Introducing the FX Maverick

Hello FX Airguns,

Look great! Will this FX Maverick be for sale in Canada? Does it have a removable stock? If stock is easily removable the authorities will measure minimum length and will be classified into concealed weapon/hand gun class and will prevent sale in Canada.

Hi,

Unfortunately the Maverick will be prohibited in Canada because of the removable bullpup stock. 😥 

Got my compact .30 and started dressing her up for next summer of groundhog hunting. I must sling my guns as I use binoculars and trigger sticks when I hunt so I just added a quick disconnect swivel mount on the rear side butt panel. I used one for a M Loc application so I had to grind the backside flat, then drilled and tapped the two holes. The panel comes off with two screws so it was an easy off the gun procedure. I have a quick disconnect picatinny mount on the bottle band I ran on my crown. There is a problem mounting the sling swivel on the side with the fill probe. The fill probe sticks out too far and pokes you in the back when slung barrel up. But there is no problem with it slung barrel down. It would be better mounted on the right side as nothing sticks out there but I also mounted a 45 degree mount on the front side rail to run a red dot scope. I like this setup and did the same thing on my Leshiy 2 for those times when an opportunity pops up say within 30 yards and you have the scope on 12 power and the focus out at 100 yards. This one is the Sig Sauer but I prefer the Hallosun with the sleep mode and solar power. Got to get the bag rider and the power kit and I’ll be ready. Haven’t shot it yet so nothing to report there yet. 
0207B27F-866B-48CE-BC70-3AFC109EA24E.1608083495.jpeg
805A7ED9-EFC8-47F5-96FB-1D5E8C22B075.1608083521.jpeg
1CD42B60-306A-401B-BB1E-DAB0100DE5C0.1608083551.jpeg
EBC988E5-F26A-426B-A4D4-0AC4C5A02AF7.1608083588.jpeg

Leatherman,

You gussied her up quite nicely!!! Well done. Do you know which barrel twist rate configuration you received with your .30 compact? I heard the new .30 SSTX tightened the twist rate from the original .30 Any insight?

Patrick

I don’t know for sure. I thought I read all the Mavericks were shipping with the superior barrels which are good for heavy pellets and light weight slugs. That’s what I’ll be using since it is the 500mm barrel but I’ll be putting the power kit in it to see how much I can get the light weight slugs going and then maybe down the road I’ll get the 700mm superior heavy barrel in .22 and see if I can get 70 FPE like Matt. 

I don’t know for sure. I thought I read all the Mavericks were shipping with the superior barrels which are good for heavy pellets and light weight slugs. That’s what I’ll be using since it is the 500mm barrel but I’ll be putting the power kit in it to see how much I can get the light weight slugs going and then maybe down the road I’ll get the 700mm superior heavy barrel in .22 and see if I can get 70 FPE like Matt.

I found this for us to read. It say's what I had heard in passing. Not sure when you got yours. I really hope yours is the new one!!!

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-stx-superior-liner-twist-rate/#:~:text=The%20new%201%3A26%20twist,shortly%20at%20worldwide%20FX%20Dealers.

I have the 700mm .30 and have not measured the TR yet. It might be the new one. I fortunately have all 3 liners in 700mm .22 My Slug choice is the JSB KO in .22 for long distance Pdogs and the JSB Monster RD for 100yd target. I'm sure there is a wining combination in there somewhere. The 700mm .30 shooting JSB 44.75 and 50.15 out to 150yd is a no brainer for Pdogs. Have no experience with light weight slugs in .30

Another thing, it was a very difficult decision to pick the FX Maverick over the Edgun Leshy2 modified sniper version. It appeared that the videos that I seen of the Maverick on long distance accuracy far surpassed that of the Edgun. But, the overwhelming thing that stood out for me was the interview with FX founder/owner and his ear to what his customer's were looking for in an air rifle as opposed to Edgun owner, who seemed somewhat unconcerned and cavalier about the customer's feedback which was only taken into account at the tail end of their design process. I think anyone who is in business, should always have their customer's feedback be forefront in their concept and design of any new product.

