Interested in a springer and would like some advice

Hello folks,
My name is Joe and I just recently joined.
I live in Long Island N.Y.
I have had guns my whole life starting with airguns (I am 60)
What I like about airguns is the wide range of calibers available.
I like the fact I can choose from great English,German,Swedish,turkish,Russian. Mfg., and know I am getting great quality.
I liked the fact those guns don't come in a container from China.
I can see mE with a collection soon.
I. Want to start i with a springer
Questions are:
1) is a Weihrach 97 the same as a Beeman hw 97 the same?
2) not sure of caliber I want to punch paper from afar thinking of 20 cal but don't have as many pellet options
does the gun have too much power fo 20 cal?
3) does the gun have enough power for a 25 cal?
4)can I shoot 50 yds 100,yrs
5) is 22 the best for me with light pest control and plinking
6) what is the smartest optic that has quality and is sensible for that gun with range
thank you folks and wish you all a great spring
joe

Hi Joe , welcome aboard !!! Yes they are the same gun , my personal opinion only is 22 will do most anything you could want out of an accurate springer but 177 has its virtues also . Probably just a matter of what you see yourself doing .
A lot of guys really push the 177 but to me it's kinda a wash . Ones faster everything else being equal , the other offers better knockdown power and a little more wind resistance.
50 yards yes it can do that ...100 yards id say it would depend on what you wanted to do . Shoot cans or shoot critters . The 20 caliber has some very strong fans ! I've had two and the smaller selection of pellets doesn't really bother me because the ones that are available are almost all very high quality. If you weed out the super light fad pellets , and the super heavy , and just plain cheap ones it will narrow down 177+22 very fast .
Scope wise I have 3 I really like , SWFA SS , NIKONrimfire efr 3-9, and the Bushnell AR line .

Thanks Joe for your response.
I need to get my act together .
I live in Long Island N.Y. And it is a state is anti guns.
I have shot enough in my 50 years of shooting and have no problem using air as opposed to powder.
I am thinning my herd of guns and adding air guns
I love quality fire arms so I would love to add some pcp guns.
If I am able to shoot 100 yds it would only be paper.
I think maybe 100 yds with a hw 97 may be too much.
Not for a future pcp.
Im dying to get my hands on a day state ,and a fx .
I need to ground my self and (just like my reg guns), that one guns does not do all the things I want to do.
I need to get set up with air tank ect and thought the hw 97 was a good start.
I liked your Input on pellets
How do you like your 20?
.thanks once again
joe

I sold my 20 and literally JUST bought the FWB 300 mini listed on American Airguns Classifieds :) been wanting one for quite a while . It's a slow shooting laser of a gun . When you get ready to get into PCPs give me a holler . I've been thru a few of those ! And don't listen to all the knocks you read on forums . Michael told me one time only like 15% of people on forums actually post anything and I think he's right . Most of the opinions are usually very positive or very negative. Each brand has their following and with good reason . They all have something to offer

Hey Joe if you are considering getting into PCP`s in the near future, maybe investing $600 in a springer isn't the best starting point. Add some decent glass to that HW 97 and you have $900 to $1000 invested. The HW 97 is a great airgun, but there are many others that can get you into airguns and let you save a few dollars toward your PCP purchase. This hobby can get out of hand very rapidly, I know from first hand experiance lol

Thanks Joe,
For me,I have never sold a gun I owned.
I am 60 so in 47 years I have 42 ranging from 45-70 to 22's
I may now start to sell some because in N.Y. Guns are not welcomed .
If I decide on a 20 it will end up in my nephews hands!
I have no kids and have 2 great nephews and have always bought guns with them in mind
good luck on the fwb300 it is beautiful
I belonged to a rifle team in high school(15 Kids on a Friday nite with no guns at a school never a problem)
So I get hot over a fine target gun.
How is it getting parts and seals for your gun?
I saw a side lever anschutz for sale 
To me owning a anschutz is like owning a rolls royce
It is old and I wonder if getting parts is impossible?

If I were you and I could afford it I would start at the top with a Rapid Air Weapons HM100x PCP. Probably the best value in airguns, even though its $2K. This is the only rifle I would consider a .25 over a .22. 
As far as the 97 goes, it's a springer, with all the complications springers can bring. I would go with .177 or .22. To me, .20 is the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm pretty new to the airgun arena myself (4 years). Archery is my passion but rimfire and centerfires too.

I started with a PCP (Air Arms) 4 years ago now. Added two Daystates in December/January - PCPs. Two are .22 and one is .25. I bought an AA ProSport springer about 30 days ago (.22). I have to say I shoot it more than the PCPs it is just so fun and I don't have to watch the air supply dwindle and require a trip to the dive shop. I bought a 100 CF carbon tank 4500PSI this winter as well which is the only way to go - I'll be selling the scuba tank back to the dive shop next trip over. 

Now that I have the ProSport I wouldn't think of not having both PCP (deadly accurate and powerful) and a Springer, pure fun and accurate but more challenging.

Several fellows here have been very helpful too me. 

Oh, I have MCT Viper Connect (coolest because no eye relief) scope, Nikon 3x9x40 EFR (Best Buy of all my scopes), and a Hawke (heaviest).

Hey hammerhead (do you know my brother!!)
I like your idea and have thought of it too.
But I like the romance of the springer,
I also like the idea shooting long ranges .
Owning 47 years of guns I am entreagued with using air to be the propulsion of pellets in rifles that are beautifuly made.
Amazing rifles from Germany,English,Sweden,Russian,Turkish,Korea,
So sad to say! I also see the need for pcp guns
In a perfect world I see
a good springer in three calibers
a bull pup
a longe range pcp
a 10 m target rifle
So alas I am already smitten!

Joeb,
I just joined the forum, but I've been buying selling, and returning airguns for over a year now. The best bang for the buck is the line up at Flying Dragion Air Rifles. Not the ones out of the box mind you, but the ones that Mike Melleck performs the $100 full tune. I have an XS25 (copy of Diana 34) and I'm about to buy the XS46U which is the copy of the HW97. The finish and blueing are simple, but well done. After Mike finishes the gun, you'll have a world class airgun at a great discount. Just call him up and talk with him. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.Note: I own a .25 cal Synrod, a .25 cal Airforce Condor SS, and the .22 cal Xisico XS25. I shoot the XS25 every day and my PCP guns about twice a week now.