Initial Wildcat 3 Compact BT .22 Observations

Configuration - As delivered with addition of carbon fiber barrel sleeve, DonnyFL Sumo, and Optisan CP 3-12x32p scope. Cleaned barrel and started shooting.

Good balance, accurate with JSB 18.13 gr Jumbo Heavy pellets at hammer settings of 1, 2, and 3. Hammer at 2 was most accurate. Looks like factory setup is for JSB 18.13 gr pellets

Initial magazine insertion was tight and felt like pellet probe was dragging when cocking. This was so concerning that I bought a second magazine to see if it was a magazine problem. The new mag exhibited the same issue. Both mags smoothed out after about 100 pellets through each mag.

The regulator gauge is small and hard to read accurately. Fat needle with a compressed scale. It is a wika/fx branded gauge so I believe it is accurate but very hard to read (at least for my old eyes). Ordered a 23mm Huma gauge with slightly larger scale and thinner needle to see if it would help me accurately read the gauge. No issues with bottle pressure gauge.

Overall an excellent handling and accurate bullpup right out of the box!

Next step is to experiment with slugs. Then see if there is a setup that will allow me to shoot slugs at a high hammer wheel setting and a good pellet setting at a lower hammer wheel setting without having to change regulator settings. Maybe wishful thinking but worth a try.

JSB 18.13 gr Jumbo Heavy pellets at various hammer settings:

Hammer = 7

Average – 928

Spread – 12

STD Dev – 2.3

Hammer = 6

Average – 920

Spread – 9

STD Dev – 2.2

Hammer = 5

Average – 887

Spread – 16

STD Dev – 4.8

Hammer = 4

Average – 844

Spread – 23

STD Dev – 7.1

Hammer = 3

Average – 786

Spread – 33

STD Dev – 9.4

Hammer = 2

Average – 727

Spread – 25

STD Dev – 7.5

Hammer = 1

Average – 657

Spread – 46

STD Dev – 14.4

Here you go

Wildcat 1.1649547363.jpg

The bottle reg can't be seen unless the plenum reg is wide open. The plenum regulator is currently somewhere between 110 and 120 bar as best I can tell. The gauge that shows the regulator pressures is very hard to read accurately. This is why I have ordered a new Huma regulator to replace the FX regulator. I have attached a picture of the regulator pressure gauge. Unfortunately I had to take the picture at an angle because the flash washed it out if I was directly pointing at the gauge.

reg gauge.1649553904.JPG

The bottle reg can't be seen unless the plenum reg is wide open. The plenum regulator is currently somewhere between 110 and 120 bar as best I can tell. The gauge that shows the regulator pressures is very hard to read accurately. This is why I have ordered a new Huma regulator to replace the FX regulator. I have attached a picture of the regulator pressure gauge. Unfortunately I had to take the picture at an angle because the flash washed it out if I was directly pointing at the gauge.

reg gauge.1649553904.JPG

put a 25 mm sehkment gauge on it i bet be very nice 

Wow, so that's the kind of gauge I get when I shell out one and a half large ones...? 

Extra fat needle

AND

Extra compressed scale

So, then I go online shopping to replace my brand new big-brand gauge on a big-brand gun — with another big-brand gauge...?

Forgive my gawking in utter disbelief. I was born that way. 

Matthias

Patrick

I have 2 boxes of 17.5gr NSA slugs that I will try before I start messing with changing any of the factory settings. Also have 2 boxes of FX 22gr Hybrid slugs I will try. What is your experience with the NSA 17.5gr vs 20.2gr slugs?

Frank

Frank, I actually have no experience with either. I usually shoot heavier. Just researched the possibility of slug weights that were close to the 18.13's you are shooting, keeping your tune intact and hopefully some nice groups as well. I now have my WC MK3 tuned down for liteweight pellets (18gr and under). I will be ordering both the NSA 17 and 20's to test and see the possibilities.

Patrick

I actually have shot 17 and 20s out of my Maverick. The 17's were my first and only group that was MOA or better (with any type of rifle including powderburners). That was with standard 700mm liner and were at 1060 FPS 

Did you know that if you shoot a squirrel head on with a 17.5 grain JSB at 1060 FPS from 10 feet that it will go ALL the way through the length of it?

The_More_You_Know_0-0_screenshot.1649633827.jpg