• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Initial scope mounting in the rings

Okay I have mounted my NightForce SHV in FX no limits rings and I zeroed it at 50 yards. My problem is I have to turn the turret over one complete revolution to get out to 125 yards and several full revolution to get to 200 yards. Did I mount it pointing to far down in front? I see scopes on youtube with the scope stickers one on top of the other and people turning less then one revolution for over 100 yards, I want to be able to do that.

Shooting .25 slugs at 960 fps from an Impact MRII, 700mm duel bottle monster. The gun shoots great and I love it just no so much my scope setup. Any suggestion on a video that might help or does someone have an answer to my problem. Thanks in Advance...Jim

You are not going to change the path of a fired round. What I would do is optically center the vertical only, set target at the distance you shoot the most, fire a round from a solid rest, with gun not moving use the ring adjustment to point the scope to fired round. Then repeat to check optical center pointing. Now the flight path is what it is. You can also if you wish give more vertical up if you wish, but as I say you can change the zero point but if a bullet drop is "x" at a distance it's still going to be "x" but you have used the adjustable rings to take part of the of the drop adjustment into account. I have the scope on a Crown, don't target shoot the distance you do, I optically centered at 30 yards so my second zero is nearing 50 yards and at a 10 mil hold over at 100 yards, .22 18.13 870 fps at 4200 elevation. I pest and most of the time dialing is out of thr question. You can zero where you wish but as I say you can't change the drop, it will be 32' per second per second.

As others have said. What you are dealing with is the flight of the bullet. Sounds to me what you are dealing with is not the problem of the scope or mounts. Beyond 75 yards these pellets or slugs are dropping BECAUSE of their initial muzzle velocity 

These guns are still air rifles and 930 FPS is still relatively slow

The guys that are shooting long range are probably using their no limit rings to zero the rifle at a greater distance.

No matter how much vertical adjustment you have in a scope at some point you will run out. You have to accept some compromise .

my guess is guys that are shooting at 300 yards are probably using their no limit rings to get on at 200. I don’t know. 100 is about my limit. Beyond that the drop and WIND-get the better of me. 

I am amazed at what some of the guys are doing with air rifles. If you follow their “stories” this long range stuff doesn’t just happen. There is a lot that goes into it. Frankly if I want to shoot 200 yards and further I have chosen to take an easier path. You can compensate for limited muzzle velocity and bullet weight but it’s challenging.

As others have said. What you are dealing with is the flight of the bullet. Sounds to me what you are dealing with is not the problem of the scope or mounts. Beyond 75 yards these pellets or slugs are dropping BECAUSE of their initial muzzle velocity 

These guns are still air rifles and 930 FPS is still relatively slow

The guys that are shooting long range are probably using their no limit rings to zero the rifle at a greater distance.

No matter how much vertical adjustment you have in a scope at some point you will run out. You have to accept some compromise .

my guess is guys that are shooting at 300 yards are probably using their no limit rings to get on at 200. I don’t know. 100 is about my limit. Beyond that the drop and WIND-get the better of me.

Agree 100%. Especially the wind part as a shooter can only measure it where they stand and must "read it" (guess) beyond that point. Even with ribbons or flags placed, it is still very much a guess.

Jim, 😊

it sounds like(?) your turret is one of the typical turrets that only moves 5 or 6 mil per revolution / or 15 moa. 

🔶 For that reasons I like scopes that have turrets that dial 10 mil per revolution (25 or 30 moa). 

🔷 Still, shooting an airgun out to 200y it is unavoidable that you'll have to dial the turret for more than one revolution — especially if you use heavy projectiles (worse when they have a low BC, but your slugs should be just fine).

Of course, you could always zero the gun at 200 yards, then you won't need to dial nothin'....! 🤣

🔶For that reason I like scopes with (a) turret revolution indicators (little lines that show how many revolutions you're up), and

(b) I like scopes with a zero stop (factory or DIY), that allows you to dial blindly back to your zero (within a couple of mil), no guessing.

🔶 Should your scope run out of elevation, even with adjustable rings, you can always add 20 or 30moa by combining the adjustable rings with a canted rail.... 😄 

Matthias