Introduction: New to air rifles again again

Hunted countless pigeons on my uncle's farm with a Daisy back in the 60's then moved away and no air guns until the 90's when I bought 10 acres in the country and battled non-native American birds with a Diana model 52 and 34. Moved again and no air guns until I retired now and renewed my interest. I do have lots of smokeless and black powder experience over all those years though. Deer were getting too heavy to carry out of the woods so we started hunting squirrels with .22LR and THAT is what rekindled my interest in air guns.

Bought a Gamo Swarm Whisper .177 and practiced in my basement until I read more on this forum and others and then bought a Gamo Swarm Viper .22 on sale. I just extended my 13 yard indoor range to 25 yard outdoor and shot about a 10 shot quarter size group from the Viper (benchrest) with Gamo Red Fire pellets which is pretty good for me!

I was trying to decide what forum to join when I saw the @orangeokie post of his Daystate Huntsman Regal (or is it a Revere?). That rifle is beautiful. That is what I want when I move up to PCP.

So my first two questions:
1. I tried TS-22s, Crossman Premier Round Nose, Meisterkugeln, and the Red Fires. The TS-22s and Meisterkugelns were not accurate. The Crossmans were accurate at 13 Yards but a pretty big group at 25 yards. Is there another 22 pellet I should try in the Viper?
2. I live in southern Ohio. I there anyplace I could go within a few hundred miles (I am retired) and actually hold one of the Daystate Huntsmans in my hands?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ThomasT
Hunted countless pigeons on my uncle's farm with a Daisy back in the 60's then moved away and no air guns until the 90's when I bought 10 acres in the country and battled non-native American birds with a Diana model 52 and 34. Moved again and no air guns until I retired now and renewed my interest. I do have lots of smokeless and black powder experience over all those years though. Deer were getting too heavy to carry out of the woods so we started hunting squirrels with .22LR and THAT is what rekindled my interest in air guns.

Bought a Gamo Swarm Whisper .177 and practiced in my basement until I read more on this forum and others and then bought a Gamo Swarm Viper .22 on sale. I just extended my 13 yard indoor range to 25 yard outdoor and shot about a 10 shot quarter size group from the Viper (benchrest) with Gamo Red Fire pellets which is pretty good for me!

I was trying to decide what forum to join when I saw the @orangeokie post of his Daystate Huntsman Regal (or is it a Revere?). That rifle is beautiful. That is what I want when I move up to PCP.

So my first two questions:
1. I tried TS-22s, Crossman Premier Round Nose, Meisterkugeln, and the Red Fires. The TS-22s and Meisterkugelns were not accurate. The Crossmans were accurate at 13 Yards but a pretty big group at 25 yards. Is there another 22 pellet I should try in the Viper?
2. I live in southern Ohio. I there anyplace I could go within a few hundred miles (I am retired) and actually hold one of the Daystate Huntsmans in my hands?

Thanks in advance!
I have the revere in 22, excellent rifle for hunting or plinking.

Reactions: Mike_OH
Yes. it is the Regal with the bolt action. You can get a new Revere (side lever) at Airguns of Arizona for $1099 or a BSA R10 for $799. I love both rifles . . . traditional walnut and steel and laser accurate. Thye R10 is also bolt action.
If the xtra 300 for the Daystate is no problem, go with it. Otherwise, use the 300 on rings and/or glass and go with the BSA.

@Mike_OH - Welcome to Airgun Nation! I would recommend 13 grain JSB or 14 grain H&N pellets for your rifle. Can be tricky to find the magic pellet sometimes!

The closest place that I could think of is Baker Airguns. Lots of good feedback on them and they are relatively close to you.

I recommend the mighty HW30 or the venerable HW95. They are accurate, dependable and heirloom quality rifles. The HW30 is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

You will not be disapointed by a Royal Huntsman. If it is on your radar, go ahead and order one. You would have been better off with an HW95 or HW97 than your Gamos, but that is something we all learn.

When testing pellets in new rifles, I stick with H+N FTT, Crosman Premier, and JSB Exact light and heavy. Those are the ones that make the podium at most field target matches, and have been shown to work well in most rifles worth owning.

@Mike_OH - Welcome to Airgun Nation! I would recommend 13 grain JSB or 14 grain H&N pellets for your rifle. Can be tricky to find the magic pellet sometimes!

The closest place that I could think of is Baker Airguns. Lots of good feedback on them and they are relatively close to you.

I recommend the mighty HW30 or the venerable HW95. They are accurate, dependable and heirloom quality rifles. The HW30 is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Thanks for the link. I did do a search once for Airguns and besides the usual places like Walmart a place popped up to find me a date. So I figured there were no strictly airgun places in Ohio.

You will not be disapointed by a Royal Huntsman. If it is on your radar, go ahead and order one. You would have been better off with an HW95 or HW97 than your Gamos, but that is something we all learn.

When testing pellets in new rifles, I stick with H+N FTT, Crosman Premier, and JSB Exact light and heavy. Those are the ones that make the podium at most field target matches, and have been shown to work well in most rifles worth owning.
I figured as much but I always over analyze and take forever to decide. So I grabbed the Gamos to get started putting pellets down range. I wish I had kept better track but I believe I went through 2200+ in the last 55 days.

Oh I forgot to mention I have had my eye on a revere in 22 forever. I think Daystate rifle are my favorite.I have an old air wolf in 22 and it’s been the most accurate have consistently. I have a raw in 25 and it’s close.
I definitely like the traditional wood stocked rifles the best and will get one hopefully before next squirrel season. I also learned my lesson though after hunting last fall all day in the rain with a real nice CZ 457 American. I need to keep a plastic stocked rifle for those days. 😒

What pellets to try? Go to PyramidAir. They are in northern Ohio. Buy 3 get the 4th one free. Their packaging is the best. (DO NOT BUY PELLETS on AMAZON) H&N and JSB both sell pellet sample pkgs. They have a large pellet selection. H&N pellets have 4 pellet head sizes to choose from in their >177 Field Target Trophy line. 4.50/4.51/4.52 & 4.53. good luck