• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is 800mm the new norm?

I see what you did replacing,,,,,, " little swimmers " with mm :LOL:

As soon as I read that I have that song and dance with line of children going out for sale in my head, truly one of all time greatest movies ever made.

Obviously 800mm isn’t and won’t be the norm, it’s for the few that want extreme power or play close to 22LR power. The OAL is 44 inches which really isn’t that bad, I don’t see nobody complaining about a redwolf HP with OAL of 45 inches!! Or AAA Evol with OAL 41.5 inches! OR a true hunting rig like Airforce Texan with OAL of 45 inches before the 10 inch of moderator? Even the lowly air arm s510 farc is 44.74 inches before a moderator.

Impact with 800mm barrel is simply on par in OAL with all traditional rifles with descent power.

Last edited:
I agree on 800 mm not being the norm.
I prefer to have things compact, but not necessary bullpup compact, i do actually favor the conventional rifle design, in which case 800 mm would just be wayyyyy too long.
600 mm are fine, and i can also shoot 80 - 100 M and generally have sub MOA groups with a 500 mm barrel and thats all i need as i am locked by others to the .177caliber.
If i was a free man with no masters treating me like a child i do think i would at least shoot .22, and if there was a way to shoot long like 200 M i might get a .25 or .30 rifle for that.
And there are long ranges here, but the clubs owning / operating them are probably so conservative / arrogant that they would not have a guy there using HPA as propellant.
So even " IF " i would probably still be in between a rock and a hard place.

The " MP " song and dance,,,, just go to prove how insane religions are, i am firmly pro law making banning any and all religious signs and what not in public.
At home, people can do what they like to.

There i probably gave myself a no fly order in the bible belt :D

Reactions: qball
As soon as I read that I have that song and dance with line of children going out for sale in my head, truly one of all time greatest movies ever made.

Obviously 800mm isn’t and won’t be the norm, it’s for the few that want extreme power or play close to 22LR power. The OAL is 44 inches which really isn’t that bad, I don’t see nobody complaining about a redwolf HP with OAL of 45 inches!! Or AAA Evol with OAL 41.5 inches! OR a true hunting rig like Airforce Texan with OAL of 45 inches before the 10 inch of moderator? Even the lowly air arm s510 farc is 44.74 inches before a moderator.

Impact with 800mm barrel is simply on par in OAL with all traditional rifles with descent power.
People like to complain about anything fx its as simple as that. I may be wrong but isnt fx the only company offering a 800mm currently? Someone with a crown could use it if they dont mind the length but I believe its intended for the impact and slug use. Like has already been said by me and other posters like you an impact with the 800mm barrel will be in the same length as other rifles with much shorter barrels and it will be under 45". Like you said no one complains about non fx rifles that are the same length or longer.

Reactions: L.Leon and qball
Taken in a secret place in Sweden....

8wGHx3V.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: qball
People like to complain about anything fx its as simple as that. I may be wrong but isnt fx the only company offering a 800mm currently? Someone with a crown could use it if they dont mind the length but I believe its intended for the impact and slug use. Like has already been said by me and other posters like you an impact with the 800mm barrel will be in the same length as other rifles with much shorter barrels and it will be under 45". Like you said no one complains about non fx rifles that are the same length or longer.
Not sure why people are complaining bullpup to traditional rifle. Sure a bullpup like the impact with a 800mm barrel is same length as a traditional rifle with 600mm. But do you guys even think that most of the length of the rifle is the receiver and stock? So the barrel itself isn't sticking out that long. Meaning less droop. 800mm on a pup mean 80% of barrel is out just sagging out. Lol. On a gun like the impact that have only 1 tiny screw holding the whole barrel to the gun, there is gonna be mega drooping. Have you wonder why traditional rifle even 43 inches long doesn't need a barrel tension and guns like the impact needs a barrel tension even with a 700mm?

