• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Intro! first post, any opinions/advice welcome

Just joined, was pointed this way a member in the American Air Gunners facebook page as a good place to buy/sell air rifles, seeing as craigslist and facebook buy sell pages have given the axe to selling any kind of fire arm or pellet gun.
Anyways, figured my first post shouldn't be "buy my stuff".
My name is Daniel Burgess, 31 years old, living on the Oregon coast with my wife and two kids. Been a life long firearm shooter, but it was just last year that a friend of mine introduced me to the modern world of air guns with his Sam Yang 50 cal. I was inspired and dove headlong into air gunning. My first air guns are both Benjamins, the Marauder pistol in .22 and the Bulldog in .357, I do all my filling with a handpump.
Both have been great guns, but I have now had the chance to shoot them a bit, and learn a lot more about air guns, but more importantly learn more about my own peculiarities. 

I really dig air guns for one or all of several reasons: little to no recoil, quiet, self sufficient, versatile, fun to shoot. I want to like springers and air rammers, but the smoothness of pcp's, typically lighter weight, many more compact options and muti-shot capabilities have won me over to the PCP team, but the self sufficient, survivalist dreamer, part of me really likes the idea of springers and the like for having everything you need when you pick up the gun. 
What I have found myself continually being drawn to is wanting easy carry, trail guns. Fun for target shooting, but practical to potentially take small game, grouse, quail, etc.
This means, short, light, accurate, and if I can get it: super quiet. 

I am going to be adding the Chiappa FAS 6004 to the collection (I know, more of a target gun than anything, but the single stroke pneumatic has won me over as a fully self contained unit, and its got lovely lines) and eyeballing the Evanix Rex P in .357 (the power, in such a compact package is alluring).
I keep drooling over the FX Indy (it greatly appeals to my self sufficient side, but the price tag has kept me in check so far, as well as it being 8lbs to pack) It is more likely if I drop some dollars on a gun its going to be the Ataman AP16, so far its only draw back that I can see is it is louder.

I keep searching for a self contained unit, single stroke or such that is hunting worthy, but it seems to not exist, and I believe I have come to the realization that its not a new gun that I want, but a better hand pump, unless FX comes out with an over under version of the Indy (top barrel in .22 and bottom is an arrow barrel).
What I would really like to see show up in the airgun world is a compact, light, backpack worthy hand pump that you can use standing up/ walking with your gun in a holster or on a sling. There are how many thousands of airguns, but only one style of hand pump really. I know, most people just have a tank, which is great, but for those of us that value total independence, hand pumps win out, especially with the smaller calibers (those big bores do take some pushing to get pumped all the way up).

Anyways, that's me in some words, Thanks for having me, and i'll be nosing around here.

-Dan

Reactions: Michael
Makoda, I did not know of the Nova Freedom, there are so many air rifles out there it seems hard to learn of all of them. One of the reason I went ahead and joined the form, ask questions, people know things I don't, it's great!
My knee jerk reaction to so much for so little, is similar to what I had when I was considering the Kral Puncher Breaker, a lot of gun for very little, and it turns out there are short cuts made to cut cost and people start having broken rifles. In the Punchers case it was mainly the valve stem being made of weak metal. replacable, fixable, or buy one through anniahlator guns and for an extra $100 and he has it tuned up and ready to go and it seems to be a real solid gun for the money after that (I bought the p-rod over the puncher, length and weight, were the winning factors). Maybe similar with the Nova, I'm cool with cheap stocks and such to cut cost, but a gun like this is more complex, simply because you are buying a pump, and a rifle, and if they are able to sell it for under $400 that is a red flag to me (or they are really about bringing a new gun to the market and want to get it into peoples hands), would have to wait a while and see what others experience.

The length and weight (more the length) is a put off for me, I am very much a bullpup and pistol guy. I like having guns that are easy to carry and not cumbersome in any way. That is totally my own quirk. I'm difficult...

Thanks for sharing it, I am excited to learn about it more, definitely bookmarking it.

Harmless - welcome and as for the Chiappa FAS 6004, I've looked at it over and over again wondering if I should get one. I have a Crosman 1701P target pistol, but it's heavy, and I've wondered if the Chiappa was that much better. If you would, please keep me posted on your experience.

As for hand pumps, that's a crap shoot. The pumps out there are good, but hard to use above 2500 PSI (at least in my experience). The Crosman / Benjamin guns like the Maximus and Discovery are only 2000 PSI fills, and work well with hand pumps, and are relatively cheap.

While not portable, the cheap Chinese compressors might be worth a look. The latest prices on eBay for units already in the US is hovering around $225 for an electric, 4500 PSI compressor. That plus a small bottle could be a good setup.

My first airguns were also Crosman / Benjamins with the Marauder being my first PCP.

Also, as you are new, be aware that vendors like Crosman give discounts if you use codes on the banner above. Pyramyd Air is 10% discount with the NATION18 Code and Crosman is 25% with the AGNATION code. just a thought if you want to save a couple bucks along the way.

Lots of good folks here with lots of good experience. Welcome aboard.

Will do Saltlake, I decided on the Chiappa over the Air Venturie V10 ( the v10 is about $100 less), because of the excellent ambidextrous grips (v10 is only offered in left or right handed grips). Doesn't hurt that the Chiappa is the next level of quality/materials. but if the V10 had ambi grips I may have gone for it, but the over all design of the FAS 6004 really drew me in as well. I'm a designer and metal sculptor, so good form with function is a factor for me when it comes to guns especially.

