3 is indeed ready for the bin (entirely possible given your description of the issue), I would at least see if someone out there has the parts and expertise to repair it before giving up.

I have no idea if P17 parts interchange or not, but I agree that if you end up getting one, it prolly makes more sense to just enjoy it as is, rather than "Frankenstein" the P3. Heck...I'd buy one even if I DID fix the P3! 

Sure, just get a P17 ! $45 to $50 depending on the shop you buy from.

Either swap the trigger parts from the P3 to the P17, or the top strap from the P17 onto the P3.

I'd swap the trigger parts into the P17 gun, that way, all of the cylinder (power) parts are new too ! The P17 trigger is garbage, at least mine was. I spent some time with a file and a stone. It's better, but, but still leaves a LOT to be desired, compared to most all of my other guns

Mike

Thanks for all the replies and info! Sorry to ghost the thread, I've been in the middle of buying an airgun range (ie a house!).

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is what I'm working with:

20220416_140844.1650554991.jpg
20220416_140908.1650554993.jpg

I was a foolish youth. :( At least I was smart enough to remove the barrel so the crown wasn't damaged.

Try Rick Wellnicker at Precision Pellet. He services a lot of guns.

Thanks, I emailed him to see if he could sell me parts domestically.

The HW40 cocking lever, as it is called in the diagram, is available from Airgun Spares for $38 and whatever they get to ship it. If you are tired of it, send it to me, I'll tinker with it...;)

:O This is gold. OMG OMG OMG thank you thank you thank you!!! If Rick can't help, I'm going to order a grip of parts from there. I don't even care that shipping is 30 and it will take a while. This is everything.

I even see I can order a .22 barrel! I might just do that since I'm curious to get into .22. Seems like it will fit up fine, since there is only one SKU for the cocking lever.

As some have mentioned, the P3 is a really nice gun and probably vastly different from the materials, fit, finish of a $45 P17 (though I might get one of those for my partner since she wants to get into airguns). Even though it would be better to bin this one, and mine isn't in new condition, it's a special gun to me. I don't mind spending money to make it whole again. I broke it, I fix it.

What is the deal with Beeman anyway? Do they just not have a CS? Most of their guns are backordered everywhere. Are they still an active company? Is this normal?