Another thing, it was a very difficult decision to pick the FX Maverick over the Edgun Leshy2 modified sniper version. It appeared that the videos that I seen of the Maverick on long distance accuracy far surpassed that of the Edgun. But, the overwhelming thing that stood out for me was the interview with FX founder/owner and his ear to what his customer's were looking for in an air rifle as opposed to Edgun owner, who seemed somewhat unconcerned and cavalier about the customer's feedback which was only taken into account at the tail end of their design process. I think anyone who is in business, should always have their customer's feedback be forefront in their concept and design of any new product.

I have both. Why you might ask? Well I have the Crown continuum too which is my closest thing to a traditional style sporting rifle , no complaints as I find it very accurate and has been my legal small game hunting gun in PA. I have been wanting to try a .30 caliber rifle for groundhog hunting and was thinking a bull pup when the Leshiy 2 was announced. I got caught up in all the hype and jumped in on the first preorder. I ordered it in.30 caliber with the 450mm barrel and added an extra barrel in .22 x 350mm. It’s a really great gun but with a different trigger that makes you learn to use a consistent jerk to shoot it best which will never be competitive target gun at longer distances. That isn’t a concern with me as it was to be a light weight compact hunting gun not a target gun. So when the Maverick came out I thought hey this might be the bull pup for me and I got it in .30 compact. Out of the box it is liking the FX Hybrids but I actually shot a better group with my Leshiy 2 trying the Hybrid slugs in it at 40 yards. But I can’t do that consistently . I like both guns a lot and will probably use them for different purposes. I’m going to get the Maverick power kit when it comes out and get an extension adapter made for the shroud so I can run the 450 CF bottle from my crown. I expect the Maverick to then be the better .30 caliber for power and shot count and accuracy which will be nice for competition shooting and pesting at farms. The Leshiy will be my squirrel hunting gun in .22 and I’ll have to see how far I can shoot it for groundhogs in .30 caliber as we are still waiting for tuning information from the maker and the winter weather is keeping us from doing much experimenting. I haven’t decided if I will keep the Crown or not. Right now i am thinking it will be my back yard plinking and pesting gun as I can turn down the power wheel as I don’t need all the FPE at 40 yards I have to shoot in. They say there is no one gun that does everything but but these new guns lately with a few options come close to changing that. But what’s the fun in only having one gun!

Quick question do scratches digging into the carbon fiber bottles near the bottle shoulder areas due to owners simply unscrewing them normally compromise structural integrity resulting in shorter bottle life expectancy and not pass mandatory periodic visual inspection and potential user's safety?

It depends. I've scratched up two bottles already, but it was fairly superficial. The epoxy material is on there pretty thick, so I'm not real concerned. I put an even nastier scar on a 480cc bottle last year, dug real deep into the bottle (much deeper than what the Maverick shaved off). So like a soldier, I aired that thing up to about 280bar and let it sit in a drawer for almost a year lol, it seemed fine. 

Quick question do scratches digging into the carbon fiber bottles near the bottle shoulder areas due to owners simply unscrewing them normally compromise structural integrity resulting in shorter bottle life expectancy and not pass mandatory periodic visual inspection and potential user's safety?

It depends. I've scratched up two bottles already, but it was fairly superficial. The epoxy material is on there pretty thick, so I'm not real concerned. I put an even nastier scar on a 480cc bottle last year, dug real deep into the bottle (much deeper than what the Maverick shaved off). So like a soldier, I aired that thing up to about 280bar and let it sit in a drawer for almost a year lol, it seemed fine.

Mine has done the same thing. Really pisses me off this could have easily been avoided and corrected during design. I have tried to be extremely careful when removing and installing but it still happens. Structurally it's not hurting anything but you would think for the price of these guns this would not be an issue. Tapering or even shorting the pic rail a 1/4 inch would fix it. An easy fix just don't feel like cutting on a 2k gun

Like your setup, ordered the Sniper version and look to sling it like yours as I will be doing some stealthy groundhoggin as well. Can't wait for my to come in!

Keep in mind what I said about the fill port when deciding the side you put the rear swivel. If you don’t attach anything on the forward side picatinny rail I recommend attaching the swivel to the right side so the cocking lever is to your back when slug over your shoulder. 
CF4547C0-B6C4-491A-A459-1582674904DF.1610061276.jpeg