• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is .22 too small of a hunting caliber?

I took the guys ( you guys here in AGN ) advice and tuned the gun down - way down to around 7-8 ft/lbs - which is still in some ways, believe it or not, a little hot. But guess what - I regularly drop pigeons at 40 yards with an 8 ft/lb HW100 .177.

+1 on moderate powered .177's.

Not too long ago I used my Winchester 1977XS using a Daisy 7.87 wadcutter at 7 pumps which gets 731 fps / 9.3 fpe on a pigeon. The wadcutter slammed it down and it was DRT. I wouldn't hesitate to use my Winnie on a squirrel.

7 FPE .177 is my current pesting setting for tree rats out to 45-50 yards. Like everyone says accuracy is everything!

HOWEVER! If you want a more human kill with less optimum shots which is ethical while working on your accuracy then I highly recommend .25 or even .30 hades at SLOWER speeds like 500-600FPS. Larger projectiles transfers energy better and even less optimum shots are extremely lethal, or at least they are so badly wounded they can’t run very far. BUT it’s a crutch and you’ll find out even with much larger rounds accuracy is still king and you will want to eventually down grade to .22 or .177 at low power but accurate setups because you are simply wounding them still, they just can’t run as far so you have a chance to humanely put them down with a follow up shot. just setup target boxes at your bird feeder and practice a lot. Just about all descent quality guns now and days can put a pellet through the same hole if you do your part. Another reason for .177 pellets is they are cheap to practice and there fore more accurate. 

I went through the same exact phase and good luck on your journey. 

depends on what your after .. ive found .22 to be adequate on squirrels and other rodents ... larger things respond much better to a bigger cross section projectile, in any case it has VERY little to do with energy transfer or expansion when hunting and everything to do with how big and how thoroughly you punch a hole in it ... that said a brain shot will shut most critters down .. the one exception is a large rooster and crows can be tuff to, ive literally skull shot a rooster 4 times with a .22 before and they just keep going .. a .25 will turn the lights out though ..

No way as is stated by many .I think you need to change to a softer pellet,I hope your a good shot ,if not practice until you become one.With that taken care of you want to use a better pellet for your hunting needs= the goal is to keep the pellet from existing=want it to expend as much as possible.Shock is not a goal,excite power is not a goal,the goal is to match the fps,ft.lbs to the game by matching the power of your rifle to the best expanding pellet or use a blunt pellet ,being blunt helps to send the message.LOL.

Many many big cities hire snipers using silenced subsonic 22s. They take only brain shots.

If you look at a deer skull, the brain is quite large, and if you aim in the right spot you’ll hit it pretty much every time within 50 yards. As long as they don’t move while you’re pulling the trigger.

these aren’t hunters, they’re executioners.

mike

Here are articles that speak to sharp shooting of urban deer. I’m sure there are others.

http://www.mbrb.org/about-us/

vhttp://www.deerfriendly.com/deer-population-control/sharpshooter-cost

Great links. Thanks for sharing.

There's quite a few you tube vids about hunting deer w/ air rifles. And links for same. There are even links recommending the best air rifles for deer hunting. Here's one of them.

Top 5 Best Air Rifles for Deer Hunting in 2021 Reviews

https://thegunzone.com/best-air-rifles-for-deer-hunting/

Excuse me,I just read that article,5 air guns to take deer.....I say there are only 3 of them the other two are Not.

I am getting pissed off because some u tube money crappers are telling BS in order to get a percentage of sells .

Most so called air gunners are Not good shots and too many new ones don't know better .

Using a springer to go Deer hunting is Not a good idea and is Illegal .

This BS can give air gunners a bad name.....

Think things out before commenting as there are a lot of people that might believe this crap

And Please do not tell me a springer can kill a deer,so can a 500pound bomb.....

BS,BS I am sick of BS...There is enough all over the place without bringing it here,I am mad as hell and I ain;t taking it no more....

Excuse me,I just read that article,5 air guns to take deer.....I say there are only 3 of them the other two are Not.

I am getting pissed off because some u tube money crappers are telling BS in order to get a percentage of sells .

Most so called air gunners are Not good shots and too many new ones don't know better .

Using a springer to go Deer hunting is Not a good idea and is Illegal .

This BS can give air gunners a bad name.....

Think things out before commenting as there are a lot of people that might believe this crap

And Please do not tell me a springer can kill a deer,so can a 500pound bomb.....

BS,BS I am sick of BS...There is enough all over the place without bringing it here,I am mad as hell and I ain;t taking it no more....

About Norman Turner (Author of the article you 'think' is BS)

Norman is a US Marine Corps veteran as well as being an SSI Assistant Instructor.

He, unfortunately, received injuries to his body while serving, that included cracked vertebrae and injuries to both his knees and his shoulder, resulting in several surgeries. His service included operation Restore Hope in Somalia and Desert Storm in Kuwait.