Not to say i choose form over function, but i do like it when they meet, and in a package that doesn't break the bank... i feel like i may get myself in touble soon though, got a few guns i really want, haha. No matter what they all cost ya

Harmless - I am the consummate cheapskate, price usually plays a huge role in my decisions. I finally, through bitter life lessons, have determined that when you want the best, it'll cost and you might as well accept that, pay the money and get it over with. Therefore, I decided to bite the bullet, save my pennies for 2 years and get the Impact, and so far, it's been well worth it!

Yes, this hobby will get you in trouble, but it's sooooo worth it!

By the way, any of your metal sculptures / work on the Internet anywhere? Amazing the different skills represented on the boards here.

I bought a hill mk4 for a pump. It's humid here so the moisture trap sold me. Where the pump shines is smaller cylinder guns. I can get 16 full power shots out of my leshiy and still pump it back to 280 bar in around 3-4 minutes. And as for guns with a larger tank... boy that needle moves slow. It calls for a break. On the pump and on me. I like the independence you talked about with the pump... but I may get a small fill tank for my other guns and for outings. I can fill them in my spare time. 
my 2 cents on a pump.

thanks Shady, I own the mk4 hill as well. I live on the Oregon coast, so the moisture trap was a selling point for me too. However, some news on the backpackable pump, I touched base with the guy that has been making that freedom 700 ssp single stroke air rifle, and he expressed interest in building a light weight back pack pump, who knows what will happen. On a more immediate front, I asked FX if they would sell the indy pump separately and the answer was yes, still in the works on price an such, which I expect to not be too exciting, but it is something I will be working into and testing.

Coyote, I have been long looking at the FX Indy, great gun from what I see, accurate. It was close to being my first pcp (opted for two guns instead of one)
Still have it on my wish list. 

If the endeavors I have in the works for a compact, light weight, hand pump come through that may change to the Verminator MKII, it has a lot of draw for me with the interchangeable arrow barrel, but it does cost even more than the Indy.

Welcome on board Harmless. Based on your wants/needs I would say that something like the Leshiy paired with a good hand pump would suit you well. 

Even a small CF tank would be very portable. The problem would then be filling said tank. Personally I would steer you away from cheap Chinese made alternatives. A good booster like the Altaros or the Shoebox would fill a small CF tank without much problem. 

There will always be compromises to be made, as there is no perfect solution right now. 

For self contained, light weight, accurate, reliable gun, you could consider a Springer like the HW30 Urban or the HW50 Hunter. This may fill the void until you figure out what you really want. 

I highly recommend the search option up above. Most of my questions are usually already been asked. 

Good luck. 

Harmless
Hand pumps - I have a hand pump and do use it to pump up my pistol. 30 strokes gives me around 60 shots. That gets me to about 2700 or 2800 PSI. I'm 180 and in lousy shape. Even for that little air cylinder, I'm tired when I'm done. From 2000 PSI to 2800 is a real bear. I literally have to let the stomach push down with body weight. No, I'm not a fan of pumps for rifles. The Indy is a bit different, I'll get to that in a minute.

I use a bottle filled at the local paintball shop to fill my Marauder and Impact. I can't imagine filling a 430 CC bottle with a hand pump. That would be something like 400 strokes and the Impact wants a 3600 PSI fill. Not going to happen with a hand pump. Even the Marauder with a much smaller tank takes 3 strokes per shot, so 30 shots is between 90 and 100 strokes.

Indy is a bit different as I understand it. It only has a tank large enough for something like 3 or 4 shots and you have to pump again (please validate, I don't own an Indy, just what I've read.) If you are happy pumping 2 or three times per shot, and probably 10 pumps before starting over, it might be the right gun for you.

Also look at the length of the Indy and Independence. If they will fit you walking and hiking, great, but make sure they will fit.

As for other PCP's that like hand pumps, you might look at (now don't laugh) Maximus. It has a 2000 PSI fill and at that fill level is relatively easy to pump. It's accurate, still delivers the goods in .22 and gets really good reviews except for the trigger. It's heavy. Oh, and it's CHEAP. Use the code AGNATION on the Crosman.com site, $165 and free shipping on Fridays. It's so cheap that if you don't like it, you can just let it sit and not feel that bad after you buy your dream gun!

Another option though not cheap, might be to buy a bottle gun like the Impact where the tank is removable and just get a second tank for the woods. Each tank will give around 90 or shots per fill.

I tried hand pumping and it just isn't for me (but I'm old and my shape is more round than anything else). You might want to consider something with a lower fill pressure that still does the job. Life gets easier at lower pressure.

You make a great point Saltlake, about the rigors of hand pumps. As of the moment I am 32 and 220lbs (seems to be adding to both numbers as the years go, lol) So, hand pumping is of no issue, yet. Were an injury to occur, or the inevitable wearing out process gets me, it may be another matter.

Pumping up the Bulldog .357 does get a little tiresome though. I wonder how much effort in hand pumping is soley from cylinder volume, not operating pressure? My maruder pistol is 65 cc where as the Bulldog is 340 cc. Both operate at the 3000psi mark, but the marauder pistol is much easier to fill. Granted a .357 caliber gun would probably only get a couple shots?

The Evanix Rex P has a cylinder of 91 cc and is rated for 5 shots per fill, not sure how bad the drop off is on that final shot though.