• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is .177 a doomed caliber ? I sure hope not !!!!

I'm kind of new here, so forgive me if I missed the bus on this topic.

Hey there, so Macabee Speed was saying that the Umarex Gauntlet is no longer being produced in .177 and the people have spoken - MORE POWER on the BOX ! 

I don't plan to get rid of my beloved .177 rifles, both springers and PCP's. I plan on buying .177 pellets as long as they're on the shelf. There are PLENTY of .177 owners who need pellets, too. Sure, I own a couple .22's but my passion is in 177's.

I guess the trend now is bigger is better and the hunger for that is being fed. One of those ways is to discontinue .177 and add more on the other side of .22 like .25 and .30, and so on. 

My initial knee jerk reaction was, "Oh no, I NEED to stock up on as much .177 tins before they're gone !" A few moments later I realized there are millions of us who still own .177 rifles and we need pellets, so maybe new air rifles won't be available in .177 but the pellets should be here to stay. 

I don't think it's accurate to ask if you ask if you believe this is happening. It's a fact, it is happening. Does the trend to bigger pellets with bigger speed annoy you or excite you ? 

.177 is awesome and I shoot it a lot. Got two springers in .177 but also my Edgun Lelya 2 is in .177 plus one of my Classic Leshiy barrels is .177

I’ll be getting .177 kit fir my Leshiy 2 as well at some point.

lel_dedal_web.jpg
[/url][/img]

Here in the Netherlands to get a gun in .177 in say FX guns is nearly impossible, almost all FX models start in .22 cal. They said if I wanted an .177 buy the .22 cal set up then order the .177 barrel kit. So I went with Brocock Compatto.

So I think part of it popularity in the .177 depends on where you are in the world.

I have always had a soft spot for the small calibers. Large caliber guns have never interested me, this also applies to firearms I have a collector piece my from grandfather in 30/30, but like I said collector piece because it is one of only 750 made and never fired plus I have the original box.

The 25 cal to me is a large caliber in airguns. My Leshiy 2 is in 177 and I plan on either a 22 cal kit or 25 cal kit for it in 2021, it just depends on my future living situation. My Taipan is .25 cal, and is perfect for all “large” caliber needs for an air rifle.

Plus look at the surge in slugs being made in .177.

Being the Olympic calibre it will never go away and many Countries around the world that have power limitations especially Europe (where of course the best pellets in the world are made anyways) will generally use .177 in the main.

Consider huge pellet making companies like H&N whose main market is their own Country with the USA not even coming close, most of that being 10m match pistol shooting, Germany has a shooting club in every single town in the Country.

Power is driven by the USA requirement and is becoming a huge bore IMO, higher power .177 guns now being availible and suitable projectiles for them may start to change that, especially when lead becomes impossible to get and prohibitively expensive due the upcoming ban in Europe!

On your comment about Europe. In countries like Norway and Denmark you have to have an FAC license to have anything above 177 even though there’s no power restrictions on them. I was actually supposed to move to Denmark and because of the restrictions and that’s why I got my leshiy 2 In 177.

Originally though I wanted the Leshiy 2 With a 20 caliber barrel bad because of Denmark I went for the 177 and maybe it was quicker getting it in 177. But the company canceled the position so the contract was canceled and I am not though disappointed at all in the 177.

On your comment about Europe. In countries like Norway and Denmark you have to have an FAC license to have anything above 177 even though there’s no power restrictions on them. I was actually supposed to move to Denmark and because of the restrictions and that’s why I got my leshiy 2 In 177.

Originally though I wanted the Leshiy 2 With a 20 caliber barrel bad because of Denmark I went for the 177 and maybe it was quicker getting it in 177. But the company canceled the position so the contract was canceled and I am not though disappointed at all in the 177.

Well, I live in Denmark and I am shooting .177 HP Red Wolf at almost 40 FPE - Plenty of power to do long range target shooting with either pellets or slugs 👍

My new Daystate Delta Wolf will also be .177 HP and will hopefully be here very soon 😃

While this is the NET ... as a LOL moment of which given the opportunity, would take the challenge of anyone with there best of .177 shooting against any ones best of .20 cal in around 20 fpe having much confidence the .177 shooters going to loose against a .20

Yea no poop !!

No need for a flame suit .... those who actually have any clue on the .20 capabilities know exactly what I'm eluding too.

While this is the NET ... as a LOL moment of which given the opportunity, would take the challenge of anyone with there best of .177 shooting against any ones best of .20 cal in around 20 fpe having much confidence the .177 shooters going to loose against a .20

Yea no poop !!

No need for a flame suit .... those who actually have any clue on the .20 capabilities know exactly what I'm eluding too.

Huh? Your allusions are elusive.