Interesting blog entry on pellets

Percula

Sep 6, 2016
AZ
On the AoA blog (https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/)

One of the notes is the rebranding of pellets. I know from own experience that this is true. For example the best pellet in my RAW BM500x 30cal is the FX Boss 46gr, which are manufactured by JSB and if you get to weighing them you'll note that they should be called 44gr as most are closer to 44gr than 46gr. But if I shoot JSB 44gr vs FX Boss "46gr" the FX pellet out performs the JSB branded pellets all day long. The guess is that the FX Boss pellets have their own dies or production runs or just better QA or some combination of those. I can tell you the price difference between the FX Boss 46gr and JSB 44gr should be enough to say something is different, but I get more usable pellets per tin of FX Boss than I do JSB 44gr, so the price difference is misleading... if I have to buy 2 or 3 tins of JSB 44gr to get the same number of usable pellets as 1 FX Boss tin, I'm ahead of the game.

Amen on that. Just from my own gun closet, my .22 Vulcan is much more consistent with Air Arms 18 grain, and my FX Verminator Extreme in .22, eats up JSB 18 grains.
If I mix two tins together, I'd be able to see the difference within the mix by looking at the groups punched into paper- and not just at 50 yards. At 20 yards, there is an appreciable difference.
This critical difference is hard to get new shooters to understand- they'll stop at a standard pellet offering from Wally-world and think,"this is the best this airgun can do"... then they'll tell me that their rifle is inaccurate or inconsistent.