Norman is very proud of his service, and the time he spent in the Marine Corps and does not dwell on his injuries or anything negative in his life. He loves writing and sharing his extensive knowledge of firearms, especially AR rifles and tactical equipment.

He lives in Kansas with his wife Shirley and the two German Shepherds, Troy and Reagan.

https://thegunzone.com/best-air-rifles-for-deer-hunting/

--

Who do you suppose would know more about the subject of using air rifles on deer? Him? Or, you?

Are you a 'US Marine Corps veteran as well as being an SSI Assistant Instructor' ?

Yes or No?

As far as the you tube vids on hunting deer w/ air rifles goes, the simple fact is that you likely do not believe you can do it and/or have no confidence in yourself to do it. That being the case, everyone else should limit themselves to your own lack of ability.

Again, a simple yes or no answer will suffice.

After all ...."Most so called air gunners are Not good shots and too many new ones don't know better" Right?

Feel free to prove w/ links that springer's are illegal to use on deer. WHOOPS, you can't. 

Alabama 

In Alabama, there are no laws restricting or regulating non-powder guns or air rifles.

Alaska

Like Alabama, Alaska also does not have any laws restricting or regulating air rifles.

Arizona

Arizona is another state whose laws are quiet on the use of non-powder rifles or BB guns. The state, therefore, does not have any laws restricting the use of these guns.

Arkansas

Arkansas does not prohibit the use of air rifles either

https://outdoorever.com/air-gun-laws-by-state/

Better stick w/ using A Daisy Red Ryder on cans and leave big game hunting w/ air guns to those who can, yeah?

Hi air hunters out there! Is .22 too small of a hunting caliber for squirrels and up? 

I use a .22 as my feeder defender and lately I found that if my shots were even a little bit less optimal, I get a very bloody scene with much struggling before lights out. I shoot hades and 20g nsa. How do I lessen suffering with my limited off hand skill? Would higher weight, like 25g nsa, or even 34g pellets, solve my problem? Or they just would help out a little bit and I'm better off going up to a higher caliber?

Thanks for all inputs!

I have a .22 cal pistol that is quite capable of taking larger animals at short range. It is also effective on Mynah at 50 YD. I don't take these shots very often, but I do practice for them. 

Sniping deer though...not quite there yet.

Longfellow, I don’t know where you make this stuff up from and I don’t have time or interest to do your research for you but you are absolutely incorrect in your statements about no laws addressing methods of take in all of the above. Here’s just one example, from AZ which allows only certain species to be taken with PCPs, minimum size .35 caliber. All the other states you mentioned have similar laws, 

A8F621EB-AEF2-4EFF-A556-249B977B7E4B.1621316643.png

Longfellow, I don’t know where you make this stuff up from and I don’t have time or interest to do your research for you but you are absolutely incorrect in your statements about no laws addressing methods of take in all of the above. Here’s just one example, from AZ which allows only certain species to be taken with PCPs, minimum size .35 caliber. All the other states you mentioned have similar laws, 

Seems to me that I could accuse you of the same thing. Here's a repost of the link I used:

Analyzing Air Gun Laws By State: 50 States Airgun Laws
https://outdoorever.com/air-gun-laws-by-state/

Is it your contention that I personally 'made up' everything on that webpage? Yes or No?

In addition to the 4 states cited in my post, there are several other states which have air gun shooting..

But, lets focus on AZ.

2nd repost:

Arizona

Arizona is another state whose laws are quiet on the use of non-powder rifles or BB guns. The state, therefore, does not have any laws restricting the use of these guns.

https://outdoorever.com/air-gun-laws-by-state/ <-- See that link? Same one I used before.

What exactly is your gripe? What is it exactly that you are accusing me of 'making up' ?

I see no conflict between your meme and what I posted from the above webpage.

Here's another link:

Arizona Airgun Hunting Regulations

Arizona allows airguns to be used for certain species. 

https://airgunlaws.com/arizona-airgun-laws/

So what exactly is it that you are accusing me of 'making up'?

Oh and Btw? My post which you responded to was in regard to boscoebrea ... unless you and he are one and the same person, I'm having a hard time understanding why you are responding to a post made to another member w/ false accusations against me.

You worry about taking a squirrel with a .22? I've seen folks take down a deer with a .22 airgun with 1 shot and they drop like a stone.

Name one place in the world where that is a legal and/or ethical method of taking that size game.

Had you researched AGN a tad more thoroughly, you would have come across this thread:

30 Cal? But why??
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/30-cal-but-why/page/2/

In said thread is a reference to a number of you tube vids on hunting antelope sized animals in Africa w/ .30 air rifles. Antelope being the same size as whitetailed deer.