• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Installed the new steel PG4 Vortek HO tune kit in my TX200.

I don’t want to take sides here, but on my own hw95 I noticed an occasional grinding while cocking from the time I received it. I kept hoping that whatever was scraping inside would resolve itself, then finally broke down and disassembled the thing, cleaned it out inside, lubed it and reassembled. Inside I had a narrow strip of spalling about 1/4” wide, but I found no jagged corners or anything else that would account for it. Maybe the cocking shoe wasn’t aligned properly in its slot? I don’t know.

After reassembly all grinding seems to be gone and the gun is shooting well. I put about 100 shots through it and it now cocks smoothly and shoots well.

Edit: just want to make clear, the grinding I experienced on my own rifle was not related to a vortek kit. It was on a new hw95.

Last edited:
IMG_8780.jpeg

What is JM kit? im eventually going to try a different brand but for now im going to order a new shoe and tweak the factory original setup to see what i can get .
JM = Jim Maccari, the owner of Air Rifle Headquarters. His kits are top notch. I’ve used pg2/pg3 Vortek kits with success in the past, but there have been a lot of reports of galling and poor fit with the ‘new’ steel pg4 kits. I won’t use them. My preferred setup now is an ARH kit with a Vortek seal. Good luck.
R

Gentlemen, and others in this thread: Get the emotional outbursts under control. The personal attacks will not be allowed to remain and continued violations of the simple AGN rules will result in further consequences.

Review the rule set in its entierty:

FWIW, I put the ARH kit with a Vortek seal in my HW95 and after several thousand shots the cocking cycle is absolutely soundless until the piston latches in the trigger. Rifle averages 17 FPE with FTT 14.66 gr pellets. The 95 is a 2018 year model with the new style cocking shoe. I used GPL-205, Krytox, lube after a through clean/polish.

I have no knowledge of the Vortek kits. This is the ARH shot cycle.

AirShot, Yes it is a .22. I am sorry but I do not have a chronograph so I don't know the velocity. It seems to be shooting a little harder over the stock spring I had in but I can't tell for certain. I wish I did have a chronograph so I could see the deviation in 10 consecutive shots.

rwsmike, It was quite simple to put in. As I have read and seen the TX200 is perhaps the easiest springer gun to work on. The kit comes with a few simple instructions so just read them and follow them. Be sure and tap out the stock steel top piece that sits on top of the stock spring in the piston as the gun will not cock if you leave it in. Some will just drop right out but mine required I tap the piston stem in my hand and jar it out. It was stuck in the piston by the lubricant.
I can recommend the Caldwell chronograph which I have had good results with using my HW95L .22.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1015050210?pid=626107&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Chronographs,+Wind+Meters+&+Timers=&utm_content=626107&adlclid=fa0315ddd40a1c0545f370b02b57d496&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&msclkid=fa0315ddd40a1c0545f370b02b57d496&utm_term=4584894776053429

FWIW, I put the ARH kit with a Vortek seal in my HW95 and after several thousand shots the cocking cycle is absolutely soundless until the piston latches in the trigger. Rifle averages 17 FPE with FTT 14.66 gr pellets. The 95 is a 2018 year model with the new style cocking shoe. I used GPL-205, Krytox, lube after a through clean/polish.

I have no knowledge of the Vortek kits. This is the ARH shot cycle.
Sounds good, I use JM springs as well.💯

Reactions: Deerstalker