Is .20 Dead?

No argument here. .22 along with more powerful rifles came along and shooters found they could do the same things in .22 they were doing in .20 and cheaper. .20 dead? No, just on the fringe of air gunning and while it has it's fan base, that base is nowhere near as big as the other calibers.
While I play safe, hedge my bets and still buy when I can to add to my stash, I highly doubt H&N and JSB will stop making pellets since there are still a couple companies that make rifles and PCP's in the caliber, not to mention the 10's of 1000's of Sheridans in assorted versions that are still out there and loved by many. While they have no plans to make anything new, they're smart enough to know they have a market, can make money and still make the few they do.

Reactions: Bolillo
My question is, How many of the .20 haters have owned and spent time with the caliber rather then making a decision on pellet choice and availability. As good as the brown box 14.3 .20's were the jsb 15.9 and the 13.7 are even better. Once you fine a gun that shoot the .20 you have a winner. Been a big fan for over 20 yrs.

20191125_133105.jpg

Three years ago I decided no to .20, not worth the hassle, no pellet selection. (Lasted 2 1/2 yrs)
Thanks to reading this forum not one complaint of the .20 cal. I couldn’t resist. Got a HW90 in Jan. and a R9 a few months ago. Just shot the R9, and was blown away by it’s performance.
Hard to understand why this caliber didn’t take off. Friday I ordered a HW97 and a HW98 both in .20, hope I get them (maybe Jan.). Crow
Hey Crow, still waiting for my HW98 in .20 from Krale, been 11 months now. I emailed Weihrauch a week ago asking when or if they were ever going to build this rifle again. Their response was it should be by the end of July, not holding my breath. Hope your vendor has better luck with Weihrauch.

Hey Crow, still waiting for my HW98 in .20 from Krale, been 11 months now. I emailed Weihrauch a week ago asking when or if they were ever going to build this rifle again. Their response was it should be by the end of July, not holding my breath. Hope your vendor has better luck with Weihrauch.
I hear you. I ordered them last year only to be told not currently available. I ordered again on Friday. We’ll see, they took the order. The 98 is an awesome gun, Good luck. Crow

It's been dead for 30 years......and barely alive before that.

A quick look at the pellet selection should prove that.

The guns cost more up front, and they cost more to feed, yet don't offer anything that another caliber can't do.

Beeman blew smoke about it for years to give him something seemingly "exclusive" to sell and charge more for it.

Sheridan chambered their guns in it so they could also sell the pellets to ensure the proper performing ammo for their own guns.

So those well known examples that TRULY pushed the .20 caliber, had a BIGGER reason in mind than just another funky caliber that was claimed "the best of both worlds"

When in reality it is also "the worst of both worlds" between other popular (and much more available) calibers.

I have an R9, R10 and HW80S in .20 caliber. .22 pellets have been tried in these guns, but .20 is way more accurate. I only shoot the JSB 13.73 grain which I call the God Pellet, because its been so accurate when pushed over 720 fps. On a calm day in the woods, 1.25" groups at 80 yards put a smile on my face.

Even though their a few .20 offerings, I haven't heard of anyone ..... not finding "The Pellet" for their gun.

Last edited:
The market speaks, and ballistics aside, it's not a popular caliber. It's performance can be matched by more readily available calibers... Can you buy .20s at a Wally World?, or, locally? At a sporting goods store, probably not... The .177 and .22 will always outsell the .20s
What we all should have learned by now (I'm 63), popular means absolutely nothing.

Just got my first .20 cal scoped up and sighted in and love it, the big hole is 15 shots @ 50yds awsome accuracy from such a small platform, the rifle over all is only like 20”. For me the .20 cal isn’t dead and just a new beginning for me, going to stock up on pellets before they are non existent

View attachment 274624

View attachment 274625
you need a bigger scope on that one had one like it few years ago very accurate was shooting 850 very well

What we all should have learned by now (I'm 63), popular means absolutely nothing.

Well in this case, it will eventually mean whether you can find ammo or not.....

