• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Introduce Yourself Sticky?

It seems like there should be an "Introduce Yourself" sticky as an icebreaker for the people that are new to the sport and don't know enough to make an intelligent contribution to any of the existing threads. Having said that, and by way of introduction, this is how I landed on the AN web page.

I live in a populated area of SoCal and our neighborhood is becoming over-populated with gophers. Our daughter had one pop up in her backyard and I took the opportunity to bring out my Winchester 1000x (made in China) and do a little backyard plinking. I haven't used it for many months and it took a couple of warm-up shots to get used to that horrible terrible trigger. She became concerned over the noise we were making so we ended the session after a dozen or so shots, but it left me longing for more.

So now I find myself looking down the rabbit hole of yet another hobby. Originally I thought of taking this to the backyard with a LDC-equipped rifle/carbine but the way things are in the world today I don't want to cause a fuss so I think moving indoors would be the better option for the time being. We have a long hallway that might work, and I've got my eye on the Notos/PPxxx/Bandit carbines...but I've always always always lusted for that powder-burning Luger that I could never afford and I almost bought one of the air-powered Lugers on an impulse...but I just can't make the leap to CO2...yet...because I don't know enough about CO2 power. My prejudice towards CO2 comes from when I was a kid and couldn't afford the CO2 powerlets on my lunch money.

I have several BB guns and a few Daisy 760/66 pellet guns, given as prizes for early entrance to the Shooting Sports Fairs that they had in the area decades ago. [Just now noticed that the Daisy 66 is a much heavier barrel than the 760]. Besides the Chinese Winchester, notably, I have a Benjamin pump pistol in .22cal (similar in appearance to the 132 or 137) that I bought in the early 70s...I just need to find it :) And I think I still have my old Daisy Model 25 pump that I had as a kid, but I haven't seen that one in many years. As a kid, I used to smuggle that one out of the house, broken down, in a paper bag...I keep thinking it's probably in a paper bag in some forgotten corner of a closet. I know it didn't get stolen or thrown away, so it's around here someplace.

I haven't spent any money yet, but it's a good thing that Notos is out of stock!

Reactions: bdzjlz
I would probably never look at a sticky ? Welcome to the best AGN
Gophers / ground squirrels are ok to shoot , but i would be more concerned about local shooting laws and the neighbors , better check before you shoot again .
P.S. use a heavy pellet in the Winchester , maybe 10 grains or more . That will slow the shot down and make less noise .

Gophers / ground squirrels are ok to shoot , but i would be more concerned about local shooting laws and the neighbors , better check before you shoot again .
Always a good idea! I'm not about to go roaming around the yard with anything that even comes close to looking like a weapon, nossir! I'm a long time resident on good terms with my neighbors and I want to keep it that way...that's why I want to try to keep this hobby quiet and keep it indoors if I can. I have no intention of creating more stress for the people that live around me. I've had pretty good luck with other methods of gopher control, and I think the heavy rains have helped quite a bit. That improntu session was a one-of and a rare opportunity to enjoy the sport with my 19yo grandson, but I won't be repeating it.

I found my Bejamin Franklin pump pistol...it's a Model 132. It still had air in it, but it needs a rebuild. I used to shoot darts at a dart board indoors with it many years ago.

Reactions: beerthief
P.S. use a heavy pellet in the Winchester , maybe 10 grains or more . That will slow the shot down and make less noise .
I really dislike the trigger on it...it's accurate enough for my skill level, but it takes a concious effort not to pull the gun off-target while squeezing the trigger. It's just not a good rifle for a one and done style of shooting..

Welcome, Eddie. You'll find a lot of good info here.

One of the advantages of where you live is the availabilty of stuff you're interested in. It's nice to be able to drive (or ride) to get what you want. Mac-1 is probably near by. You should go see Tim. He knows his stuff. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mac-1-airgun-distributors-signal-hill

Cheers,

J~

Reactions: FastEddie
It seems like there should be an "Introduce Yourself" sticky as an icebreaker for the people that are new to the sport and don't know enough to make an intelligent contribution to any of the existing threads. Having said that, and by way of introduction, this is how I landed on the AN web page.

I live in a populated area of SoCal and our neighborhood is becoming over-populated with gophers. Our daughter had one pop up in her backyard and I took the opportunity to bring out my Winchester 1000x (made in China) and do a little backyard plinking. I haven't used it for many months and it took a couple of warm-up shots to get used to that horrible terrible trigger. She became concerned over the noise we were making so we ended the session after a dozen or so shots, but it left me longing for more.

So now I find myself looking down the rabbit hole of yet another hobby. Originally I thought of taking this to the backyard with a LDC-equipped rifle/carbine but the way things are in the world today I don't want to cause a fuss so I think moving indoors would be the better option for the time being. We have a long hallway that might work, and I've got my eye on the Notos/PPxxx/Bandit carbines...but I've always always always lusted for that powder-burning Luger that I could never afford and I almost bought one of the air-powered Lugers on an impulse...but I just can't make the leap to CO2...yet...because I don't know enough about CO2 power. My prejudice towards CO2 comes from when I was a kid and couldn't afford the CO2 powerlets on my lunch money.

I have several BB guns and a few Daisy 760/66 pellet guns, given as prizes for early entrance to the Shooting Sports Fairs that they had in the area decades ago. [Just now noticed that the Daisy 66 is a much heavier barrel than the 760]. Besides the Chinese Winchester, notably, I have a Benjamin pump pistol in .22cal (similar in appearance to the 132 or 137) that I bought in the early 70s...I just need to find it :) And I think I still have my old Daisy Model 25 pump that I had as a kid, but I haven't seen that one in many years. As a kid, I used to smuggle that one out of the house, broken down, in a paper bag...I keep thinking it's probably in a paper bag in some forgotten corner of a closet. I know it didn't get stolen or thrown away, so it's around here someplace.

I haven't spent any money yet, but it's a good thing that Notos is out of stock!
Hi everyone, Haven't been into airguns over the past few years, but getting back in again. I am from back in the Yellow forum days and have also been a member here since 2015. Just haven't been active. Looking forward to getting back into this amazing sport and group of people.

Hi everyone, Haven't been into airguns over the past few years, but getting back in again. I am from back in the Yellow forum days and have also been a member here since 2015. Just haven't been active. Looking forward to getting back into this amazing sport and group of people.
Welcome back

Reactions: Muckypup22
The Benjamin doesn't pump. I embarrassed to say how long it has been idle in a secure location...I moved up to powder burners and totally ignored the air guns that got me there. I left it with a single pump in it and it hadn't leaked despite the passing years. I ordered some neatsfoot oil last night. I was debating whether to take the pump out to oil it, but I think I'll put a couple of drops on the leather piston and the felt washer and see what that does.

Also, I am driven by quietness these days and I've been placing priority on the sound level that these air guns put out. Originally I was looking for a rifle with an integrated shroud and moderator that could not be easily removed because of the powder burners being present, but then I thought of moving the target shooting indoors or maybe a hybrid of being indoors while the target is outside...but I still want a moderated air gun so as not to disturb my neighbors.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming, please. I'll do my due diligence and explore all of them, but again, I want something quiet. I have a Voron Trident 3D printer that I assembled last year and I've seen what I think is a printed extended moderator on the Notos that quiets it down even more, so I'm intrigued by that possibility. I love to tinker!

The Benjamin doesn't pump. I embarrassed to say how long it has been idle in a secure location...I moved up to powder burners and totally ignored the air guns that got me there. I left it with a single pump in it and it hadn't leaked despite the passing years. I ordered some neatsfoot oil last night. I was debating whether to take the pump out to oil it, but I think I'll put a couple of drops on the leather piston and the felt washer and see what that does.

Also, I am driven by quietness these days and I've been placing priority on the sound level that these air guns put out. Originally I was looking for a rifle with an integrated shroud and moderator that could not be easily removed because of the powder burners being present, but then I thought of moving the target shooting indoors or maybe a hybrid of being indoors while the target is outside...but I still want a moderated air gun so as not to disturb my neighbors.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming, please. I'll do my due diligence and explore all of them, but again, I want something quiet. I have a Voron Trident 3D printer that I assembled last year and I've seen what I think is a printed extended moderator on the Notos that quiets it down even more, so I'm intrigued by that possibility. I love to tinker!
indoor outdoor ! that reminded of a life long friend lives in a suburb of Chicago .
Shoots from his kitchen table out through the back door across the yard into the garage window, across the garage into the target for a total of 73 feet . no shot noise and no target noise . Been doing that for years . WE grew up together since the 4th grade .

Welcome back to AGN! Springtime is good weather for shooting. Get some soup cans, para cord and pellets and give them some What For.

indoor outdoor ! that reminded of a life long friend lives in a suburb of Chicago .
Shoots from his kitchen table out through the back door across the yard into the garage window, across the garage into the target for a total of 73 feet . no shot noise and no target noise . Been doing that for years . WE grew up together since the 4th grade .
My main concern about shooting through the sliding glass door is the flies! If I let any flies in the house, there is going to be he!! to pay with the wife. I can probably get close to 10m shooting down the hallway.

Reactions: beerthief
Welcome to AGN! Check out the P17. Best bang for your buck pistol you can shoot indoor / outdoor. Also check out the new Benjamin pumpers. They are pretty impressive and very quiet.
Ok, I made the leap! It should be here by the end of the week. Seems like a great pistol for the $.

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: maxtrouble
Ok, I made the leap! It should be here by the end of the week. Seems like a great pistol for the $.

Thanks for your input!
The P17 is a copy of the HW40A. The trigger is a little mushy out of the box but for the money it is an awesome pistol. Sights are fiber and adjustable. It likes 7 grain pellets the most. Enough energy to smack soup cans or punch paper. Everyone should have a P17!

Reactions: FastEddie