You can argue about solid vs “soda straw” all day but I don’t see the point when accuracy is on par if not better while being lighter and can be easily change out. Who is doing monkey bars using their barrel? To each their own but I like to change things up for fun over and over again. How many out there have a dozen R/D/A wolf or Evol or AA or Raw or any other brand barrels in different caliber and length for giggles? I have and know many people who have more barrels than me and we would have more wasn’t for the shortage on the barrels, I traded/sold a few barrels to friends because they needed them and I weren’t shooting them at the time.

Someone already said, people will complain about anything especially the things they don’t know/understand. 800mm too long but I want more POWER……lots of self contradiction here. If you don’t need the power 800mm barrel provides then why complain about it because no one is forcing anyone to buy it while other actually do want it and “need” it. Hell FX has 300mm/380mm barrel if you want a short barrel I happen to have 4 of them, I have 300mm to 700mm barrels in 177, .22 and .25 so I can change whenever I feel like it…..which is practically all the time! Today I feel like ultra compact and tomorrow I’m going to the 300 yard range, what’s not to like?

Last edited:
harmonic or not accuracy is accuracy, if the gun is accurate then does it matter how long the barrel is?

Edit: I got tired of waiting so canceled my back order, might/probably will change my mind later. But friend of mine has the slugger and I tuned it for him, EASY sub MOA at 100 yards and plinking 4 inch gong at 200 and 250 yards with ease. No no idea where the horrific harmonic problem with 800mm barrel is, maybe one day it will jump out.

Last edited:
The only reason I think rhe 800mm was out is to be able to reasonably been able to shoot 40g slugs for the FX line.. I imagined 700mm would require a to high reg pressure that might make the gun to armonic unstable. Fx are pretty smart people..I could bet that by the way valves are evolving next generation FX would be able to do 40g with a shorter barrel.. then 800 mm will be old n forgotten news..
Think the real reason is Matt dubber, and some of his coworkers. They was developing the 40 grain slug, and ask FX if they could make an 800mm one, to better push that slug at higher speed.

Doesn't matter if it's a bullpup or traditional rifle, longer is longer regardless of what it sit in. All sorts of harmonically unfriendly things start happening the longer you go. It's a cheap substitute for making power without having to redesign a product to meet the need/want of the consumers.
Really? So 19 inches of free floating is the same as 30 inches? Of course it matters what gun the barrel is in. You're always in these Fx threads griping lol.

You have your jaded glasses on again, you don't see these minor changes along the way allow a MK1 to make more power, run higher cap magazines or shoot slugs. Yeah why didn't they include all this in 2015 😁 (they hadn't thought of it yet) It's funny I never hear you bitching about backwards compatibility much though?

Last edited:
harmonic or not accuracy is accuracy, if the gun is accurate then does it matter how long the barrel is?
The longer barrels “matter” dependent on how you are using said gun. Don’t know if these longer FX barrels will become the “norm” with their consumer base. But if they make some shooters happy? Why not?

The longer barrels “matter” dependent on how you are using said gun. Don’t know if these longer FX barrels will become the “norm” with their consumer base. But if they make some shooters happy? Why not?
Yeah exactly, but many of us mentioned in a bullpup if the OAL length (37 inches in an impact) is shorter still than the average gun that's great! Of course these won't become the standard that's ridiculous. It's for the few customers that want it. If they want it and can have it apparently that's a real bad thing to the small minded.

37" and 19 of it floating (doesn't matter if it's on a Crown or Impact just ask Dana)

20220907_203258.jpg

Pfft! 700mm? 800mm? Those are rookie numbers. How about 1200mm:

View attachment 289649

You sir can truly say: that’s not a barrel, THIS is a barrel! 🤣

And that gun is indeed very impressive especially length wise, I was shocked when I saw you took it out of the case. I was laughing at your case(case was almost as tall as you) till you pulled the gun out!
1663115976569.gif

Last edited: