• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is .20 Dead?

After much consideration, I'm going to be selling off a few rifles. One of them is my tuned HW97 .20 cal.

1114221413_HDR~2.jpg

Define "extra loop". Meaning loopiness due to the heavier weight of a .20 cal pellet vs a .177 in the HW30/R7 platform??
Yes, the HW30S (IMO) has the right amount of power for lighter pellets (JSB/AA 7.33) - .20 & .22 are too much.
Unless you want to hunt - the .177 has the advantage. If you want to hunt - take headshots only - this gun has ample accuracy out to 30 yards..

are there any heavy pellets for the .20 other than the JSB 13.? grain.
i have not had much luck finding any kind of selection for .20 cal
H&N makes the FIELD TARGET TROPHY and BARACUDA
JSB the Exact and exact heavy

Those 4 pellets generally shoot very well.

Its the times we're in ... similar to the .22 RF shortage a few years ago FOLKS ARE HORDING !!!

Yes, the HW30S (IMO) has the right amount of power for lighter pellets (JSB/AA 7.33) - .20 & .22 are too much.
Unless you want to hunt - the .177 has the advantage. If you want to hunt - take headshots only - this gun has ample accuracy out to 30 yards..
They're R7's, but I own both .177 and .20 so yep, I can easily compare them any time I want to...lol. Already well aware my R7 .20 is very accurate out to 30 yards and works very well for either pesting or targets. Accurate with both the FTT's and JSB 13.73's.
Numbers for the R7 .20:
-H&N FTT's: Average 554, ES 11, SD 3, 7.78 fpe
-JSB Exact: Average 497, ES 20, SD 6, 7.53 fpe
First targets shot after I got it sighted in at 20 yards, FTT's in the top 2 targets, JSB's in the bottom 2:
R7 Target 20 yards.jpgR7 .20 20 yards.jpg
More than enough with either pellet and very well accurate enough for whacking squirrels out to the 30 yards I have for shooting and I did that at the time with only one good arm and not the one I normally shoot with. Story on it all is posted here if you get bored:

are there any heavy pellets for the .20 other than the JSB 13.? grain.
i have not had much luck finding any kind of selection for .20 cal
You may want to call first but Trenier shows the JSB Heavy 15.89gr pellets in stock:
Also just passed an ad in the Classifieds Gate for a member selling a couple tins of the JSB 13.73's unless someone already grabbed them:
AoA shows the .20 call FTT's in stock but another one to cal first and make sure:

i seen the add for the JSB 13's in the Classifieds Gate and although i might get with the seller i do have some of those on hand.
i am just suprised so may shops are out of stock or lacking any kind of selection.
So what exactly is it you're wanting? Simple easier availability of the 4 kinds that are made or companies to make more than those 4 so there are more choices?? There may be a 5th if Predator comes back with their .20 cal Polymags but I haven't seen anything yet about them.
That trick has already been tried with emails sent to various pellet makers. Some like Crosman never bothered to reply, H&N and JSB at least replied to say what they made was all they planned to and some of the new makers coming on the market were non committal and only said they'd take it under consideration.

i am sure profet is a big factor but you would think if folks are asking they are missing sales?
dont know?
just seems to me theres a fair number of folks shoot .20 cal

if i was to pick up a new gun today it would probably be in .22 just because pellets are reader avaliable?

i have been looking at a new gun and was looking at .30 cal but not being able to get .20's that last few times i went to order has brought me to the thought of just stay in the .22 and them no worries?

i dont know.

maybe it is profit , why take time from the machines to make a low mover pellet when the machine makes fast moving / more profit in .177/.22 ? Another side to this is the stores have to order .20 the companies do not just send product .
Yes, this is why Weihrauch doesn't make as many .20 caliber barrels - cheaper on the margin to mass produce .177 and .22 barrels than turn out a few .20 caliber. In the 20th century Mass Production significantly lowered costs for durable goods ..... making and selling less costs more - business 101.

Pellets are the same - unfortunately, it's about profitability.

So what exactly is it you're wanting? Simple easier availability of the 4 kinds that are made or companies to make more than those 4 so there are more choices?? There may be a 5th if Predator comes back with their .20 cal Polymags but I haven't seen anything yet about them.
That trick has already been tried with emails sent to various pellet makers. Some like Crosman never bothered to reply, H&N and JSB at least replied to say what they made was all they planned to and some of the new makers coming on the market were non committal and only said they'd take it under consideration.
.20 cal polymags are only produced in one run per year and only to meet specific quanities pre-ordered.