• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple or 3 years ago I helped the daughter of a member who died sell off his airgun stuff (Art - PCPWANNABE). She had no idea what to do or where to turn. I just felt it was the right thing to do for a grieving family member. If there were SOME way to give people in that situation some aid or options I fully support that. It's tough enough dealing with that loss, let alone not knowing the who, what, where to go aspect of divesting equipment you know NOTHING about. Our maker put us here to help each other imho, so let's do it!

I have promised my two shooting buddies that should they check out before me , I would make every effort to help their survivors recoup some of the investment. I hope they will do the same for me. Personally, there is a place for this kind of transaction.....................just not sure how to address it.
Could be a breeding ground for scammers . I'm sure that there could be an area in the forum for this type of sale ; from someone who knows nothing about air gun equipment nor has any interest in becoming a "full fledged member" with permissions to sell in the classified ads or pm individual members.
Again, this has merit but I honestly don't have a concrete answer as how to go about it.

if there was a place like this forum that listed air gun buyers that would or could buy X amount of guns, just make a list
and then the seller can contact the buyers of such lots and then the forum is no more than a buyer directory
would the list be 2 or 3 companies or individuals or a dozen and how would the list be generated
like all lists it would take time
and what is a collection 5-20-50-100 or more, some of us have more guns than we ever let on to have and many gun some of us would love to have

just a thought

I've often wondered how my family could sell my airguns should I "check out" suddenly. They would have no idea of the value or how to sell my expensive toys. I've often wondered if it would be acceptable to allow my daughter, son-in-law or wife to post them under my screen name, as long as this was acknowledged in the ad. No issue with meeting post requirement, yet still dealing, albeit indirectly, with an established members family. Seems to me an estate classified listing using the deceased agn handle is a great idea. Since the family/sellers don't have any idea what the value is why not allow bids in this scenario? I suspect I'm not the only member who doesn't "share" how much is actually spent on this hobby.

if there was a place like this forum that listed air gun buyers that would or could buy X amount of guns, just make a list
and then the seller can contact the buyers of such lots and then the forum is no more than a buyer directory
would the list be 2 or 3 companies or individuals or a dozen and how would the list be generated
like all lists it would take time
and what is a collection 5-20-50-100 or more, some of us have more guns than we ever let on to have and many gun some of us would love to have

just a thought
Pretty much what I said above.

I would truly like to see the "classified" section of AGN be a sort of "members only" type thing. In other words, I don't see those posts unless I actively enable/join that forum. Make it a private sub-forum, that you can ONLY access if you opt in. It would make browsing the AGN forum much nicer for those of us who are only here to share info about airguns and aren't interested in buying or selling..

Yeah, I know that isn't going to happen on AGN, but one can always hope!

All my best!

Kerry

I agree with everyone saying do not bend the rules for listing in the classifieds...HOWEVER, as someone who lives nowhere near an airgun dealer or a pawn shop that would be honest about the value of the Newley acquired airguns I can see a "need" for another option. I think allowing posts that do not have prices and are not really set up as a classifieds listing could be beneficial. the main reason for the classified rules are to prevent people from collecting money and never shipping the guns right? so yeah maybe a no shipping allowed option? maybe just tell people to meet in a public place during the day time or something along those lines? its a tricky one and I genuinely see both sides of this case. Im reading a lot of comments about posting on eBay, and yeah for some that may not be a problem...but as someone who used to sell on eBay often, they take over 13% now I believe. Sure if it's a gun you got for free that may not be an issue but all the same. I guess what im saying is if a new section gets added for these classified listings that aren't really classified listings I would be all for it, and if not, I respect the decision all the same.

You should have a consignment service where people can send all their airguns to AGN (have some minimum QTY) you take your fee (what ever percent you think is reasonable) and use some of that towards the upkeep of the site for the benefit of all. No pawn shop or bid house will have any idea was a fancy "pellet rifle" is worth and having helped out in a situation like this for firearms (17 of them left in safe years after the husband died) I can tell you family members in most just want to be rid of all these things at once and are not looking to make any money from some airgun collection they may know nothing about they just want them gone since they have much more import things to deal with after the death of a family member.

I’m torn here. I’ve worked with people selling airguns from an estate and I really want to ensure they get a fair price. Especially good airguns.

First, if a member inherited a collection and goes through the proper new member process, great. Change nothing and let them sell direct once they have settled in.

On the other hand, I see so many airguns going unsold on these classifieds and so it seems used airguns just don’t sell well. So unlike firearms, the sell ability of an airgun estate depends greatly on what’s in it and it’s not a problem that we on this forum are in a position to solve. Plus there is risk buying something from someone who doesn’t understand what they are trying to sell. The line between ignorance, incompetence, and scammer is blurry at times.

I think we could allow new members to post info about estate items but prohibit any sales from happening here until they reach the minimums. They can post a link to the auction. If anything can help them it’s putting visibility on their items.

OK who is ready to make a list with all pertinent information including what you paid and what it is worth and give it to your spouse in case your run over by a bus ?
Already did that years ago! Ironically, I just updated the list yesterday to delete sold items, and add the new. (Wife reminded me).
We keep it in our house safe, along with all other important papers.
I type it up, with all info and price, ready for her, or someone else, to post for sale.
I do the same with all my RC aircraft.
Have fun!

OR .... establish a listing of Persons or AG clubs in a somewhat geographic order one who has such inherited collections could reach out to for assistance.

Here in Nor Cal our clubs past & present leadership has in the last 10 years or so helped 4 widows of fallen club members with similar issues of What To Do with all the guns, equipment & gear.

Trusted individuals need only apply ;)

Reactions: Ezana4CE
OK who is ready to make a list with all pertinent information including what you paid and what it is worth and give it to your spouse in case your run over by a bus ?

She knows how to get in contact with enough of my friends to find out what everything is and is worth. She has also already signed the seller line on the papers of all the registered horses to make it easier on me if I have to find homes for them. The associations make it nearly impossible to tranfer ownership of horses whose owner dies. They end up at auction as "grade livestock" without papers and cannot continue to compete in the breed associations.

Status
Not open for further replies.