Interesting JSB/FX 10.34

Pulled this out of a tin of FX branded 10.34s a bit ago, while shooting.

deformed pellet1.jpg

Got back in the gunroom and decided to weigh that little misfit. 10.2grains. hmmmmm. Thought to myself that the only way for a bulged out pellet to weigh less than it should is if there's a void in there.

Razored that thing in half......
deformed pellet.jpg

Yep. VOID.

So now I'm sitting here thinking how often are there voids in the heads of pellets that aren't creating a bulge but are still resulting in an unbalanced pellet. I might need to slice some .22 MRDs in half to investigate, lol.

Pulled this out of a tin of FX branded 10.34s a bit ago, while shooting.

View attachment 269000
Got back in the gunroom and decided to weigh that little misfit. 10.2grains. hmmmmm. Thought to myself that the only way for a bulged out pellet to weigh less than it should is if there's a void in there.

Razored that thing in half......
View attachment 269001
Yep. VOID.

So now I'm sitting here thinking how often are there voids in the heads of pellets that aren't creating a bulge but are still resulting in an unbalanced pellet. I might need to slice some .22 MRDs in half to investigate, lol.
:oops: :oops:

Might indeed explain the really WILD fliers I now get with the new .22 MRDs. Lots of volume in them that could hide voids.

The air trapped in it must of been under a heck of a lot of pressure when in the die!
Best way to check if the theory is valid is to shoot a few into ballistic gel, retrieve the fliers and cut them open as Frank did.

-Marty

Don’t know if it was something like this or not. Was shooting my revere today and shot thru a 5/8” hole in a target at 55 yds 10-12 times in a row opened another tin of pellets and could just barely hit the squirrel target. Brought it home opened another tin and all is well. Jsb needs to do something this is getting verry expensive throwing out tins of pellets cause they won’t shoot

Reactions: BSJ
Defiantly send at least pictures to JSB , i am sure they would be interested , and you might receive some replacement pellets for your trouble ?

I once found a machine screw in a bottle of catsup , sent the bottle in and received a letter thanking me . a week later i got a case of the product delivered . (what does one do with a case ,48 bottles of catsup ??? )

Franklink,

thanks for taking the time to share this — weird! 👍🏼
Hope JSB gets their pellet ducks in a row soon.... 🙄

Us airgunnners buying pellets like our sanity depended on it have not done anything to encourage JSB to straightening out their QC, of course.... 🤷‍♂️

Well, during corona our sanity often depended on sending lead down the range.
So, I plead "not guilty" for pellet pimples.

Matthias

Reactions: beerthief