Introducing the FX Impact M3

Interested to hear more about this harmonic tuner. It looks just like a fancy silencer to me?

That was one of our design approaches to make it LOOK sleek and refined and not take away from the beauty of the FX styling and can be used with ANY suppressor. More to come on how to tune with it, but a lot of research went into it drawing parallels to how precision powder burner shooters reload their cartridges and tune for accuracy in PRS - ELR - F Class - and Benchrest.

At 50 yards I can make groups close down to hole and hole and continue to rotate the weight to make the groups open up and even change orientation and dispersion horizontally - vertically - and diagonally - and then back to one hole groups. Barrel harmonics in reality aren't like what we see in drawings of this clean wave up and down. During the tuning process you will see your barrel actually oscillates and moves up and down.

I think this piece hasn’t been discussed enough. I have been surprised that tuners haven’t been more common place coming over from 22lr and seeing the effects. In airgunning, we just swap moderators all over the place and assume it has no effect on consistency. Having used a tuner on a 22lr, and watching the groups change as you noted above, it is a final piece that can allow you to really dial in a rifle. 

I’ll take my CZ 455 as an example. The factory barrel was nice, but even with quality ammo, it was only 0.5” gun at 50 yards. Swapped in a Lilja barrel and groups dropped into 0.3s. Added a Harrell tuner, and groups dropped into 0.2s. I’m not taking cherry picked but 6x5 cards. That little bit extra is what the competitors need to make that last bit of difference.

I am glad to see this coming to airguns, and I’ll be curious to see how it does. As I’m not competing these days, I probably will pass on the extra expense, but I could see this being very helpful for those looking to tighten things up a bit for competitive reasons.

Agreed and was one of the first points of discovery I approached on how and why competition firearm shooters use them. The .22LR Benchrest and NRL22 crowd runs them as they don't have the lever of adjustments to control things with custom hand loading so they have to use them in a way. They can only buy a specific lot of ammo that they have found work best in their .22LR and run with it. What really intrigued me was why centerfire PRS - F Class - and ELR have really started taking off in recent years using them. I wondered why are these center fire shooters using them if they can so precisely hand load their ammo, control seating depth, and run insanely large barrel profiles like up to 1.25 inches OD in ELR. 

Well.... come to find out they have figured out that you CAN NOT make a barrel harmonically dead even though there are manufacturers out there that claim they can. You can stiffen the barrel system up to lower amplitude (whip), but at the same time you are increasing frequency which sometimes can make a harmonic accuracy tune even HARDER to find. They have found that controlling barrel harmonics with velocity alone with a combination of charge, primer, and seating depth can only get you so far.

So the new school of thought is it is a balance of stiffening and leaving a clean harmonic signature from which to directly control the barrel harmonics with a tuner. As atmospheric conditions change or if you add a new accessory to your platform that WILL change the harmonic signature, instead of going back to changing your load development (in our case hammer spring and regulator settings) why not just control the single variable you are trying to control. BARREL HARMONICS! I will be releasing a video interview soon with the 2020 National F-Class Champion who runs a barrel tuner on his .308 for this vary reason. SINGLE VARIABLE TESTING AND TUNING!

Someone just dipped the impact in hony and threw camo colored sprinkles at it 👀

I am still committed to the Maverick, but i sure do hope that the new moderator / crono combo will fit the Maverick too, and i will be able to get that in July when i get the gun.

The new Chronograph items will absolutely work with the Maverick. The cool thing about the Inline Chronograph Barrel that it will work with ANY 1/2" UNF threaded airgun. The Display reader will either mount to the back or the Impact, or to any picatinny accessory rail (like the ones on the side of the Maverick). So you're good.

For more info, just posted a full description of all the accessories that we're announced today: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-full-list-of-additional-fx-impact-m3-launch-accessories/

I just pulled the trigger on the 30 cal impack m3 at talon tunes what a great guy to deal with. I don't know how many he has but i know he had 2 -30 cals and alot of 30 cal pellets. just heads up for you guys.

