N/A Inside a Chinese Carbon Fiber Bottle (is this normal?)

In a factory that is held to actual quality standards. It’s not about who makes it, it’s about the quality of each and every piece.

Even the same factory has various machines and tooling and when those stop making good enough product for their prime customer, they can make product using tooling and raw materials that no longer meet standards and sell it directly.
In other words, You Pays Your Money And You Takes Your Chances. 😬

From scubaengineer.com:
https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictures/scba_cylinders/luxcompinspectmanual.pdf

"5.4 Internal Inspection
a)
Reject all cylinders with internal isolated corrosion pit(s) estimated to be more than 0.03 inches
(0.76 mm) deep.

b) Reject all cylinders with sidewall line or broad-spread corrosion when one or more interior
pit(s) in the line corrosion is deeper than 0.020 inches (0.51 mm), and/or if the interior broad-
spread corrosion is deeper than 0.020 inches (0.51 mm).

c) Reject all cylinders that have bulges or dents on the inside of the liner. This indicates severe
impact or another form of serious damage."

The thread depth is around 0.7mm and the roughness of the inner surface is nowhere
near a) and b). Passes (c) as well.

So, I guess some roughness is allowed even when corroded in someway.
Now I am very curious to see the inside of an FX bottle.
If we do not have any photos, everything else is speculation.

From scubaengineer.com:
https://www.scubaengineer.com/pictures/scba_cylinders/luxcompinspectmanual.pdf

"5.4 Internal Inspection
a)
Reject all cylinders with internal isolated corrosion pit(s) estimated to be more than 0.03 inches
(0.76 mm) deep.

b) Reject all cylinders with sidewall line or broad-spread corrosion when one or more interior
pit(s) in the line corrosion is deeper than 0.020 inches (0.51 mm), and/or if the interior broad-
spread corrosion is deeper than 0.020 inches (0.51 mm).

c) Reject all cylinders that have bulges or dents on the inside of the liner. This indicates severe
impact or another form of serious damage."

The thread depth is around 0.7mm and the roughness of the inner surface is nowhere
near a) and b). Passes (c) as well.

So, I guess some roughness is allowed even when corroded in someway.
Now I am very curious to see the inside of an FX bottle.
If we do not have any photos, everything else is speculation.
Those specs are for aluminum and steel scuba tanks. You might want to check if those same specs apply to SCBA’s. The liners in SCBA’s are very very thin compared to a aluminum scuba tank.

Reactions: hgg2k
your saying customs would reject this tank ?
I don’t know what customs thinks. I do believe it could be illegal to have a high pressure tank in the EU that doesn’t have PED certification.

And then there is the common sense factor - if it’s never been tested then do you want to fill it with air and hope it holds? Hope it doesn’t burst in a hot car? Hope it doesn’t burst when you clamp a bipod to it? I’m not rich but I can afford a hydro tested tank.

In the US it can be illegal per the applicable DOT regulations, which is a whole other subject.

Are you sure? See photo screen shot from your link, page 21, section 6C. It says .030” for SCBA, .060 for aluminum scuba tank. I highly doubt you have any pits. But longitudinal scratches 6” long are condemning.

0B8C6CBE-BE7C-4668-A3C6-FDFFCEDF145F.jpeg

Yeah, nothing on the label compared to quality made SCBA’s (not to say yours is junk).
And not aware what Q/JB TH0015 means but a quick google search shows that it references the REE number.
See link, bottom of page on link.
Read one time that a 4500 psi 45 minute SCBA can raise a fire truck ten stories. So if your much smaller SCBA lets loose it might only raise your car five or ten feet. 😳

Last edited: