Is 800mm the new norm?

I remember few years back 600mm was the norm. Then came out with the 700mm and like 90% folks switch over to 700mm. Now it seem some are using 800mm. Is 800mm the new norm? Can't wait for the 900mm and 1000mm. Might as well make a barrel long enough to reach out 50 to 100 yards to your target and never miss a shot again. XD
I’m amped to find out . I have been on pre order for several months

I remember few years back 600mm was the norm. Then came out with the 700mm and like 90% folks switch over to 700mm. Now it seem some are using 800mm. Is 800mm the new norm? Can't wait for the 900mm and 1000mm. Might as well make a barrel long enough to reach out 50 to 100 yards to your target and never miss a shot again. XD
If they make it - and convince us why we need it - we’ll buy it - this is the way of marketing extraordinaire!

If you are using a rifle like the impact an 800mm barrel still gives a pretty short oal for the rifle. My m3 with the 700mm barrel is 38" with a 5" moderator attached. If I put the 800 mm barrel on it will be 42" with the same moderator. My centerfire hunting rifle has a 22" barrel and its 42" long. Are the people crying about the length strictly airgun shooters? A 42" rifle is still pretty easy to handle and if its not for you then dont use it.

Reactions: ChRiSiS and qball
The only reason I think rhe 800mm was out is to be able to reasonably been able to shoot 40g slugs for the FX line.. I imagined 700mm would require a to high reg pressure that might make the gun to armonic unstable. Fx are pretty smart people..I could bet that by the way valves are evolving next generation FX would be able to do 40g with a shorter barrel.. then 800 mm will be old n forgotten news..

Reactions: qball
Wont see me toting one. I am not a bench shooter and I got rid of My Mav Sniper because the 700mm barrel was a pain in the field. Now my longest barrel is 600mm and I am quite happy with what it does.
The issue I see with the long barrels is droop and then there are all the add ones to address that. barrel sleeves, tensioning kits spacers etc.
I pulled my head out of the longer faster heavier rabbit hole when I saw what was involved. Give me an M3 with a 600mm barrel and some 25-28 gr slugs. Does anything I reasonably expect from an air gun. May not do it for you but I would rather be shooting than playing with all the details of making that magic wand work.

Reactions: TRIPP and L.Leon
The posted question was, "is-800mm-the-new-norm," not, 'is it only the new norm for FX Impacts'. Maybe that's how it was meant, (especially because the poster was lmactX) but I was just speaking to the broader topic of length for shoulder fired guns, be they shotguns even. Any gun over 45" is a logistical nightmare to deal with and if they, for whatever reason, need to be longer then they should come standard with a folding/collapsible stock. (Other sports have the same problem, like Flyfishing. A two piece rod is a mistake I made only once.) As far as bullpup pcp's go, you could put up to a meter long barrel on those, easily. Who cares, it will still only be the length of a conventional rifle. My point was that a lot of people have to travel to shoot and regardless of performance gains, the overall length has to be considered and even if 800mm was deemed optimal length, I doubt there would be many RAW shooters that would go there. As you can probably tell, I really hate my 54" long gun case! Sorry, this turned into an off-topic rant.

If a manufacturer doesn’t come out with a newer version of something that already exist, then what else are you going to spend your money on? Somebody else’s products?
As a manufacturer, you should never, ever sell your “best” version first. It would be financial suicide.
Have you looked at FX’s product catalog?
There are dozens of rifles and hundreds of peripherals to support them. They could give you the gun and sell you the parts and they’d still make money.
Can you imagine FX selling only guns and maybe replacement parts?
FX is genius. They have engineered an entire sub culture airgun market for themselves and for other manufacturers who would not exist if not for FX.
Are you familiar with Apple?

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon