• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Introduce Myself

Forest Gump Waving.1613442283.gif

I'm new to this mess too. Went full potato and bought a Texan in .45. It meets the requirements for Texas airgun hunting and seems to get good reviews. Since I was on a potato roll, I double dipped into an Avenger in 25. It wasn't as painful as the other and since I had a compressor, why not.

Momma always said Stupid is, as stupid does, but LostWife gave approval, and I hope I get good service from these two. The 25 has already been put through the paces and the 45 has performed well. Never thought I'd go pcp, but here I R. Still love my Benjamin break barrel though.

Thank all of you for the welcome. I am in Huntley Illinois and have applied for my FOID card but hearing it will take a while to get it so thought I would get an education on air guns while I wait. Lol You are right this seams like a good place to learn again Thanks for the welcome. I am sure that I will have a lot of questions as time goes on but will read as much as I can. If anyone is from the area would like to know where you get your guns and also where you shoot.

Thanks Again,

John

Hi Blue,welcome to AGN. I live in Ohio so as far as shopping for airgun items. I try Pyramid Air and Bakers Airguns,they're in Ohio. Airguns of Arizona carries some items that the other don't but I won't order pellets from there because pellets are fragile and I don't like the idea of having them shipped from that far away and Pyramid Air packs they're pellets very,very well. What type of air rifle do u have or r considering?

HoeyU,

I don't know what I am looking for at this time. I am doing a lot of reading and watching videos just to get an idea. I am like everyone else trying to get the best bang for the buck but don't want to go crazy. I am looking at a few like the AV Avenger to start just because of all the features but also like the Benj. Marauder but if I was going to dream big the FX Maverick looks good but like to see more history on it. I should have plenty of time to research because getting my FOID card is going to take a while. So will spend time on reviews and feedback from other people before I buy.

Thanks,

John 

The ones you mention are called PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) air rifles. They require a method of filling them with very highly compressed air.( 3000 to 4000 psi) Your standard compressors for your garage or work shop usually operate at between 80 and 115 psi. There are hand pumps which look like bicycle pumps but are very much more robust and costs more than a bicycle pump and involves alot of effort to fill a pcp.It is the cheapest way to go. There is also the high compression compressor. These can be very expensive.$600 plus. There is an electric chinese pump,the Yong Hen?, that goes for around $250 and may or may not still be gotten from walmart with a warranty,A warranty is wise for a Yong Hen. If you search it here you will find some good info on compressors. And then there's the Scuba like tanks.And those get very expensive too. As much as a quality spring powered break barrel or under-lever springer air rifle. I have a Yong Hen compressor and fill my rifles directly from it. I haven't gotten an air tank yet so I'm limited to my near vicinity and 120 electric outlet and a bucket of water to keep the compressor cool ( if I'm shooting alot,more than 2 dozen shots ). If I were hunting then I would just fill the rifle and go. I would never encounter a situation while hunting where I would take so many shots as to need to refill the gun. If I were so lucky to be in such a target rich situation then I would need a scuba like tank to have with me. The smaller ones are called buddy bottles. If you have a ? hit AirGunNation up. There's lots of members eager to help.

Hi Everyone,

I am really liking the Maverick but have a question. If you get with an additional tank do you fill it up by taking it off the gun and putting on the second one to fill? Can this be filled with a hand pump? Again new to this so bear with me if the questions sound simple.

Thanks,

John

Hi John and welcome, good place to be.

Just one recommendation, if you decided on a gun like Maveric I will get it from someone like SPAW https://spaweapons.com/ who can check and set up everything for you, they can be hit or miss straight from the box and you will go mad if something is wrong. Or go with something different, don't get me wrong I own Maveric and it's a sweet gun but for newbie can be little complicated.

To answer your question about filling with air, most if not all guns today are filled by connecting hand pump, tank or compressor directly to the gun without removing cylinder/bottle. On other side with bottle guns you can have spare bottle (same as on the gun) and replace it when needed.

Hope this helps.

B