• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Interesting read

I came across this article on scopes that others may find enjoyable. According to the poster there are very few factories building scopes, they just rebrand them.

I came across this article on scopes that others may find enjoyable. According to the poster there are very few factories building scopes, they just rebrand them.

This is true. The Element Optics founders took this tidbit of information and put a great bit of design effort into getting a near perfect airgun and powder burner line of scopes built at one of these high-end scope factory's. Just five years ago there were very few scopes that "checked off" as many boxes as many scopes do today; all because they are all made in very few factories and share the same technologies.

Some of the Arken loving folks will probably respond to this in short order. That said, the article makes sense with what I’ve seen in the market.

-Marty

This is true. The Element Optics founders took this tidbit of information and put a great bit of design effort into getting a near perfect airgun and powder burner line of scopes built at one of these high-end scope factory's. Just five years ago there were very few scopes that "checked off" as many boxes as many scopes do today; all because they are all made in very few factories and share the same technologies.
Yea, even Athlon has an Airgun focused scope now such as the Heras. All thanks to guys like Element, Hawke and a few others.

-Marty

I'm thinking the brands not mentioned by the writer well he couldn't possibly be familiar with all the different models. I knew a ret Judge who had a Ziess bino which he bought second hand, they developed a problem and Zeiss charged him over 400 bucks to repair them. They weren't abused by no means, you'd think they would cover the repair themselves.

Element scopes never tripped my trigger. They were designed and marketed by FX airguns and use the huge following of FX to help sell optics. They have been successful at this.

I agree the article is interesting. The author seems to have a problem with Cyclops (youtube reviewer) who doesn't care for Vortex and loves Arken. I do not know who is right, I own no scopes of either brand. I like it that he trashes UTG which is my least favorite brand. My Athlon is a Talos which is too cheap for him but works fine for me. I have a couple PA scopes I like but they are probably below his price point too. I think that a lot of product, rifles, scope, cars, etc. is sold off reputation rather than hard objective evidence. Absent some numbers to back up his ranking, I have to believe there is some of that in the article. Like the very favorable comments about German scopes. But I think the author knows more about scopes than I do so his comments are interesting.

Some of the Arken loving folks will probably respond to this in short order. That said, the article makes sense with what I’ve seen in the market.

-Marty
Sure I'll jump in, I've got both Arken the latest and 'greatest' and one level down, and 3 or so Elements (1, Nexus, and 2 Titans) and a bunch of UTG 2nd FP on my PewPew's (all close range). My big thing is, the turrets on the Arken are easy for old arthritic hands to use, luckily the eye's still function or...I'd be screwed. I think the eye box on the Arken 's are a touch easer than the Elements and I do prefer the fine lines reticle of the Arken for paper punching, IF I was out having to take quick shots...MMV on that one. I'd use the Elements, no I wouldn't they are too heavy. I haven't seen any real lens issues with either of the Arkens or the Elements in either bright light or late evening, at least nothing that noticeable. More experienced people may but I done a wee bit of photography so who knows. Personally I'm done with buying scopes. I'm going to sell off a few as soon as I make sure I'm not going to use them. As a note I put the latest Arken, Japanese glass and 30mm tube on my Sapsan, fits well and doesn't weight a ton. But now to see how it actually works, if it would stop raining for a day. Oh just remembered a ding on Arkin, I ordered the 30mm scope and medium rings, I've got 34mm rings and the wrong lens covers...bummer, at least the T-shirt is the right size. They have yet to send the proper stuff.

I just ordered the famous Bug- Buster scope that is highly rated here :oops: I'm not looking to snipe at hundreds of yards with my little multi-pump sooooo:unsure: plus so many here give it a👍 I'll try it out and see how it works out:rolleyes:
WHAT!!! You aren't doing the 200 yard Neco challenge? I have a Bug Buster on my Remington Nitro, rated for springers, my Nitro is BRUTAL, I destroyed two lesser scopes almost instantly, including the one they gave me with it. You should be fine with it.