• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Installation help

So today I was installing the hill max flow valve in my marauder and everything was going great until I put the valve and gauge port back in. I nicked the crap out of the o ring on the valve and one of the o rings on the gauge port. I lubed them before I put it back in and it still nicked. any tips to prevent this in the future. 
Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt. Yep, so easy to do. Mainly because they aren't that careful about the fit and finish. I have a couple of my own.

I would recommend that when you take it apart again to replace the rings, you use a small file, if you have one. Or if you are steady handed, use a dremel with a small grinder wheel on it and go inside the gauge block hole and file away the burr left behind from the stamping of the hole. You will find that isn't the only hole with burrs so you might decide to work on those as well.
But your problem can be handled with a little bit of gentle work with a fine file. (or dremel). If you stick your finger in the hole and feel for the burr, you will find it. If it is nicking your rings, it is probably pretty sharp and easy to find. For myself, I just dressed the entire circle. But be careful. You don't want to take too much off. Just dress away the sharp part.

Also, when reinstalling, lubing the rings gently is good. As the first ring comes to that gauge hole, smash your thumb on there as if to hold the rings down as they pass. Especially as they go past the back of the hole, which is probably where the burr is.

Hope that helps.

Crusher

9220f6322419d6e283e9626169052ffc.jpg

I just cover the gauge hole with this, it's a plastic stop off the end of a sweat shirt that fits into the hole, the zip tie keeps it set at the correct depth. I also use pvc cut to the length as a stop so that the valve cannot go past onto the cut outs for sear & bolt.

Nice idea. Something like that would work. I do have to say though, that once I cleared the holes of burrs, mine slid right into place. Not a single nick and no leaks at all. In fact I put 2500 psi in it after the repair, which was about first week in January. Checked it a couple of days ago and it is still on 2500. Not bad for a Gen 1.. :) btw, still for sale.

Crusher

"BigTinBoat"
"MattR1267"Update: I got the hill valve in successfully thanks to this thread and my .177 marauder is producing over 30 ft lbs of energy.
I hope your using the 16g JSB's 'cause that would be over 1000fps even with the 13.4's

Yeah right, that is definitely scorching. I did the same with my .22 MROD, before installing the Hill high performance kit and deburred the port hole with a deburring ball included in his kit, and also plugged the hole with my thumb anyways as Crusher mentioned with zero leaks after airing up to about 1000 psi. I also use a deburring
27d2ea5b0bf51d34fa10ae65b80d0d2b.jpg
tool made by Shaviv for similar jobs.

"MattR1267"
"BigTinBoat"
"MattR1267"Update: I got the hill valve in successfully thanks to this thread and my .177 marauder is producing over 30 ft lbs of energy.
I hope your using the 16g JSB's 'cause that would be over 1000fps even with the 13.4's
Yeah I'm using the H and N 15.64 rabbit magnum and their going about 1050fps
That's movin' - Nice job!

"BigTinBoat"
"MattR1267"
"BigTinBoat"
Yeah I'm using the H and N 15.64 rabbit magnum and their going about 1050fps
That's movin' - Nice job!
Thanks! I might get the hill max flow transfer port and hammer spring to see if I can get to 35 ft lbs.

"MattR1267"
Thanks! I might get the hill max flow transfer port and hammer spring to see if I can get to 35 ft lbs.
I don't know that I would try to go any higher until you check the accuracy. 40fpe out of a .177 or 100fpe out of a .257 isn't any good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I like a flat shooting .177 at 20-25fpe vs the same 20-25fpe in a .22, but you get to a point of diminishing returns especially with the .177 where the heaviest (i think) pellets are 16.1g EJ's.

"BigTinBoat"
"MattR1267"
I don't know that I would try to go any higher until you check the accuracy. 40fpe out of a .177 or 100fpe out of a .257 isn't any good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I like a flat shooting .177 at 20-25fpe vs the same 20-25fpe in a .22, but you get to a point of diminishing returns especially with the .177 where the heaviest (i think) pellets are 16.1g EJ's.
solid point. I'll play around and see what works best.

Way to go Matt. That is definitely smokin' for a 177. Just a note about pellet speed. A squirrel or a target isn't going to know if you shot it with 19 fpe or 30 fpe. 

From personal experience with my Marauder, i found that shooting the JSB 13's at anything over about 925 caused them to destabilize. So faster is not necessarily better. As mentioned already, I would test it for accuracy. I would test at 25 and 50 yards so that you will know if it is destabilizing. If it is, it will be very obvious at 50 yards. 
I don't have any experience with the particular pellets you are shooting so I don't know how fast they can go and still be true. That might be a fun day or testing just proving that it is still accurate further out. And what happens if you slow it down just a bit? Do the groups tighten up? That would be a big tipoff that they are wobbling on the way to the target.

Just some food for thought :)

Congrats on getting her back together and shooting well. Mission accomplished.

Crusher

"Crusher"

Way to go Matt. That is definitely smokin' for a 177. Just a note about pellet speed. A squirrel or a target isn't going to know if you shot it with 19 fpe or 30 fpe. 
From personal experience with my Marauder, i found that shooting the JSB 13's at anything over about 925 caused them to destabilize. So faster is not necessarily better. As mentioned already, I would test it for accuracy. I would test at 25 and 50 yards so that you will know if it is destabilizing. If it is, it will be very obvious at 50 yards. 
I don't have any experience with the particular pellets you are shooting so I don't know how fast they can go and still be true. That might be a fun day or testing just proving that it is still accurate further out. And what happens if you slow it down just a bit? Do the groups tighten up? That would be a big tipoff that they are wobbling on the way to the target.
Just some food for thought :)
Congrats on getting her back together and shooting well. Mission accomplished.
Crusher
Hey Crusher! I tested it out at 30 yards today and they seem to be holding steady. I was able to get a 1 inch group. so far so good. :)