If pellet production has trouble keeping up with demand, which ones do you think will get dropped first? It won't be .177 or .22

Absolute is quite the word. I don't speak in absolutes... Really? A popular, good, widely available in many configurations product (.177 and .22), will outsell a product produced in smaller quantities and varieties (.20) which is only available online. Seems simple to me. I'm not hating on the .20, just don't consider a caIliber I would use. The market speaks and while the .20 has its fans. The other calibers have many, many more fans. Hence more popular in fact, and in use.

It's been dead for 30 years......and barely alive before that.

A quick look at the pellet selection should prove that.

The guns cost more up front, and they cost more to feed, yet don't offer anything that another caliber can't do.

Beeman blew smoke about it for years to give him something seemingly "exclusive" to sell and charge more for it.

Sheridan chambered their guns in it so they could also sell the pellets to ensure the proper performing ammo for their own guns.

So those well known examples that TRULY pushed the .20 caliber, had a BIGGER reason in mind than just another funky caliber that was claimed "the best of both worlds"

When in reality it is also "the worst of both worlds" between other popular (and much more available) calibers.
Lol ... That is SOOOOOO funny !!! How many pellet types are there any longer for .25 caliber / What about .30 caliber ?
Is this quote above Spoken by someone we'll assume has spent no time with the .20 caliber even tho it has been around as a Pellet caliber for at least 50 years .. Huh ?

Reactions: Bolillo and SteveV
The market speaks, and ballistics aside, it's not a popular caliber. It's performance can be matched by more readily available calibers... Can you buy .20s at a Wally World?, or, locally? At a sporting goods store, probably not... The .177 and .22 will always outsell the .20s
Long time listener, first time caller. Did not find a search button, so apologies if this has been beat to death. Wanted to take pulse of hardcore shooters:

Finally took the .20 plunge last summer with some old Beeman tins, but current selection is discouraging. H&N told me the other day demand is so low they only plan to offer FTT & Barracudas. Looks like Predator Ploymags are the only hunting pellets of quality.

So, is .20 dead and everyone migrating to .25? What do ye purists say?
I have found .20 to be the best caliber for the Beeman R9 platform. Have found the FTT's to be the preferred pellets of most of my German springers

For clarification, any accurate pellet out of your gun is a great hunting pellet...for its intended use.

Funny how every .20 discussion that comes up seems to go the way this one has.....

Couple fun thoughts I had for the argument that it is inferior to the .22.
In a truly apples to apples comparison......
  • 13.73grain .20s versus 13.43grain .22s. Super rare for somebody to shoot a 13.43gr .22 in field target, a shooting discipline where repeatable accuracy and performance in the wind is paramount. Not so rare to see somebody rocking the 13.73 grain .20 in field target, and typically doing quite well.
  • 15.89 grain .20 versus 15.89grain .22. The difference in BC is astounding. And personal long range accuracy results tell the same tale as the BCs in charts. The .20/15.89 obliterates the .22/15.89.

I have an R9, R10 and HW80S in .20 caliber. .22 pellets have been tried in these guns, but .20 is way more accurate. I only shoot the JSB 13.73 grain which I call the God Pellet, because its been so accurate when pushed over 720 fps. On a calm day in the wood 1.25" groups at 80 yards put a smile on my face.

Even though their a few .20 offerings, I haven't heard of anyone ..... not finding "The Pellet" for their gun.
+1 SpiralGroove on a smile on your face. This is one mag group @ 85 yds with AZ Rapid mkll .20. Shoot the jsb exact heavy 15.9 @ 900 fps with a bc or .044. A dime will cover group.

5837233471.jpg

5837233161.jpg

They're (.177 and .22) just more universally available...
VERY true.
My comments were directed to where somebody said something to the effect of "worst of both worlds" up above, against the Beeman claim that the .20 is the best of both worlds.

While I don't completely agree with Beeman that the .20 is the best of both worlds, apples to apples, the .20 beats the same weight pellets in .22. While I would rather shoot my dedicated .177 field target gun over my .20 general use gun for a match that I really want to win.

Reactions: L.Leon