Is .22 too small of a hunting caliber?

And, it is duly noted that you are on the same side of the people who have screwed up America's game laws.

I think there's a pretty valid reason that most all states that I know of don't allow rimfire or small caliber airguns for big game hunting. 

If you aren't smart enough to see why, then I believe you need to buy a mirror and do a little self reflecting before throwing accusations. 

All that needed to happen there was for the deer to move it's head a couple inches in either direction, and Mr. Dodge would still be looking for that deer.

But that didn't happen did it? It kinda looks like the deer didn't move his head a quarter of a inch to me. What does it look like to you?

It is about the hunter, not the tool. Keep hunting long enough and you will figure that out.

This thread is about using a .22 AG to hunt squirrels FFS...

WELL IT WAS ... anyway...

This thread is about using a .22 AG to hunt squirrels FFS...

WELL IT WAS ... anyway...

Oh, I'm sorry ... I could have sworn the very first line in the thread was...

Quote:

"Hi air hunters out there! Is .22 too small of a hunting caliber for squirrels and up?"

Now, I know what 'and up' means to me ...but, what does it mean to you?

And, over the course of the thread thanks to myself showing how 23 fpe, .22 NP2's, are adequate for deer to 25 yards and Mr. Dodges excellent pictures, all of us now know .22's are adequate up to deer sized game.

So far, anyway. Those who have nailed equal sized and/or larger game than that w/ their .22's haven't chimed in yet.

Oh WAIT ...my bad .. JFCHARRUA did w/ the pics of the large hogs taken w/ his .22 Huben.

Nice hogs, JFCHARRUA !!!

I'm leaving this poop show with a couple thoughts for everyone to ponder: 

Do you think that bad shots on big game with tiny calibers just never happens? Or do you think it just conveniently never gets posted like these hero shots do? 

Ultimate Parrots Swearing like humans l Compilation110 *REUPLOAD*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSuiOf1eXs4

Swearing is so birdbrained, don't you agree?

I'm leaving this poop show with a couple thoughts for everyone to ponder: 

Do you think that bad shots on big game with tiny calibers just never happens? Or do you think it just conveniently never gets posted like these hero shots do? 

Do people make bad shots on game? Does that depend upon the weapon or the hunter? When the hunter is videoing his shoot and makes a bad shot, is it likely he will not post the results of that bad shot? Does that depend upon the weapon or the hunter? Have you personally EVER made a bad shot that resulted in wounded game getting away? Did you video it and post it on line?

The original question was answered long ago.

Regarding the poop show, thanks ever so much for your contribution. It would not have become what it has without your personal efforts.

That deer wasn't taken in NY, I actually just moved here and have a pesting permit for the 150acre farm I live on but haven't got to hunt it yet with (2) little guys in diapers right now. I fish a lot more than I hunt and have only taken (4) deer in my life even though "I've been hunting for 15 years" or more like buying hunting tags for 15 years. (2) were with .308, (1) with compound bow and that one with .22. The bow deer took me into the next day to find, the centerfire deer didn't get as far but I'm sure died in some distress, the airgun shot (which is the only airgun shot i've ever taken on a deer) was by far the quickest, least painful, dare I say "humane" kill I've ever given a deer.

A 50 BMG does not guarantee a humane kill, neither does any other tool small or large. Know your equipment and limitations, aim small and be patient and hopefully you can harvest your pray quickly so it doesn't become one of the 1.3 million deer/vehicle accidents that happen each year. https://petpedia.co/deer-accidents-statistics/#:~:text=On%20average%2C%20there%20are%20between,US%20are%201%20in%20116. 

I'm not a card carrying member but am part Wampanoag Indian and although this likely has nothing to do with it, I just cannot imagine bowing at the feet of someone or some entity that tells me how and if I am allowed to provide food for my family that God created for us and allowed us to subdue. I do respect conservation and have an incredible love for the animals we share but we are all subject to a higher authority and will have to answer to actions - if your conscience tells you not to shoot don't, if the internet tells you not to shoot, seek higher council. 

Reactions: JimNM