AEA Insane pump-action PCP

Not a big fan of AEAs semi-auto lineup and I have no experience with their bolt-actions, but this pump-action Megalodon looks like a beast. 400ft-lb. .50 cal. 8 round mags. It's a proper shotgun, I mean.. damn. No price or release date yet as far as I'm aware. In fact, this seems to be the only video that exists of it so far.

The english presentation starts at 15:30:

Anything above .25 is too much, and even .25 is borderline. Higher calibers are too unsilenceable and too expensive (per shot) to shoot for fun.
Foot pounds is also a bit meh as a metric; 1x .50 slug at 400 fpe is the same thing as 4x .25 slugs at 100 fpe (because this is the exact same cross-sectional area and energy).
If you don't have at least 1000 shots with something, you don't really own it. And with some things you very are unlikely to get there.

Last edited:
Anything above .25 is too much, and even .25 is borderline.
This is probably a controversial opinion but I actually agree with this. I long considered stepping up to a .30 cal but considering a .22lr easily outperforms almost every .30 in every category it just isn't making any sense to me anymore. All these big bore air rifles are going to lead to regulations and background checks for air rifles. I'm in favor of making .25 the largest bore for air rifles to avoid regulation. That's not "being paranoid" as many like to say it's just the logical reality of the direction of this market if all this nonsense continues.

This is probably a controversial opinion but I actually agree with this. I long considered stepping up to a .30 cal but considering a .22lr easily outperforms almost every .30 in every category it just isn't making any sense to me anymore. All these big bore air rifles are going to lead to regulations and background checks for air rifles. I'm in favor of making .25 the largest bore for air rifles to avoid regulation. That's not "being paranoid" as many like to say it's just the logical reality of the direction of this market if all this nonsense continues.
Not every country has easy access to 22lr though. The world is bigger than the US. As someone who lives in a country where firearms are not readily available for the avarage citizen, being able to lay down some smack downrange with an air rifle is a godsent.

I love power, the same way others love fast cars. Is it necessary to own car that goes 0 to 100 in 3 seconds? No. But some people want one. Likewise, are powerful airguns necesssary for plinking? No. Is it fun to incinerate a coconut with a .45... oh yeah ^^

As for regulations, that is a whole 'nother can of worms. And will also differ per country/region. Heck, many european countries already have regulation in place for things like power, caliber, aeathetics etc. We are already there. Like with every technology, airguns are being pushed to the limit. Someday, somewhere, someone is gonna invent some 400ft-lbs full-auto beast with a 40 round capacity... it will happen. In the meantime we just enjoy the hobby for as long as it lasts, haha.

It's not what people want to hear but... it is what it is.

Big bore is still cheaper than equivalent cartridge. The cheapest .51 I got was like $0.30. .308 is more than $1 in any case. Airgun slug I can pour/swage on my own from recycled lead. I can use big bore air for hunting two more weeks, during primitive firearms season. It still has some benefits over firearms. But I agree a firearm is more universal and convenient.

I think it’s cute that you think self regulation is the answer to preventing tyrannical state governments from enacting controls on airguns.

Though you are correct in your assertion that more power will beget more regulation, understand this, the people in government who do such things hate all of us and are vindictive small minded tyrants. Don’t believe me? Ask a few gun owners unfortunate enough to live in California.

Self regulation does nothing except provide a blueprint for further restrictions.

We should never provide step by step instructions that outline exactly where on our necks they should place their boots.

Kral makes a pump pcp called the rambo, that is in 22 and 25 I believe. I have one in 22. Of course it's nowhere near this powerful, but it's more economic for plinking and its based on the same platform as the newer breakers which are pretty robust and easy to fix if ever needed.

This new cannon from AEA would do well on a hog hunt... til you run low on air and switch to a shotty or AR.

Wonder if they'll try and make some buckshot rounds for it? Now that would be innovative.

Reactions: Bmackinc
I think it’s cute that you think self regulation is the answer to preventing tyrannical state governments from enacting controls on airguns.

Though you are correct in your assertion that more power will beget more regulation, understand this, the people in government who do such things hate all of us and are vindictive small minded tyrants. Don’t believe me? Ask a few gun owners unfortunate enough to live in California.

Self regulation does nothing except provide a blueprint for further restrictions.

We should never provide step by step instructions that outline exactly where on our necks they should place their boots.
Exactly. The reasoning seems to be that we should refrain from exercising our freedoms so that they don't take our freedoms away from us.

I see a lot of complains about AEA but dang, those guys sure keep coming out with all kinds of cool stuff.

A lot of complains but also a lot of people like them so good on them
I like the design on the HP Max, and if it wasn't for the bad feedback I might have owned one.
I do have a Rex P in .35, which has been worked on extensively, and this is the one major reason for my cooling down on big bores: I never shoot it, despite it being the perfect Rex P. It's too loud even with all the DonnyFLs in front of it (though I might still try to line up the shroud with padding on the inside).
I know this take would be different if I actually hunted (with anything), but I don't- so I can't speak for hunting uses. But target shooting for fun - been there tried that, and now I'm back to 22-25. I know the sentiment, just sharing my specific outcome.

I like the design on the HP Max, and if it wasn't for the bad feedback I might have owned one.
I do have a Rex P in .35, which has been worked on extensively, and this is the one major reason for my cooling down on big bores: I never shoot it, despite it being the perfect Rex P. It's too loud even with all the DonnyFLs in front of it (though I might still try to line up the shroud with padding on the inside).
I know this take would be different if I actually hunted (with anything), but I don't- so I can't speak for hunting uses. But target shooting for fun - been there tried that, and now I'm back to 22-25. I know the sentiment, just sharing my specific outcome.
I agree on the big bores. I recently finished up my first 357 build, and even at only 102 fpe with a full shroud and baffles, it is pretty loud. Just the action and hammer/bottle ping will get your attention. I haven't shot it outside yet, but over the chrony is almost ear pro level.

Once my stock shows up, I will find out just how loud it is out there. I've got a feeling it wont get shot much in the backyard.