But what about all those that will hate on us and say you'll have to wait until December to buy... 😁😂

Congrats on your new M3!!

Thanks Chris... I always wondered why my .30 FX Bobcat shot MUCH better with the heavy DonnyFL Ronin than any other moderator... This tends to give insight into that...

Yup. PJ Clark and I have done a TON of testing and discovery using every single DonnyFL can and we found that even .4 ounces of weight change can change your POI a TON. Those findings fell in line with what I had already found with the dampening and trying to barrel tune big bore airguns. 

IMG_2112.1618422309.PNG

If you have been following me the last few years you may recall seeing those rubber Limbsaver donuts on my barrel and this hideous shroud thing I had on my gun from the very beginning of my YouTube Chanel. That is actually where this idea started as I made that shroud out of ABS plastic tubing. The secret sauce is what was in side of that barrel shroud I had made. There were two rubber pull plugs on each end for dampening and then a collar weight on the barrel itself I would move up and down the barrel. What I found was barrel harmonic tuning was NOT a macro effort of sliding something up and down the barrel - it had to be very small adjustments. I could literally nudge the collar weight almost an imperceivable amount and it would change the shot groups. I think people who say those rubber donuts work have found that dampening does help, but to find WHERE it needs to go on the barrel is a total lucky guess. 

The research we put into this FX approach takes all of this R&D into one complete package to make all of this fully controllable and repeatable. 

I thought they would go to a 300bar fill , with the 2 Reg system.

The mag still looks like it would be in the way while shooting left handed (an old chestnut , I know.

Giles, in his video kind of suggested a 700mm barrel needed for slug shooting. 

580cc bottle an extra on the 600mm.

Barrel carbon liner sleeve, integrated harmonic barrel tuner, Dual transfer port, slug power kit, all extras that are suggested as improvements, (that's a lot of room for improvement).

I will be buying a gun come May, based on the first days viewing, I would place it (at best) third on my list. however still to see (real) prices (UK) that may change

I thought they would go to a 300bar fill , with the 2 Reg system.

The mag still looks like it would be in the way while shooting left handed (an old chestnut , I know.

Giles, in his video kind of suggested a 700mm barrel needed for slug shooting. 

580cc bottle an extra on the 600mm.

Barrel carbon liner sleeve, integrated harmonic barrel tuner, Dual transfer port, slug power kit, all extras that are suggested as improvements, (that's a lot of room for improvement).

I will be buying a gun come May, based on the first days viewing, I would place it (at best) third on my list. however still to see (real) prices (UK) that may change

The Impact M3 (and the Maverick as well) will go to 300 BAR now, in fact one of our new optional accessories is a 300 BAR Carbon Fiber Bottle

700mm certainly gives the best runway for heavy slugs, but lighter slugs and hybrids will do just fine out of shorter barrels as well. Different approach to tuning them though. High reg pressure, short burst of air is the key to good accuracy of slugs out of shorter barrels. Matt has a video a few weeks back that talks about this.

Dual Transfer port comes standard with the gun

slug power kit is an extra as if you put it in, you're no going to be able to shoot lower power stuff (think .22 lighter pellets and .177) thus why we don't put it in stock - as many people just want to shoot pellets, thus the name, slug power kit

Barrel sleeves and harmonic tuner are the fine sand paper some people want in their quest for the best accuracy possible, of course watch what people have done without those and it's exceptional, but why be okay with exceptional in the quest of extraordinary?!

Just though I'd help answer some of your questions!

All I can say is I got off work and saw this, I cannot wait to receive mine! Gonna pair great with my Mk II (a New Mk II was supposed to be a present for the wife butttt maybe ill just decorate the old compact put the new .25cal barrel kit and claim the M3 LOL) Saw on Facebook this gun should be called the Divorce hahahahahha, I am super excited. Going for the M3, and with that long list of accessories gonna be like a Christmas that doesn't stop... But in the summertime...