• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Inline fill/pressure gauge for tank use?

Hi Folks!

I'm new enough, that I don't know the proper name for an item, but I'd call it an "inline pressure/fill gauge" for air tank to gun use... with foster fittings on each end.... like this.....

pcpgauge.1617109455.png

Here's the gist.... I purchased a second hand, 30 cu ft air tank, which has the gauge integrated with the valve....and it's WAY OFF, as in about 1000psi to the low side. It doesn't really bother me filling the tank, because I have the gauge/cut off on my compressor. Where it does create an issue, is filling the gun. The gauge on the Marauder is on the underside of the fore stock, and it's one of those things where I'd need 4 hands to hold the gun to see the gauge, and feather the tank valve to fill. Anybody know where I could find one of these.... or the parts to put it together myself? I've spent some time trying to look it up on the net, but must not be using the correct words/terms.... because I simply can't locate it.

How about lay the gun down on it's side connect the fill whip and then operate the tank valve. I have several guns that it is not easy to see the gauge on when holding the gun. But once it is down I can position myself near enough to the gun to see the gauge and turn the tank valve at the same time. Gauges are cheap so there is no reason not to replace your tank gauge. The less clutter near the end of your fill whip the easier it is to connect to the gun.

But if you really think you need an inline pressure gauge you can get one here. When they are available that is.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Inline_Air_Pressure_Gauge_0_to_4500_psi/3865

Sorry not much help seems nobody has one although you can likely piece one together if you have need to.

What you need is a three-way T fitting rated for HP. It can be three-way female or female in the middle and whatever you like on the ends. Foster type QD male or female depending o what suits your T and the orientation of your hose fittings. Thread types can be either 1/8 BSP, 1/8 NPT, or M10x1 depending on preference or availability. 1/8 NPT is probably the easiest to find in the states and only requires thread tape or glue to make a seal. The other types have parallel threads that require special washers to seal properly. The T piece should be able to be found at any hydraulic hose and fitting supplier. The QD fittings and gauge can be found at any of the main airgun suppliers or from eBay, Amazon, or AliExpress, these will be a lot cheaper but you will have to wait for the slow boat from China. If you go the Chinese route, make sure that they're rated for 4500. Some of the product from there is only rated for paintball. There are gauges that can be had for a couple of bucks from Ali Express to probably over a hundred for a real quality unit. Some say that the cheap ones aren't accurate but I have a few as well as a couple of the $20 variety and they are all good, one of the cheap ones being 100 PSI high and the other reading 100 PSI low. All my other 8 gauges are spot on. The easiest solution to your problem would be to work out what the exact error is in the faulty gauge and mark the true position on the dial face with a sharpie.

While I was writing this a few more replies appeared. Flinstone's offer sounds pretty good. My advice may be of use if you want to make some other filling device. Cheers.

How about lay the gun down on it's side connect the fill whip and then operate the tank valve. I have several guns that it is not easy to see the gauge on when holding the gun. But once it is down I can position myself near enough to the gun to see the gauge and turn the tank valve at the same time. Gauges are cheap so there is no reason not to replace your tank gauge. The less clutter near the end of your fill whip the easier it is to connect to the gun.

Agree Bio, x 2...

If you have sand bags, set up the rifle gauge facing up so you can see the gauge hands free easy. My neighbor made some wooden V blocks just for this purpose.

Not sure about your particular gauge, but some are able to be calibrated by spinning the outer housing/dial. Just as an example, (not a pcp hpa gauge pictured) here is a pic of gauge that has a hex for a wrench on the back so you can adjust it to set zero or set to good known pressure. Don't confuse this gauge adjustment hex for the hex on the threaded nipple end for tightening the pressure connection. Even if the gauge doesn't have a wrench hex for calibration, some allow you to spin the outer dial housing/gauge scale, while holding the pressure nipple/fitting so as to be able to zero the gauge...

You just hold the nipple with some pliers and spin the hex/dial till it zero's up. On some hold the pressure fitting with wrench and use pliers wrapped with some cloth/rubber/protector, and gently grab dial (like you would a pipe) and spin till zero'd. its usually not real loose to move, its a little stiff and should be, but can be moved easily to calibrate, if thats the type gauge you have. At zero psi (all hpa disconnected open to atm) does your gauge register 0..? All gauges have to be able to be calibrated, at least at the factory final assembly...

Some gauges have to be calibrated internally by bending/adjusting the Bourdon tube/linkage if there is no calibration screw or rotating dial/housing..

Most All gauges, even if 'integrated' still are probably able to be changed out. You just have to figure out how to disassemble it without damage to surrounding parts. Someone put it together, so it has to come apart.

gauge adjustment hex.1617121826.jpg

jmo

I've got the tank filled ot 4000psi according to the gauge on my compressor, so once I get it empty, I will dink around with it and see about getting at the gauge without wrecking anything.

The whole idea for the tank is for the field....so there won't be any sandbags, tables, Vblocks or such..... at best I'll be on the ATV or foot.... and have to refill the gun in whatever the situation of the moment finds me. 

This being my first PCP gun, I intend to practice a bit at filling the gun via the tank while at home/on my shooting bench, the part I described with the pic in my initial post is simply for my peace of mind, instead of me hoping my guess at filling the gun is correct/safe. ;) 

More to come!